1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Receiver recommendation

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by nickcross, Nov 23, 2003.

1. nickcross

nickcross
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm about to upgrade my (very) old amp and speakers and get a full blown cinema kit. Movies probably just edges it over music.
    After talking to a local shop they said I shouldn't bother going for two boxes as I'd need a speaker switching box. However after (much) reading of these forums :) (and another, more helpful, local shop!) it seems that depending upon the AV amp and stereo amp they can be linked together without too much problems.
    I have been debating going down this road (for instance a denon AV amp and then a.n.other amp for stereo duties) or to go for a one box solution. My budget is about £1000 and while the rumoured new arcam is tempting I don't think I can stretch that far.

It does seem to be far simpler to go for the one box route (dunno what compications there are in going for two boxes?). Assuming that budget, I was thinking of either the Denon 3803, the Pioneer AX3 or the Yamaha RXV1400/2400. Then, if I decide that I'd like another amp to improve stereo I could upgrade as mentioned above.

I'd really appreciate any opinions people have on going down this route, and of the amps mentioned above - which people think would be best for movies and music. :)

Thanks!

Nick

2. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One really nice feature on the vsxax3 that I like, if you stick with 5.1 speakers but full size you can use the surround back terminals to properly bi-amp your fronts!!
    Result is amazing.

3. nickcross

nickcross
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cool, that sounds interesting; have to persuade the shop to demo it i that setup! Hmmm, wonder if thats the only one that can do that setup.

Pretty please anyone else, replies would really be appreciated! :)

4. warboy

warboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bi-amp my fronts with the AX-3 - superb, and i moved from a Cyrus AV5 (biamped fronts with Cyrus Powers!). If you don't need the video switching it is a great value amp, payed £600 from Krish

5. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    Not sure about that. My speakers don't do bi-wiring. I have a Denon3803 and I'm really happy with it. I got it for £680 from Unbeatable (discounttv also do it but didn't have stock) so that would leave you a nice £320 to go towards a sterio amp :)

Does audio delay which was key for me. Video switching and has some nifty sound processing options I like. 5channel sterio is fun.