1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Receiver Connections

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Paul H, Mar 12, 2001.

1. Paul H

Paul H
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just taken the plunge and ordered the Yamaha RX-V800 from Richer Sounds (£399).

Now comes the daunting task of connecting it up to the rest of my setup which is as follows: -

TV: Toshiba 43PJ93B
    VCR: Hitachi VT-FX880
    DVD: Toshiba SD-3109B
    Sky: Grundig Digibox
    OD: Nokia Mediamaster onDigital box
    plus PlayStation 2

I would like to use the video switching functionality provided by the Yamaha but I believe that the Sky Digibox will not output to S-Video. If the Sky Box was connected to the Yamaha via a composite connection, is it still possible to record Sky programs via the VCR connected to an S-Video out?

I would appreciate anyones views on the recommended way of connecting all of my equipment without the need for any additional switches.

Thanks in advance.

2. Stuart M. Robinson

Stuart M. Robinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Paul,

"I would like to use the video switching functionality provided by the Yamaha but I believe that the Sky Digibox will not output to S-Video. If the Sky Box was connected to the Yamaha via a composite connection, is it still possible to record Sky programs via the VCR connected to an S-Video out?"

No, because the receiver cannot convert composite video to S-Video. This isn't a limitation of the Yamaha, but of all receivers and processors. Some can convert S-Video to composite, but not the other way around.

Your best option is to purchase an RGB to S-Video converter such as the one available from JS Technology: http://www.rgbtosvideo.com/ It will allow you to use S-Video throughout your system by converting the RGB output of the Sky Digibox to Y/C.

This is one of my pet peeves; the lack of S-Video outputs on the Sky and OnDigital digiboxes, the reason for which has never been explained to me in a way that sounds even vaguely plausible.

Stuart M. Robinson
    SMR Group – http://www.smr-group.co.uk/