Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Receiver purchase dilemma. Cheap or expensive?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by doctorjuggles, Mar 16, 2005.

1. doctorjuggles

doctorjuggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I've just purchased a set of B&W DM604s, which I will be combining with a pair of DM600s for rear and an LCR60 for the centre speaker. All very well. However, until last night I'd pretty much decided on a Yamaha RX-V1500 receiver to drive them.

The problem is, I started reading a few threads on the board last night and they were talking about the next generation of amps being HD compliant, with DVI and HDMI inputs/outputs etc. So now I'm starting to have second thoughts.
    I know the next gen amps are only probably coming out in about a year or so, and I can't exactly have 5 B&W speakers hanging around doing nothing until then.

So my question is, do I buy a cheap amp now (something respectable but around the £200-£300 range) or do I just go head and buy the RX-V1500 in the knowledge that the resale value will be higher and I will at least be driving the B&Ws properly?

The reason I ask is because I bought my Panny PW6 display late last year and that's not HD ready, so I don't want to make the same mistake with the receiver if it's avoidable.

What would you do?

Thanks.

2. arn

arn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

Tough call, depends on your money situation i suppose. also depends on when sky start broadcasting hd content next year (early/late) who knows. If you can afford it then imo get a cheap amp as you could be waiting for more than a year for HD.

3. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +882
    I think it will be a couple of years until AVRs will be in mass production which make full use of all the aspects of the HD world.

I would not buy the decent amp expecting it to have a higher second hand value when it comes to resale - the price will almost certainly slump when the HD machines become common place and I would be surprised if the expensive machine held its price any better than the cheapo one.

As arn says, it really comes down to your own financial situation and how much of a "must have the latest" type of person you are. I thankfully dont suffer from upgrade-itis too badly but held back from spending a fortune on a new AVR until there is clearer signs on what the market is doing. By the time the new technology has had the creases ironed out and starting to become common place my AVR will probably be about ready to be retired anyway.

4. doctorjuggles

doctorjuggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Well the money situation is that I have money, but don't want to waste it, basically. If I can pick up something like a Cambridge 540R for £150 second hand then it probably wouldn't be a waste, because a years worth of use is probably worth that. If HD is three or four years away, then an RX-V1500 at £400 might be more worthwhile, because otherwise I'll be undercooking my B&Ws for 4 years and what's the point in that, I guess?

With regards to the second hand value, I kinda thought that an RX-V1500 might be worth £200 or so, compared to a cheapie which I'd get maybe £50 back for. I'm not expecting it to be worth a fortune or anything, but it's worth considering that it'll definitely have a higher value this time next year than, say, a 540R.

As for being a 'must have the latest' type of person, I kinda sit in between. I must have the best I can afford and that I need, generally, which doesn't have to mean it needs to be the latest. I like having the latest, but only if it serves my needs. But if I had the latest amp/receiver, I would hope it would last me a long time, during which I wouldn't really suffer from upgraditis.

I'm in a dilemma here, but your points are both noted and something I hadn't considered, so thank you both very much.

5. michael.redfern

michael.redfern

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    Why worry about whether or not you are gonna buy a receiver which offers hdmi switching, if your plasma isn't compatible anyway? A better question would be whether or not you are gonna replace the plasma when HDMI becomes more of a requirement rather than a nice-to-have.
    Also, will you need to switch between multiple HDMI devices? Do you intend to have more than one?

I say, go for the better amp, and use it for the life of the plasma. Then upgrade it all in one go when you can better afford it. Like you say, might as well get maximum enjoyment from the setup you have while you have it, rather than wondering about what you only ight have in a few years time.

Well, just my 2c.

6. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Just get the 1500 or the 2500 if you can stretch to it. Then save some more and try to find a decent 100 watts+/channel power amp and use the reciever and the power amp to bi amp those lovely b&w's. They will thank you for it:devil:

7. doctorjuggles

doctorjuggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Well that was kind of my point. If I get an amp that can output DVI/HDMI now, then it's only the plasma I'm spending the money on during the next upgrade. I'm debating whether it's wise to make the same mistake twice, or even whether it was a 'mistake' in the first place to get a non-HDCP display. When I bought it, none of the mags and forums I'd read were really mentioning it in any way. It's only in the last 3 months or so that it's really been discussed.
    Affording a good amp really isn't the issue (aside from the real top end stuff like the £4k Denon's etc.) but at the same time, who's got money to burn?
    Anyway, from what I've been advised, it seems true HD ready amps are some way off, so it looks like the 1500 is what I'll be getting. :smashin:
    I'd go for the RX-V2500 if it had anything over the RX-V1500 that I thought I'd need, but looking at the specs, it seems to be almost the same amp with 10W extra per channel. For the jump from £430 to £590, I don't see that as great value, but if there something I'm missing, feel free to point it out.

8. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    The 2500 is ment to have better dacs on each channel and it also has one extra dsp (doubt it would be useful though) it also has a gui and is more configrable, i think it might have more steps for the sub cross over, you can also visualy see the equaliser that is applied to each speaker. I think the 2500 alows more custermisation were as the 1500 relies more on the auto tuning facility. I haven't got a clue about equalising manualy, but i guess i could learn. If all of these combined are worth the extra £100 or so i another thing, but I really wanted the 2500, and it is the second best of the current line, even if the 3rd comes very very close to it.

My logic was that i could get a 2500 for about the same price as the cheapest 1500 here, screwey logic but sometimes you want something and it wouldn't make sense if you thought about it.