Receiver Component switching

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by deman77, Aug 5, 2004.

1. deman77

deman77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got Yamaha750 and planning to run DVD and SKY video feeds through it.
    Not willing to try it's upconversion abilities and don't see a point investing in a proper component converter for SKY cause Yamaha is completely oblivious of sync, so it would be a waste of money. Just want to get a cheap passive cable converter w/o sync for sky and feed dvd as is.

From what I understand cheapo SCART to component cables are actually SCART to RGB or am I wrong?

If it's just Scart to RGB then will my Yam understand RGB correctly? My understanding was it just passess the signal on without any modifications so shouldn't be a problem, but how will it layer it's own menu on top? Will the Yam menu just look green when i'm watching SKY and normal when I'm watching DVD?

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    AFAIK only Loewe TVs accept YUV over Scart, i.e. normally Scart carries RGB (and S-Video as well as the composite).

RGB and YUV are technically component signals but the term 'Component' usually refers to YUV only. YUV connectors are red, green and blue but note that YUV and RGB are not compatible to each other!
    When you want to switch RGB from Scart you must also take out the sync (which is carried on the composite), thus the Scart cables terminates into 4 RCA plugs.

You can switch RGB using the Yamaha's component (YUV) connectors, no problem.
    You have to ensure however that the amp can associate and switch one composite in/output together with your choosen component in/output.

I assume your display does not accept RGB and YUV on the same input, thus you cannot use the amp only for switching.
    Even though technically it can be done it would be of no use, so you do need to convert RGB to YUV or YUV to RGB, depending on what your display accepts on its input.

3. deman77

deman77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Reiner, I dug some old threads and came to the same conclusion.

What's the cheapest way to convert RGB to YUV? Would it be that 80quid convertor from Maplin's?

4. Filbert

Filbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +195
    Be warey of the "checpest" solution. No point converting the signal to YUV if the converter is doing a poor job, you might as well not bother! JS Technology's "RGB to Component (YUV)" converter would be my recommendation, yours for £144.99.

5. deman77

deman77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have RGB-VGA convertor as a point of reference. Anything worse than that, and i will stick with my current set up. JStech YUV convertor is overpriced for my purpose. I'll look for a seconf hand one at reasonable price, and will see how the one from maplin's fares. Switching via receiver is simply not worth 220quid (incl calbles) to me.

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,126
    deman77

If you already have and use a JS Technology RGB2VGA converter between your Digibox and your Display then anything else you try is a backwards step - even the JS Technology RGB2YUV is ever so slightly the lesser of the two JS Products.

RGB2VGA leaves the actual video signal that's coming out of your Digibox intact - its the sync signal that gets worked on; whilst the RGB2YUV converters has to actually do number crunching on the video signal.

If you want the convenience of YUV switching via your AV Receiver then go with the JS Technology RGB2YUV converter or be prepared to give a fair amount of video quality away if you go with a lower quality converter (I guess selling your RGB2VGA could part fund a NEW RGB2YUV converter).

One option you could try (which will depend on how your Display is set-up and reacts to YUV and RGB) being to purchase (or manufacturer) a SCART to 4RCA cable and hook the RGB to the YUV Inputs on the AV Receiver and the Composite to the Composite Input on your Display.

Assuming your Display can be set to work with RGB with Sync on Video (Composite) and IF your display can auto detect and switch between YUV and RGB then you could have a working system with a degree of automation via your AV Receiver.

Best regards

Joe

7. deman77

deman77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joe,

Thanks, as always the most comprehensive advice, I wish I bought the Luma off you last year when I had money so I don't feel guilty any more about parasiting on your advice.
    It's a panny D6 with an 3RCA component board so unless I hardwire sync into a component-VGA cable I'd have to do without it. That sounds quite painful and I'd still need to handle the switching of the sync. I probably should just save up for a scaler and do a switching through it or get a prgrammable remote and have it switch between the inputs as I change sources (I only have two sources and two inputs so it should all be nicely). For now I'll stick with what I have, I connected up the Yam750 to my panel on w/e to see what's the menu like and it's very simple and b&w so I may still explore the route of RGB switching (that is if I can convince dvd to output RGB through component and if the amp allows the RGB signal to pass through w/o cocking it up)