1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Receiver Connection

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Sienna, May 27, 2002.

1. Sienna

Sienna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Can some one help me please...

I have a SONY STRDB1070 (receiver), my DVD player is a SONY DVP700V and I have a SONY SLV - SE710 video.
    Please can someone advise me how to connect all this stuff to the receiver and then to my TV?
    S-video, optical, coax etc it's all getting very confusing!
    My TV has 3 SCARTS (1 RGB) and 1 s-video connection.

Also is it true that you can't listen to SACD via optical connections?

Any help would be greatfully received.:confused:

2. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All you should need to do is......

AV1 DVD > AV1 TV select RGB on DVD menu
    AV1 VCR > AV2 TV
    COAXIAL/OPTICAL DVD > COAXIAL/OPTICAL AMP

To listen to SACD i think you have to connect via PHONOS, don't think you can listen via OPTICAL.

bob

3. Sienna

Sienna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got an S-video to SCART lead shall I use this to connect DVD to TV?

Thanks for the help.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    You can as long as you "tell" the dvd player and TV that you are outputting s-video as it won't autosense.

5. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If your TV has an S-video connection round the back you can use that, then select S-video in the DVD menu.

If the S-video connection is located round the front you will be better off using one of the scarts at the back of the TV, check in the TV instructions to find out which AV connections support S-video, you might find it's AV2/AV3.

bob

6. Steve_e42

Steve_e42

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have similar set up, and yes to get sacd you must connect via multi-channel in, not digital, so you need 6 phonos.

7. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I thought that this was just for multi channel SACD?? I have mine connected via the 6 channel outputs for this purpose and also via digital coax for DVD yet SACD's still play when the digital input is selected...

8. Steve_e42

Steve_e42

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes i agree kelvin.. this would just be for multi channel, but i think the signal you get thru a digital connection would only be the regular cd track.. if the disk only had sacd tracks then my understanding is that it wouldnt send anything thru a digtal connection.

9. Sienna

Sienna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kelvin,
    Does this mean I can connect the DVD with both optical/digital coax and phono leads and then just change the selector on the receiver depending on movie or music play? Thus ensuring digital dolby with DVD's and multi channel with SACD...

Thanks a lot

10. Steve_e42

Steve_e42

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats how i use it.. i also use digital coax for playing my regular cd's. I have a sony 870 amp, and when using multi channel input i cannot set the EQ, so prefer to use the coax for his purpose.

11. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Sierra, yes you can do this as Steve's said - this is the same connection that most people have I think so that the equaliser can still be used on the amp. :)

On a seperate note...

I have an SACD disc that came free with my NS700 which is purely SACD (ie. not a hybrid with "regular" CD info on as well) - I'm sure of this as it doesn't play on my "normal" cd player. However, when I select the coax connection from DVD to Amp it still plays normally, albeit not in Multi channel.

Just got me thinking now... is this a "true", 2 channel SACD signal that I'm hearing, or a dumbed down version that the players "converted" to regular CD frequencies???!! (If that makes any sense to anyone other than me out there!!)

Kelvin.