1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

receiver less than 150mm high

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by 123orth, Jan 24, 2005.

1. 123orth

123orth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    looking to pair a receiver with monitor audio radius thanks for the advice already received,almost went for yamaha 750 receiver but found a practical problem,this set is going to be used withn a sony crt at the moment and the stand 's shelf height is only 168mm
    has anybody had similar issues and considering this, is there another receiver to consider,want to avoid another rack if i can
    thanks in advance

2. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    Can you not take out a shelf for your CRT stand? That's effectively what I had to do to fit my centre speaker!

3. 123orth

123orth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hi tejstar
    thanks u have been very helpful thru my journey for first av system
    i can take shelf out but where can i slot in dvd/sky box
    any suggestions welcome

4. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
  5. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    It may be worth while investing in a proper AV hi-fi stand 123orth

Without getting into the arguements of if they will improve the actual outputs from your system it will give you the necessary room for all your purchases. The other thing to consider is that whilst a box may be able to physically fit in the 168mm slot it may not give it sufficient space arround for ventilation/cooling.

6. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    I suppose it depends on the type of tv stand you have. For me, I've got quite a bit of stuff (consoles, cd player etc) so I have a separate rack too!

If you have got the room I'd definitely go for a separate rack otherwise checkout mylo's suggestion of the Pio receivers they should be small enough to fit in.

7. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    The Arcam AVR200/250/300 are all approx 146mm high including feet.

HTH,

John Dawson (Arcam)

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    John does that leave enough for ventilation?

9. Topgunn

Topgunn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about the new sony STR db900?

10. 123orth

123orth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    the shortlist seems to be narrowing
    sony db900 353£
    pioneer 502 299£
    Panasonic SAXR50 260£
    would they be much inferior to yamaha 650/denon 1905
    any opinions on these please as having major resistance in getting proper av rack from u know who :mad:

11. Grif

Grif

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Harmon Kardon DPR1005 digital amp....114mm high....unfortunately its a £1k.

12. Topgunn

Topgunn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Sony got a 5 star rating in a magazine, not sure it was Home Cinema or What Hifi.

13. 123orth

123orth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thanks in advance

has anybody seen this review and where can i find it for sony db900

acc to the sony's website the height of this receiver is 161 mm which is more than denon 1905,surely it cant be correct

also are the pioneer 501 and 502 much different systems
    has anyone got views about panasonic x70
    if any of these slim receivers has lip sync featue on them

14. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    None of these have lip-sync.

The X70 is very popular among US members at www.avsforum.com, whereas Pioneer slims are the popular ones on avforums, and I don't think there are any owners of db900 here.

Wasabi

15. 123orth

123orth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thanks wasabi
    what would u buy out of these if u had to,personal choice i know but could help me
    is there much difference between pioneer 501 and 502
    all i want is to connect sky/dvd/crt tv using amplifier using monitor audio radius package

16. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Really nice speakers you have.

My first thoughts are get a bigger and more powerful amp.

What about Astaroth and Tejstar's idea of getting a separate hifi rack? If not, if you take of the middle shelf and put a bigger amp, and stack the dvd player on it and hide the sky box behind or on the floor or something? Although it wouldn't solve the problem of ventilation. Or what about change the stand to a one the wide ones from Ikea?

If none of those ideas are workable, and you have to have a slim one, then hm, its between 502 and xr70. 502 is a evolution of 501, and has now more powerful amp, Dolby DPLIIx and automatic room calibration system. The xr70, I don't know much about apart from that it is digital and has a hdmi port, but that is not important in your case.

Based on safety, that there are quite a few 301/501 owners here, and they are all satisfied, probably 502. But I would recommend that you head to www.avsforum.com and search on the xr70 and read their comments.

But yes, my heart still says that you should somehow get a amp that does justice to your lovely speakers.

Wasabi

17. 123orth

123orth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thanks again
    this forum has forced me to go for monitor audio there were nice reviews and when i listened to them they sounded so much better than kef eggs
    your suggestion re changing the shelf and stacking i will check out seriously tomorrow
    as far the receiver is concerned i am checking the forum u mentioned seems to be bowled over by panasonic xr70
    re pioneer 501 i saw for 199£,502 for 299£
    is i went for full amplifier would yamaha 750 be a nice one

18. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Hm, you better search on xr50 and xr70, to get more owner opinions, as xr70 has just been released after delays.

But there are an increasing number of members there that are being converted into digital amps, so it is about personal taste.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?threadid=488822&highlight=xr50

There are comments like these:

"I had the 1014 and the xr 50.I thought the 1014 had a more volumous sound but the xr 50 is more dynamic and crisper.I liked the xr 50 but kept hearing about the 1014 so I bought one.I listened to the 1014 and thought it was better for theater but when I hooked the xr back in I knew without a doubt I prefer the detailed sound of digital over analog.The 1014 is very impressive but it is the same ole sound just better.While the xr 50 is new and refreshing.The attack and quickness of sounds makes simple listening very exciting.I am thinking of sunday football games off hand.The little icons that come across the screen and the score changes are very dynamic while on analog it is barely noticeable.I would never get analog again.If I had the 1014 and never tried the xr 50 I would without a doubt be happy with it.With the 1014 the speakers all flowed together and the sound was well balanced from the initial setup with no tweaking.The 1014 was extemely intense during action scenes.I t is a true powerhouse.My friends came over to listen and they all preferred the 1014 though.I am sure this will be the concenus.They are definitely differents sounds.Thunderous and full compared to crisp and detailed.I think of the xr 50 as being a highly tuned spot on sound.I am listening to Jazz right now.I never listen to Jazz but the sounds clarity creates new listening experiences."

And someone commented on that:
    "This is one of the best brief descriptions I've read for this amp. I agree with it entirely. The only part I would add is that with full digital there is no background noise or hiss of any sort. The way I put it when describing to people is that with these Panasonic amps it's as much about what you DON'T hear as what you do.

To describe the non-digital sound as voluminous is apt. To me, doing fades back & forth between digital & non, it sounded like the analog was behind some kind of thick curtains that muffled the sound but didn't make it any quieter or kill the highs. It was just "mufflier".

I find I am trying all sorts of new music and breaking out old stuff to hear things in the music that I'd never heard before."

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?threadid=460052&perpage=20&highlight=xr50&pagenumber=2
    And these:
    I have the XR50 and know it was far better that my Pioneer "Elite" VSX-41. It was also better than my Yamaha HTR-5590. I did really like the Yamaha but the Panny has 82 watts per channel with 5 driven. How many other analog receivers can match that anywhere near that price point?

Wasabi