Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Receiver Questions

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by beng, Aug 13, 2003.

1. beng

beng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

Please forgive me in advance for some of the newbie questions; I'm sure you get bored of being asked them!

Last year I bought myself a nice big 42inch Hitachi rear projection TV. And of course I love it to pieces. Whilst it carries movies well in either dts or dd 5.1, it doesn't really have the oomph that I'd expect to be delivered by a separate receiver / speaker combo. So, I'm thinking about heading in to Richer to pick up a marantz receiver and the sony sub sat package.

My questions are:

- What are the main differences between an amp and a receiver?
    - Do they accept scart imputs? - so would I be hooking up my dvd player / xbox / video / cd player to the receiver rather than the tv?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Ben

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,664
    Amps generally do without in built radios, receivers carry them. Scart inputs are almost never carried and certainly not on any sensible sub £1000 unit. You'll get composite, S-VHS and possibly component. Your X Box and DVD player should connect but your video (unless it is an SVHS) unit will not.
    Oh- and the Sony package? Make sure you keep the box and receipt for the two days in when you want something better...

3. beng

beng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for that.

I will try to get a demo first. Most likely though that until I get my own defined space, the missus will only put up with a cute sub sat package!

Don't talk to me about kef eggs :)

4. menalaus

menalaus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi, check out villaceltics current thread 'video switching...' for the pros and cons of routing the video signal through the amp/receiver.