Standard Member
Hello all,

My current setup is as follows:
2xB&W 683 towers
2xB&W 686 bookshelf rears
1xHTM61 S2 center
1xMonolith 15" sub

This is on a x2400h

This is placed in a living room, and not a dedicated audio room. (getting a second sub isn't an option)
I'm planning to upgrade to a 5.1.2 system soon, and may down the line get a 7.1.2 system going.
I would like to upgrade my receiver to fit future needs so mine needs an upgrades something that will last me quite a few years.
My usage is 80% movies and 20% music

My budget is between 1500-2000€, while I could spend 2000, it would have to be somewhat justified.
This presents me with several options:

• Denon X3700h or Marantz SR6015 for 1100€/1300€
  • Denon X4700h or Marantz SR7017 for 1600€/1900€
I could in theory get the cheaper X3700h and just add a stereo amp, but I'm doubtfull that I can get a good enough amp with my entire budget to make an impact.

On the other side of things I've been recommended to go a different route and look at a dirac receiver such as the NAD t758 v3i or the NAD t778 (which is well above my price range).
I could afford the NAD T58 v3i, but I'm not sure about replacing a 7.1 receiver with another 7.1 receiver, the T778 does look good, but at +3000€ that's very steep, and well above my current budget, and at that price I could get an anthem mrx 740.

I'm unaware of how other brands like Onkyo or Pioneer are doing these days.
Any advice or suggestions here would be appreciated, currently I believe that the X3700h is the "best value" option and should fit my needs quite well.

gibbsy

The Denon X3700 is a very well received AV amp but is not as good as it's Marantz stable mates stereo music performance. Neither though will compete with an integrated stereo amp when it comes to music. You will indeed need the X3700's pre-outs to be able to connect a stereo amp that has HT by-pass abilities. Not a cheap option but certainly the most convenient one.

If you want a one box solution, which will probably be the cheapest over a Denon and by-pass amp then you would indeed to look at NAD, Arcam or Anthem. It's yet to be discovered how good the Dirac loaded Onkyo and Pioneers will be. Dirac on these models is certainly going to be a game changer and may very well leave the Audyssey equipped Denons and Marantz trailing in the dust.

Your choices, as I see it, is to purchase the Denon X3700 and live with it add a good HT by-pass stereo amp when the budget allows. Stretch your budget for a better one box solution, NAD as you have implied. Perhaps the last option is wait for the Onkyo and Pioneer models to arrive and be reviewed.

One review here, posted by DIrac.

I used a Rega stereo amp alongside my Denon AV amp for a number of years as I've always liked Denon for film and TV but found them lacking for music. Once set up both Denon and Rega worked seamlessly together, as it would with all stereo amps that have the ability.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Hello all,

My current setup is as follows:
2xB&W 683 towers
2xB&W 686 bookshelf rears
1xHTM61 S2 center
1xMonolith 15" sub

This is on a x2400h

This is placed in a living room, and not a dedicated audio room. (getting a second sub isn't an option)
I'm planning to upgrade to a 5.1.2 system soon, and may down the line get a 7.1.2 system going.
I would like to upgrade my receiver to fit future needs so mine needs an upgrades something that will last me quite a few years.
My usage is 80% movies and 20% music

My budget is between 1500-2000€, while I could spend 2000, it would have to be somewhat justified.
This presents me with several options:

• Denon X3700h or Marantz SR6015 for 1100€/1300€
  • Denon X4700h or Marantz SR7017 for 1600€/1900€
I could in theory get the cheaper X3700h and just add a stereo amp, but I'm doubtfull that I can get a good enough amp with my entire budget to make an impact.

On the other side of things I've been recommended to go a different route and look at a dirac receiver such as the NAD t758 v3i or the NAD t778 (which is well above my price range).
I could afford the NAD T58 v3i, but I'm not sure about replacing a 7.1 receiver with another 7.1 receiver, the T778 does look good, but at +3000€ that's very steep, and well above my current budget, and at that price I could get an anthem mrx 740.

I'm unaware of how other brands like Onkyo or Pioneer are doing these days.
Any advice or suggestions here would be appreciated, currently I believe that the X3700h is the "best value" option and should fit my needs quite well.

I would rather upgrade the budget speakers before throwing 3k€ in to receiver, but each to their own. If you want Dirac system there is also the Pioneer Elite VSX-LX305 and Elite VSX-LX505 plus of course the Onkyo RZ-50 which has become quite popular in countries where it´s available. For Europe April-June i believe was mentioned, you should ask from local dealers what is the situation.

You need laptop for best results and there is also steepish learning curve with Dirac. I believe both Onkyo and Pioneer comes with cheaper mic, but support higher quality mic like Umik-1 which is often used. More of that in the first post here: 2021 Onkyo TX-RZ50 Owner's Thread (NR7100...

From D&M the X4700H would give you Auro 3D/Auro upmixer which some likes more than Atmos, but the price jump is quite nasty. Any chance of waiting few months to see if new models will be announced from D&M? The prices are so sky high and you get only one hdmi 2.1 input with Denon/Marantz. Onkyo has full set of working 2.1 connections, talk about future proofing!

Exeon

Standard Member
I would rather upgrade the budget speakers before throwing 3k€ in to receiver, but each to their own.
I guess looking at it from that perspective you are right.
The difference is, I can sell these speakers quite easily and with a profit from what I've paid for them.
With receivers...not so much, I just don't want to have to buy a new receiver in 2-3 years from now.

Upgrading from the 683's is pretty hard to be honest, as I feel that pricing gets exponentially higher pretty quickly, I think I'm better of trying to expand what I have, rather then upgrade the entire set, as I'm mainly using it for HT.
I would rather upgrade the budget speakers before throwing 3k€ in to receiver, but each to their own. If you want Dirac system there is also the Pioneer Elite VSX-LX305 and Elite VSX-LX505 plus of course the Onkyo RZ-50 which has become quite popular in countries where it´s available. For Europe April-June i believe was mentioned, you should ask from local dealers what is the situation.
Those look pretty promising and might just be what I'm looking for (Dirac and enough channels)
But they aren't available yet (like you mentioned)
From D&M the X4700H would give you Auro 3D/Auro upmixer which some likes more than Atmos, but the price jump is quite nasty. Any chance of waiting few months to see if new models will be announced from D&M? The prices are so sky high and you get only one hdmi 2.1 input with Denon/Marantz. Onkyo has full set of working 2.1 connections, talk about future proofing!
I'm not actually sure if I'll ever need HDMI 2.1, I'm aware of the benifits but I don't use anything that uses HDMI 2.1 except for my TV.
I'm not in any hurry to replace the receiver, just gathering general information, if a new lineup is coming out I might as well wait and hopefully get a better product, or a cheaper one.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Send email to Onkyo EU and link these two models, ask when they are available and pricing.

Exeon

Standard Member
Send email to Onkyo EU and link these two models, ask when they are available and pricing.

Ok thanks, that should help.
Though in this case I'd much prefer the TX-RZ50, as the nr7100 doesn't have pre-outs, and can process 2 less channels, while the price difference isn't that big.

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom