Receiver as part of a £1k max surround system

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by alexthecheese, Jan 24, 2008.

1. alexthecheese

alexthecheese
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi guys. I'm looking to buy a projector in the next few months and am trying to find a speaker and receiver set up that will complement the projector, for which I will have a PS3 connected as a source.

I'll have about £1k for both items - receiver and speakers - though if cabling is a significant cost it must include that.

I would rather get hook it up to some floorstanding/conventional speakers, as though small speakers like the Kef eggs (my mate has them) are handy and look good, I find that they're a lot thinner sounding even than my bookshelf speakers. They're not in a cheap setup either - his amp alone was almost £1k. :eek:

I'd like the amp to be able to handle stereo music at a half decent quality, though I've heard that this can be tricky for receivers.

Can anybody make any recommendations on the above? Cheers. :thumbsup:

2. fox

fox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    An Onkyo 605 and some Quad L-ITES is going to come in under £1000 and offers excellent ‘bang for buck’. You could probably push the boat out a little more if you wanted to though as I’m pretty sure that combo is more like £800-900 than £1000.

3. alexthecheese

alexthecheese
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'll have a look at those, cheers. The 605 seems to be highly regarded for the price.

Is there a recommended ratio of receiver to speaker spending? i.e. should I spend £400 on a receiver and the rest on speakers, or vice versa, or evenly? Or something completely different. :)

4. fox

fox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I would say from £1000, £400 on the amp and £600 on the speakers is a sensible split.

5. RamonD

RamonD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I would defo look at the 605 and if you can push the boat out a little more a svs 5.0 set up with a pb12 sub sound very full and offer astonoshing value. Look at the speaker power buy forum for the SVS speakers all available at av sales and im sure you will get a good deal, speak to Richard there of you can, top bloke, great service, just spen 2k with them on onkyo 875, svs 5.0 and 20-39 pc+ cylinder sub. Have to get round to setting it all up, im a total noob, just waiting to start on my dedicated room.

I agree that full size speakers do sound better and give better range and the ability to fill the room completely, if you have the space, its the way to go:devil:

6. alexthecheese

alexthecheese
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Woah, are you speaking in tongues? I didnt understand a word of that. :D

SVS 5.0 setup? What is that?

How much am I looking up for that setup?

7. fox

fox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
  8. alexthecheese

alexthecheese
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Fox. They look nice. They're quite expensive though.

Would the most powerful/best sub be necessary, or would the cheaper packages suffice? Would it match well to the Onkyo 605?

Thanks, and any other suggestions would be appreciated. :)

9. podhead

podhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hello Alex, I was in a similar situation myself 4-5 months ago and did a lot of research on here and found some really helpfull info and then consulted AV sales in Kent who gave me a lot of very helpfull information and based on that I purchased drom them a Onkyo 605 and a set of Q-accoustics 5.1 speaker sertup and they did me a good deal on all the cables I needed.
    I would say that right up untill just the other day I wasnt overlly impressed with its music only performance but audio for Films/DVD is fantastic however I was sitting here the other day with my iPod playing a shuffle and I thought to myself that track sounded really good and they kept coming 20 odd tracks latter I came to the conclusion that the Musical sound of my setup has indeed improved.
    This is in comparison to the last Music only setup I had a few years ago which consisted of £1000 worth of Teqnics amp and cd player into £600 worth of Tannoy stereo speakers and that sounded very articulate and precise and I was very pleased with that equipment however I bought the new gear to give me the mini home cinema effect.

10. alexthecheese

alexthecheese
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    How would you say it's improved? Has it bedded-in, or is it that the shuffle is a better source?

I have a fairly decent sounding stereo system that I could run along side, but for sake of ease would rather have one set of kit that could do everything!

How much would I have to pay for amp and speakers to get reasonable music quality?

11. Gavin C1

Gavin C1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    For the price you're quoting you'll get pretty good performance. As others have suggested, pairing the Onkyo 605 up with the SVS speaker range will give very good results :thumbsup:

Or you could go for the 605 and the SVS 5.0 package and get a different, cheaper subwoofer that would fit closer to your budget.

12. Kryptix

Kryptix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +259
    Onkyo 605. :thumbsup:

13. podhead

podhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Alex, I cant say I know for certain why I think it sounds better now maybe it has bedded in (they do say it can take 200 hours for cables to burn in) so it would make sense that the hardware itself would also take time.
    I am ceratin this is a factor with high end gear but would dought you would notice it on kit at this price/ build range however I have to say there is a definate and clear difference when playing music.
    admitidaly I recently started recording my music onto my iPod using lossless which would make some difference but not the significant change I have witnessed.

I would stress to you though, that you really cant expect an AV processor like the 605 to sound as sonically good as a dedicated audio stereo amplifier of similar cost, although thats not to say the 605 is perfactly adequate as a good compromise.
    I really dont think you will be dissapointed with the 605, its a very good processor.

one other point to consider, the why I look at it is that its pointless haveing kit like this and then connecting it together using wet string cables so be willing to spend some money on the cables at least the ones your going to use the most. I found some good deals to be had on ebay.
    I picked up a 2mtr hdmi cable made by monster that retails at £179 for £33, but I was lucky.