Question Receiver + Sky DD help

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by paul211b, Apr 21, 2016.

1. paul211b

paul211b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    Wondering if anyone can help me?
    I am using a sky+ HD box connected to my Pioneer SC-LX73 receiver
    connected via HDMI.
    When watching something that has surround sound the centre speaker is not working.
    The receiver just says stereo and I have direct selected on the amp, is this correct? Or should i be selecting one of the many Dolby/THX options?
    The setup on the sky box only allows you to select "DD" on the audio out (OPTICAL) option.
    Any help appreciated.

Finally have this working on a PC connected via HDMI should this also be set to Direct? Can someone explain to a nube what all these settings are for, I always assumed direct was the one to use as you get the original audio. The receiver never changes to Dolby digital or DTS always says "stereo"

thanks.

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,355
    If you've only the settings option to output Dolby Digital via the optical output on your SKY box then this indcates that the box you are using either hasn't had the firmware update that allows SKY HD boxes to output Dolby Digital via HDMI or that your box is unable to have this update applied. As it stands, you cannot output Dolby Digital from the SKY STB you have using an HDMI connection and this is why you are only getting stereo PCM from that box. On boxes that have the ability to output Dolby Digital via HDMI you get a setting to determine what is output via the HDMI connection along with the option that determines what is output via the optical output.

3. paul211b

paul211b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    That would explain it then, bloody sky. Free box upgrade needed then.

Why all the Dolby/THX surround wide/front options on these receivers? Does anyone use them at all? Is direct on this receiver the way to go?

4. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,355
    Some of the modes can be used to create pseudo surrounf from content not natevely encoded with a surround sound format. TV content for instances isn't all encoded with Dolby Digital 5.1 and most of it will have only 2 channels stereo audio. A mode such as Dolby's Pro LOgic II can be used with such content to create pseudio 5.1 from just the 2 native audio channels present.

5. paul211b

paul211b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    I have plugged in an optical cable and when on the receiver menu it's working. But as soon as the sky picture comes back the hdmi audio seems to take over. How do I turn this off? Nothing obvious in the sky menu. Thanks

6. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,355
    It depends upon the receiver, but most allow you to reassign an optical audio input for use with the video sourced via another input such as HDMI. Ypu'll have to look at how to do this with your receiver.

7. paul211b

paul211b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    Yeah have done that. Works when in the receiver menu as the screen is blank soon as exit the menu the sky picture back and the audio changes arrgghhhh

8. paul211b

paul211b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    Had the same issue with my pc had to disable hdmi audio from the sound card don't know how to do that on an old sky box.

9. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,355
    You don;t need to do this. The SKY box outputs audio simultaneously via both the HDMI and optical outputs. You have to assign the optical audio to the HDMI input on the receiver so it uses the optical audio input in association with the video from the HDMI input for the same source. This is done via the receiver's input assignments. Note that only the optical 2 and 3 inputs are assignable.

10. paul211b

paul211b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    Think I fixed it. Was looking through the receiver menus and nothing to change the signal from auto, so hdmi was always selected. Just found on the remote sigselect this did the job, I can set digital to that hdmi