1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Receiver Issue with Ceiling Speakers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Total, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Total

Total

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently purchased 4-pair of ceiling speakers to mount in 2 rooms (2-pair per room). When I connected a single ceiling speaker to my current receiver I was surprised to find that I had to turn the receiver’s volume way up just to hear anything substantial from the single speaker. This volume level would usually make the house shake.

The main purpose of these ceiling speakers is only to have low-medium sound come out…. nothing loud…. but the fact that I only plugged 1 in and not all 8 makes me think that there is some major conflict or incompatibility going on between the speaker specs and the receiver.

Here is a link to the receiver that I am using and its specs:
    YAMAHA RX-V690 Receiver

On the back of the speakers all it says is:

IN 110V
    POWER 3W
    OUTPUT 8 Ohms

I do not have advanced knowledge of AV systems and am not sure if I should plug these speakers in parallel or in series or if I can get a fairly inexpensive speaker distribution system like this link to a 8-Speaker Distribution Panel to fix the problem. I would like to keep any solution to a financial minimum and not purchase a new receiver if possible.

Any advise or info would help :confused:

2. Cliff

Cliff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,728
    It sounds like you have professional type ceiling speakers as used in offices and stores etc.
    Check if the speaker has a transformer bolted on the back?
    If so, then you need to take it off and wire your amp directly to the speaker terminals.

Best to wire a pair in each room in series = 16 ohms per channel

If you run both rooms together that will be 8 ohms per channel load on the amplifier.

The link for the switcher won't help by the way.

3. Total

Total

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That was it!

After I took off the transformer and connected the speaker directly to the reciever it worked perfectly..... like a normal speaker.

Thanks a ton!