1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Receiver and Speakers with diferent power

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Cascarilleiro, Sep 8, 2003.

1. Cascarilleiro

Cascarilleiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ¿can I connect a receiver Onkyo 500 (85Wx5 6ohms, accepts 6 to 16 ohms) to 5 satelite speakers that his manual says they are 6W each?
    (Really, the speaker are a pack with the amplifier included in the subwoofer, so the 6Wx5 is the power ouput. The manual says "Power Output: 6Wx5 + 20W")

Of course, I know that the volume in the receiver must be at a minimun value. My main preocupation is not to damage the speakers but not to damage the receiver (so the receiver is much more expensive than the speakers are)

I think that with the subwoofer will not be any problem, because it is connected with the 'subwoofer pre out'.

I don't know the ohms of the speakers ¿how can I get this? ¿with a voltimeter?

Is there any simple solution, like adding a 'powermeter'? :confused:
    :)blush: sorry, I don't know the english word for the spanish 'potenciometro', but what i mean is an electronic componet like a volume control that you can buy in a electronic store)

I know that this is not the optimal solution, but i have to wait several months to buy good speakers (at leats until christmas).

Thanks in advance, and i'm sorry, my english is very bad
    :blush:

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I take it your using something like TV or PC speakers?

If you are, set the bass setting on each speaker to their highest crossover point- ie 120hz... as this'll ease the strain on the drivers.

Regarding speaker impedance- the amp will handle it- I shouldn't think tiddy 4Ohm speakers will be any problem for the Onkyo.

You should be OK. Do not put it louder than it was before on the previous system. If you do ramp it up past the speakers power handling capability it'll fry the speaker(s) voice coil- the amp will just shut off, and probaby at worst just blow a internal fuse.

You don't need a potentiometer, as the Onkyo has a master volume.

Don't worry about your English.. better than my Spanish! :)

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    You won't be likely to damage the receiver by using these speakers,but you are quite likely to damage the speakers if the rated power handling is only 6W...out of curiosity,what make and model are they?

4. Cascarilleiro

Cascarilleiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks!

They are like Pc Speakers of course.
    You can see them here , but in spanish (I think Belson is a spanish importer).

5. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Hi...I've had a look at the link....as you say,PC speakers...I'd be very careful with the volume control,and as long as you do that,they should work,but the quality is obviously going to be poor.

6. Cascarilleiro

Cascarilleiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Finally I do it, and it seems to work ok.

The volume needs to be 30-55 depending the source (in a scale 0-100) to get a normal level (i don't want to disturb neightbours ;) )

I don't noticed any problem in the receiver (no high heat, only warm)

:) seems like i can use this speakers temporaly, at least until i buy a better ones.

Thanks!