Receiver Connection Help!

sparker3000

Standard Member
Probably a real newbie question but I thought that HDMI carried audio but I don't seem to be able to get sound out of my amp unless I use an additional coaxial or optical cable?

I have an HDMI going from DVD to the receiver and another HDMI going from receiver to TV.

My set up is a sony bds-350 blu-ray player, Onkyo HTR518 (5.1 version of the 506) and Jamo A102 speakers.

Thanks for any help!

paulr2006

Distinguished Member
Probably a real newbie question but I thought that HDMI carried audio but I don't seem to be able to get sound out of my amp unless I use an additional coaxial or optical cable?

I have an HDMI going from DVD to the receiver and another HDMI going from receiver to TV.

My set up is a sony bds-350 blu-ray player, Onkyo HTR518 (5.1 version of the 506) and Jamo A102 speakers.

Thanks for any help!

HDMI does carry Audio, especially from your new BD Player. Whilst I'm not familiar with your model of receiver I'm guessing you need to assign the Audio on the Input your using to HDMI, I'm guessing your currently assigned to use optical on the particular input.

EDIT after a quick scan on the net I'm not entirely sure this model supports audio over HDMI so perhaps someone else could confirm one way or the other?

Last edited:

sparker3000

Standard Member
Thanks for the reply. I could be wrong but from the manual it seems like it's not possible to get audio through HDMI for this amp and I need to use a digital cable. Then that means I can only rceive standard definition audio??

If thats the case I made the wrong choice as I had assumed that the amp would just let the HD audio from the blu-ray player pass through it?

:mad:

paulr2006

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the reply. I could be wrong but from the manual it seems like it's not possible to get audio through HDMI for this amp and I need to use a digital cable. Then that means I can only rceive standard definition audio??

If thats the case I made the wrong choice as I had assumed that the amp would just let the HD audio from the blu-ray player pass through it?

:mad:

Yes your correct if it does not accept HDMI audio you are stuck with DD & DTS Only.:mad:

paulr2006

Distinguished Member
Just had another look at it, as it does not decode the new formats the only way you would get HD Sound out of it would be via the Analogue inputs, However the Sony S35- does not have analogue outs. Therefore it means either a different Amp. or BD Player or seperate Processor, none of which will be inexpensive I'm afraid. :(

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom