Receiver for Monitor audio silver 50/c150

ppearson1975

Standard Member
I'm looking to upgrade at some point soon. I've decided on Monitor Audio Silver range. I think the 50s will be fine as front left/right as the room is not huge, and the c150 centre. My current fronts are mordaunt short aviano 1s and centre aviano 5 (which I find a bit boomy - too much bass in men's voices).

My current receiver is an old Denon avr-2310 which I'm thinking won't do those speakers justice. I've always liked Denon so I'm looking at either the avr-x2*** series (AVR-X2700H etc) or avr-x3*** series. Budget is tight (I'll likely get an older one from ebay rather than this year's model). Just wondering whether going as far back in time/down the range as avr-x2300w will be good enough? I appreciate that you can always spend a bit more and get something better, and that the audyssey system is higher spec on the avr-x3***, but I'm just wanting to know if this will be good enough for a nice, noticeable improvement? Happy to consider non-Denon receivers too, but I'm much more familiar with Denon.

Many thanks for any advice.

rccarguy2

3700 has pre outs, so I would go for that if you plan to add power amplifiers later. Better room EQ also.

ppearson1975

Standard Member
Thanks, but this isn't something I can imagine I would ever use. The room EQ is definitely a factor. Having only ever used Audyssey on my current receiver, I'm unsure as to how noticeable the difference would be on the higher end version.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom