1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Receiver and Subwoofer Connection

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by whattodo, Sep 16, 2005.

1. whattodo

whattodo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I plan to buy Arcam AVR300 or Denon 3805 receiver. If I connect a receiver with a subwoofer with seperate audio cables instead of one subwoofer cable, which cable should I use? Is a standart speaker cable for instance 12-Gauge cable enough?

And also I am lost in cable definitions. :rolleyes:

What are the differences between these cables: the optical cable with or without Toslink, digital coaxial, glass digital optical, optical fiber cable with or without Toslink?

2. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,872
    Subwoofer cable carries LF signals, including the 50Hz frequency which is present in all our electric supplies. As a result subwoofer signals are susceptible to noise. Mark Grant cables use a special double screened Canare cable designed for this type of application. If you search for a thread by Mylo he describes different approaches to DIY cable. Some use CT100 "sat cable", Mylo used double screend microphone cable. I just made a 15m sub cable today from this latter cable. 80p per metre. It's more flexible cf. the CT100.