Question Receiver recommend. for my set up...ATV

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by siriusdays, Aug 26, 2018.

1. siriusdays

siriusdays
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello
    Please know I am a newbe, I would like a recommendation on a receiver for my particular set up. (that I will describe below) my ultimate goal being able to stream audio to my other house speakers (see set up) also please ignore my lack of knowledge of what items are called!

Family Room Cabinet:
    contains a Denon Receiver (AVR 1909) that is hooked up to tv and speakers in the family room. it can switch the different audio feeds depending upon what we input (ATV, DVD, Cable) this is also hooked to the amplifier which runs the speakers in the room.
    ** There is also another "house receiver" in the cabinet, this is an OLD Onkio receiver (tx-909) that can basically only play the radio, and then send audio through the amplifier to the other 8 house speakers. (it has old inputs, so I can't hook my ATV to it or any HDMI for that matter)

PROBLEM to Solve:
    I want to be able to replace this "house receiver" and be able to send audio from my ATV4 to the whole house.
    Note: the reason there is this 2nd receiver is 1) we wanted to be able to play music in rest of house separate from the TV set up. and 2) we were reusing an old piece of equipment.

QUESTION: can someone recommend a user friendly piece of equipped that can replace this old device OR recommend another way of achieving my goal. and also please help me with instructions on hooking it all up.

I could hire a pro, but that is just not in the budget. I am pretty handy if given some direction...

2. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,156
    Well if you want to spend as little money as possible £40-50, all you need is an Airport Express and a 3.5mm to RCA phono audio cable.

The Airport Express supports Apple's audio Airplay system and has an analogue audio out, so all you do is plug it into your old receiver and your in business, iOS devices will send their audio to the Airport.

To set up the AE you must install the Airport utility on PC/Mac or iOS device then run the setup wizard, tell it to join an existing network (like connecting a PC to a WiFi network), give the AE a name and you should be good to go.

3. siriusdays

siriusdays
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Finally getting back on this thread! thanks for the advice on the Airport.. I would really rather replace this old onkio receiver. can someone recommend a set up that will allow me to do what I want to achieve (see original post) ultimately playing all audio (from) the ATV.

4. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,245
    An Apple TV has no ability to stream audio to multiple devices. THe only way to convey a signal from it would be via HDMI. THis means it has to be connected to a device via HDMI. If only wanting to stream audio them look at devices that have Apple Airplay built into them rather than streaming the audio to the ATV prior to then having to output it via HDMI to another device.

Where is the audio you are playing via the ATV originating from?

5. siriusdays

siriusdays
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I see that makes sense... The audio would orginate from my iPhone or spotify app, idea is that I would basically be streaming music from a device to something that can receive it via wifi. (I was thinking that ATV is easiest since its already there) but now Im understanding that the newer ATV can't send audio out that is not HDMI, (some of the older ATV had an optical audio out port)

So it seems the quickest fix right not is to get an apple device (extreme or even an old ATV) hook that up to the old onkio, and send music there.

additionally since I want to replace that old receiver , can someone suggest a newer receiver that would've modern inputs/outputs on it that would not be too pricey, knowing that I'll probably be only hooking up a Apple product and use it for radio too.

6. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,245
    You could stream the audio directly to many devices without need of the intermediate ATV. If wanting a multi room arrangement then look into setup such as Sonos or maybe Yamaha's MusciCast and Denon's Heos systems. You can Have a centralised AV receiver with MusicCast and then distribute the audio wirelessly to MusicCast enabled speakers located around your home.