• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Receiver Connection Help!

sparker3000

Standard Member
Probably a real newbie question but I thought that HDMI carried audio but I don't seem to be able to get sound out of my amp unless I use an additional coaxial or optical cable?

I have an HDMI going from DVD to the receiver and another HDMI going from receiver to TV.

My set up is a sony bds-350 blu-ray player, Onkyo HTR518 (5.1 version of the 506) and Jamo A102 speakers.

Have checked all the DVD settings which are mostly on auto and think they are correct.

Thanks for any help!

rwniel

sparkler3000, hdmi can carry audio but the hdmi inputs on many systems are purely for video switching purposes. That appears to be the case for the Onkyo HTR518 - the Onkyo SR576 is the first av receiver model in their range that does allow for hdmi audio surround output. So in your set-up you would have to use the optical or coaxial digital connection in conjunction with hdmi and would also naturally be limited to the core Dolby Digital and DTS surround soundtracks on blu ray movies.

Robert

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom