1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Receiver Aspect Ratio - Auto Switch

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by lufc1, Oct 10, 2005.

1. lufc1

lufc1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Folks,

I've had a good look round the forums and the web but can't seem to get the answer to this.

I have a Hitachi pd7200 plasma and am looking to get a Denon 1706 receiver. However, if I use the receiver for video switching will the aspect ratios change automatically on the plasma.

I plan to connect as follows in order to only have a couple of leads going to the plasma or a wall mount:

Cable (rgb) -> Amp (rgb) -> Plasma
    Sky (rgb) -> Amp (rgb) -> Plasma
    DVD (component) -> Amp (component) -> Plasma

As far as I can make out auto aspect is either via Scart or the signal. Obviously the scart is a no no as I can't use this on the receiver.

Thanks guys.

2. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    There will be no automatic switching unless you use scart via RGB direct to the plasma. The amp has no native way of connecting and switching RGB either so you would need to consider RGB to component converters.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,032
    The RGB bit is right. However, for PAL sources at least, does this TV not recognise the line 23 WSS flag? If it does, then it will (or should) switch ratio. The line 23 WSS flag is carried by any signal protocol and does not require SCART PIN 8.

4. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    My PD5200 only has an auto option on the scart input. Components are all manual.

5. lufc1

lufc1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah... I see.

So I take it that means the line 23 WSS flag will pass through the amp and to the tv if the input and output is RGB?

6. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    No, the switching signal is passed via a pin on the scart, the reason why line 23 flagging is neglected by so many.

7. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,032
    Yes it will. Via any video signal protocol. You can't stop it; it's part of the TV signal. However, the TV (screen) has to be able to interpret it. Cable Monkey's assertion is that it doesn't, and I've got no knowledge otherwise.

8. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    There are plenty of folks out there who have lost their aspect switching capability as a result of using component. In all the screen modes available to me on the various inputs on my 32pd5200, only the scart input has an auto mode, and unfortunately it is so poor PQ wise I have opted for RGB to component conversion out of my Pace cable box. I intend to calibrate my setup once I have moved in the new year and I may see how rgb via a decent scart fares after that. If anyone using the Hitachis has line 23 working via component, I would love to know. :)

9. lufc1

lufc1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies guys.

Okay, tried and tested it, the pd7200 does not recognise the line 23 signal. Hence, if I use RGB through the amp, without scarts, it won't switch. Which kinda makes sense. :rotfl:

Althoug - if anyone thinks I have a right monkey's of this - feel free to shout.