• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Receiver is getting quieter?

d3m0n

I've had a HK AVR171 since Oct/Nov last year, since then it has been getting quieter and quieter, normal tv volume used to be around -38, now it's nearer -16. What could be causing it?

Very odd

MI55ION

Distinguished Member
Have you changed speakers recently? Speakers with lower sensitivity will need to be driven harder to get the same output as those with higher sensitivity.

Otherwise its possible a speaker or set of speakers have become faulty or their crossover units which would result in a change of their impedence and sensitivity characteristics.

clayts450

Have you switched off the Dynamic Range compression (or whatever HK call it) - when you have that on, it will seem louder- to get it as loud with DRC off you may need to ramp up the volume ?

dschaefer

Novice Member
Did you ever find out the issue? Or does anyone know what is going on?

I am having the same issue. I have a yamaha rx v467 and this is my second yamaha receiver over the past ten years or so. I say this because the volumes on them were identical and I would never push more than -30 for a movie and -40 was my normal watch TV volume. In the past few months it has been getting quieter and quieter, I now have to push -20 to -25 to watch TV.

What is going on?

I didn't want to start a new thread but I will if I have to.

Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom