• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Receiver making a clicking sound!

WAdeThomas

Standard Member
Just got my 706 hooked up and now it makes a "clicking" sound about every 1 minute or so and it's when I am NOT changing listening modes. I'll be watching something in Dolby Digital and it will just click. I checked the connections and they seem fine so I really do not know what to do.

Thanks

Chester

Is it the same kind of relay clicking sound? Does it do it mid-film? Could be that you're watching a disc that switching betwewn multi-channel and 2-channel where 2-channel is set to stereo and not something like All Stereo or Neo6 Movie or something.

WAdeThomas

Standard Member
It's happening while I watch any programming on TV. I noticed that it only happens when I have the Direct TV receiver set to DOLBY DIGITAL YES. When I switch it to NO it is fine, but then I am not getting DOLBY DIGITAL.

Chester

And that mode is on your TV receiver box. In that case I would say that it is the culprit here. Nothing wrong as such, it's just rapidly switching modes as it tries to establish the incoming sound format, and your Onkyo receiver is responding to mode changes that the TV receiver is switching to.

AFAIK, there are no terrestrial DD broadcasts. You'd be just as well to set your TV receiver to stereo, or configure the corresponding 2Ch PCM modes, etc, so they are not in Stereo but All Stereo or a surround mode.

I got annoyed at this with my 876, so that's exactly what I did. The only source input set to stereo is CD.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom