1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Receiver and Speaker Question

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by TWSK, Mar 30, 2005.

1. TWSK

TWSK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I need some help. I have a rather limited budget right now. I already have a Logitech Z680 5.1 system, but I need an A/V switch because there aren't enough ports on my TV. I was looking into getting a receiver, mainly the Yamaha RX-V650, but I was concerned about connecting the Z680 to the Yamaha. The Z680 already has Dolby and DTS decoders, and all the speakers plug into the sub, which connects to the control center, which is where you can plug your digital, optical, or 6 channel direct source into. So should I just forget about using the control center and wire the speakers right into the Yamaha? Can I output the sound from the Yahama through it's optical out into the Z680? And if I do that will the decoders on the Z680 screw the music up (especially if I use formats the Z680 doesn't know, like Pro Logic IIx)? And will a 6 channel direct connection work with the receiver? It doesn't look like it will, but I'm not very techniclly savy.

Thanks for any help or advice.

Tim

2. TWSK

TWSK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After going home and checking on the Z680, I can't connect the speakers directly to the Yamaha, as there are no wires for the subwoofer. So, can someone tell me what the digital out a receiver outputs, and will it work with speakers that do their own decoding? Or, what are a pair of good but fairly cheap 5.1 speakers I can buy to go with the Yamaha? Thanks

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/receivers/RXV650.htm

Tim

3. MagicBoy

MagicBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    The Logitech speakers will be designed to work with the proprietry decoder unit. It might be possible to bodge a connection to an AV Reciever, but it's not recommended.

Yamaha do some good value sub/sat packages that are designed to work with their lower end AV recievers eg NS-P100. They did a bundle with the RX-V350 recently. RRP is about £130 IIRC, but I've seen them online for £80ish on special offer. A more expensive option is the Tannoy FX5.1 at £200ish. Either will sound better than the Logitechs and keep you going until you can afford Kef eggs or MS Genies as an upgrade.