Receiver for 4 Ohm THX Ultra 7.1 speakers

richardrichard

Hi All,

I am grabbing a set of 4 Ohm THX Ultra 7.1 speakers from the classifieds - For Sale - Jamo System 2 THX speakers 7.1

I now need to pick a receiver to drive them. I'd like to go used, so I had a look at the What Hifi Awards from a few years ago and liked the look of the the Denon X3300W which seems readily available second hand. However, I thought I would ask the question here of what other options I should consider?

In terms of features, I clearly need 7.1 capability and something that wouldn't struggle with the 4 ohm speakers, Atmos would be nice for future proofing but not essential, and I would like to be able to use spotify directly. I don't need anything special in terms of HDMI ins and outs, I expect anything that covers the above would be appropriately spec'd elsewhere.

Thanks in advance

SeanBrothers

You might want to consider moving up to an X4300 if you are considering Atmos/DTS:X since it will offer 11 channel processing.

You might also want to consider moving a generation later (X3400 or X4400) for eARC.

richardrichard

Thanks for the input. I'm not really worried about more channels, atmos is a minor concern at best. eARC equally not concerned. I'm mainly interested in making sure the receiver is appropriately powered for the speakers, and don't really know how to determine that / select one.

SeanBrothers

I have the x3700, which is rated the same power for 2 channels into 8 ohm, and I power all the speakers in my 7.1.4 except for the fronts (and sub) with it and have no trouble reaching uncomfortable volume levels, albeit in a small room (3.6m x 4.5m x 2.0m). I have a mix of 4, 6, and 8 ohm speakers, however.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom