1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Receiver Signal to Noise Ratio

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Juzminator, Nov 26, 2003.

1. Juzminator

Juzminator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello guys - I'm terribly sorry if this looks like another "which is best" thread, but I'm in a bit of a pickle.

I'm gonna be getting a new amp/receiver, and *I* want the Yammy RXV740RDS, but the missus (WAF in full effect) prefers the *ahem* looks of the Pioneer VSXD912. Now...I'm pretty easy either way, as I'm considering myself lucky to able to upgrade (no sniggering at the back about being a wuss now), and I can see that the two models are pretty tightly matched feature for feature.

Here's the meat of this thread:

The Yammy has a listed S/N ratio of 100db, whereas the Pioneer has a S/N ratio of 88db. I'm not a complete audiophile, but I do know that the higher the S/N ratio is, the better (hence why I bought an Alpine head unit in the car - not worried about flashing lights, it's the sound that matters) - is the Pioneer's 88db shockingly bad? Will it be one of those things that I anally worry about while turning the volume right up with no disc is being played so that I can listen out for any hiss? WILL I hear hiss/crackle etc.? Do you get my drift?

What do you all think? I would really appreaciate your thoughts as this purchase is (hopefully) imminent.

God - I feel like a nerd for asking this :blush:

EDIT: I must just add that a demo of any of these is gonna be impossible, and that I'll be replacing a Yamaha VS-10 all-in-one jobby (speakers will have to be purchased later as the sub with the VS10 ONLY links to the VS10 amp - it's got a kinda "system" link d-pin thingummy)

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    S/N ratio does matter, but you would need to know what the ratios are to compare. Given that you dont know how these ratios are measured and specs are often wrong in the first place, i would place exactly zero percent of my decision on this

ad

3. Juzminator

Juzminator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Wow - cheers for the prompt reply, buns - whilst I understand what you're saying, the gadget-freak/stupid geek in me is screaming "it's a cack S/N ratio!!!" Do you dig?

4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    88 is LOW, 100 is fine, not heard either though

5. Juzminator

Juzminator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hmmm...after looking at Pioneer's webby, even their flagship AX10i only has an S/N ratio of 93db....I'm seriously wondering if Pioneer either measure this in a totally different way to everyone else, or if they're just more honest...or if their products just don't output as "pure" a result as others. Odd.

6. Juzminator

Juzminator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    So - anyone else got any opinions on this? I'd appreciate any more feedback as, like I say, I can't actually demo either model for myself :(

7. Juzminator

Juzminator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    FYI (yeah, as if anyone actually cares *sob*) I went for the Yamaha in the end.

Although I love my Pioneer DV737 DVD player, I just know too many people who own and rave about Yamaha amps (Hell, even my VS-10 is an impressive-sounding bit of kit for the money) to take the "risk" on a Pioneer amp.

The real bummer is that my VS-10 sub/sat system won't actually work with ANY standalone amp, so I've got the RX-V740 sitting in a box till I can afford to get some more speakers, and, when I'm ready to purchase I'll be sure to ask for help on here ;)

8. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just dem them both and hope you prefer the pioneer.