1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

receiver or amp with warmer sound

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Benrudd1, Sep 27, 2004.

1. Benrudd1

Benrudd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Hi,

Watched star wars esb last night. Found the sound a bit shrill again,same problem with lotr return of the king and other films.

I have decided that its time to change my receiver ( Denon 3802) to something with a warmer sound.

Having trawled the forum, the Marantz 7400 sounds like it may fit the bill.

Thoughts and advise :lease:

I purchased the Denon right as the 3803 came out so only payed £499 for it and don't really want to spend more this time

Thanks

2. Arcangel

Arcangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Marantz's do have a warmer sound than the Denon's (which are more neutral to warm). Have you tried engaging the Cinema EQ on your Denon? That can tame harsh soundtracks quite nicely. :)

3. MS-Yam

MS-Yam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Benrudd1,

I havent experienced the Marantz receivers yet, but my Yamaha 640SE amp has a very nice warm sound, and this is only the budget model (excellent value for money though!). If you are looking to spend a bit more (you mentioned the SR7400), I would definately try a higher Yamaha model. Maybe the new 1500? You can get some really good deals on the Yamaha stuff too.

By the way, you maybe thinking they are not the nicest looking machines around. I would agree. But they sound excellent - just check out their reviews!

4. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Do you have the speaker grills fitted on your speakers? That can go some way to reducing an overbright sound.

I'd also see if you can try some different speaker cables, they can sometimes work wonders.

5. Benrudd1

Benrudd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Hi all,

Thanks for your comments so far. :thumbsup:

I was using the cinema eq last night which helped but it was still a bit too bright for me.

I have also been looking at the yamaha amps, anybody have experience of the mid range models like the 1400 or as you say new 1500?

I will try the speaker grills idea and see what happens

Finally I have been considering changing speaker cable as I am using qed silver anniversary at the moment which can be rather bright. Any suggestions for something warmer?

6. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I can't really comment on the speaker cable, I use the silver aniversery as I wanted a brighter cable as I have to leave the speaker grills on - my kids would be forever messing with my cones!

I have today taken delivery of the yammy 1400, its a replacement for my 3 year old yammy 630. Not surprisingly it is a big step up in terms of movies and music - esp. with the direct stereo mode. The setup menus are a bit painful to navigate round, despite being on screen, and the auto setup isn't a patch on using a SPL meter with DVE or AVIA, but thats all secondary to the audio performance.

I am bi-amping my front left & right speakers, as I was with my yammy 630, but I'm not yet using either the presence speakers or the surround back speakers for a 7.1 sound stage, but I do think the amp might start to sound a little harsh at loud volumes with all 7 speakers running - i had a similar problem on my 630 when driven hard - at about -25 db - obviously the upper limit on the 1400 is higher.

Not sure if your denon does this, or even if its useful to you, but it does up convert composite into s-video or component and s-video into component - I was pleasently surprised by the results of this.

I've not heard the 3802, so I can't really compare it to the 1400 :/

7. Arcangel

Arcangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chord Carnival works well. :) If the original non-silver stuff is available still.

8. Benrudd1

Benrudd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Thanks,

Managed to track some down here . Going to give it a go.

Still considering an amp/receiver change though (I feel the time is right :D )

9. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Could take a look at kimber? I had a similar problem with Chord amps and this was recomended to me.