Receiver/Amplifier recommendation

amarti203

Novice Member
Hello,

thanks for reading the post!

I need help to choose an audio receiver to make a new setup with old beolabs 2x8000,2x6000, 1x7.2 and 1xbeolab 2. The idea is to use it with a new LG C2 TV earc and Sonos Port for music.

I don't know much about amplifiers, if I say something wrong, please excuse me.

setup.png

I need the following features:
  • At least 7.1 preout outputs
  • Atmos
  • 12V Trigger output
  • EARC input
  • Digital input for the sonos port
  • Automatically jump out of standby when an earc signal is received.
  • The idea is that both the TV and the sonos Port can control the volume without using the amplifier's remote control at all.
  • The idea is that each preout audio output could be attenuated/equalised independently once and to store this adjustment.
  • Optional: Channel adjustment via microphone?.
  • If possible, not too expensive, I don't need a studio amplifier.

There is a preamp designed for this case, it is the Almando Multiplay Surround Decoder III, it is a receiver of a little known brand and very probably of worse quality than a Yamaha, Denon, Pioneer, etc. That's why I wanted to avoid Almando, can you recommend me one?

In 2017, some people recommended these: Pioneer SC-LX59, Denon AVR-X3400, Yamaha RX-A830 or RX-V775
but now they are discontinued and I don't know if they meet all the points we need.

You know the subject much better than me, could you please tell me one/some that meet more or less with this characteristics?

Thanks for your help!

Regards,
Albert

ShanePJ

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hi Albert

Looking at the spec's it seems your Beolab speakers are all active, so to me it seems pointless in buying an av receiver and in fact an av processor would be a better option for you. Now these are a little rarer although they are out there. As they're less popular, they usually command a premium with pricing (so, if your budget is tight, then the secondhand market might be a good starting point). You could then look at some active CI speakers for Atmos duties and you would have a complete solution (the only downside is if one of your speakers fails)

As a suggestion (none atmos cheaper option), Emotiva did offer a very compact av processor with the MC-700 which was a 7.1 solution

So, I guess you really need to look at what you really want? Is Atmos so important to you and if so, then you need to find either a AV Receiver with pre-outs so you can use them with your Beolab speakers. The brands mentions (with the exception of Pioneer all have newer models, so a simple search to see which ones still include all the required pre-outs will just be a simple process of looking at the rear for the outputs).

Some AV Receiver have assignable amps which would be perfect for you although these do usually cost a little more and could be similar priced to an av processor bring you in a full circle

If you did away with your speakers, you may find that you can get much more for your money, but when creating a bespoke one which doesn't follow the usual, you will always suffer as you usually find less is available

ShanePJ

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Have you checked with B&O to see if there is an option for your needs. It seems you system was designed to work with BeoVision TV's? They may have an alternative solution for you

amarti203

Novice Member
Hi Albert

Looking at the spec's it seems your Beolab speakers are all active, so to me it seems pointless in buying an av receiver and in fact an av processor would be a better option for you. Now these are a little rarer although they are out there. As they're less popular, they usually command a premium with pricing (so, if your budget is tight, then the secondhand market might be a good starting point). You could then look at some active CI speakers for Atmos duties and you would have a complete solution (the only downside is if one of your speakers fails)

As a suggestion (none atmos cheaper option), Emotiva did offer a very compact av processor with the MC-700 which was a 7.1 solution

So, I guess you really need to look at what you really want? Is Atmos so important to you and if so, then you need to find either a AV Receiver with pre-outs so you can use them with your Beolab speakers. The brands mentions (with the exception of Pioneer all have newer models, so a simple search to see which ones still include all the required pre-outs will just be a simple process of looking at the rear for the outputs).

Some AV Receiver have assignable amps which would be perfect for you although these do usually cost a little more and could be similar priced to an av processor bring you in a full circle

If you did away with your speakers, you may find that you can get much more for your money, but when creating a bespoke one which doesn't follow the usual, you will always suffer as you usually find less is available
Hi ShanePJ,

thanks for your input.

Yes, it is a system based on B&O Beolab active speakers (self-amplified) and I know it is not standard, but I like its concept, they are of quality and right now they are very very good price(the beolab 5 are just amazing, so powerfull...and they are now afordable). But yes, they require a processor or an amplifier in which only the unamplified outputs would be used, like the yamaha RX, etc. But they are easy to use using an adapter that links the unamplified audio output and the 12V trigger signal.

It is a setup that is intended by B&O for use with their TVs of the last decade, but as the TVs are already obsolete, it can be reconverted using earc processors or amplifiers with preouts and a non B&O TV.

B&O may have a solution, but if there is one I don't know about it and I haven't seen much talk about it. Most of people talks about the Almando or the amplifier with preouts.

Dobly Atmos would be implemented if possible on a near future, and I would like if possible as its a step further in the 7.1 chanel traditional setup.

I have seen the MC-700, it seems it is no longer sold, I have also seen the Emotiva MC1 13.2, it seems to be the current version and it looks very good without being exorbitantly priced, it costs less than the Almando Multiplay Surround Decoder III and it offers Atmos. It will come out of standby automatically when receiving eArc? it will adjust the audio levels of its outputs according to the earc volume? I have read their website and it doesn't answer everything, do you know if it would meet my entire list of requirements?

On the other hand I like the Yamahas RX, they look very used and have preouts. I get the feeling that there will be a lot of support from user communities. For example a Yamaha RX-A4A has 7.2 preouts, I can afford it, but I don't know if it would meet the whole list of features..

Regards,
Albert

Last edited:

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
Channel adjustment from microphone? U
Hi ShanePJ,

thanks for your input.

Yes, it is a system based on B&O Beolab active speakers (self-amplified) and I know it is not standard, but I like its concept, they are of quality and right now they are very very good price(the beolab 5 are just amazing, so powerfull...and they are now afordable). But yes, they require a processor or an amplifier in which only the unamplified outputs would be used, like the yamaha RX, etc. But they are easy to use using an adapter that links the unamplified audio output and the 12V trigger signal.

It is a setup that is intended by B&O for use with their TVs of the last decade, but as the TVs are already obsolete, it can be reconverted using earc processors or amplifiers with preouts and a non B&O TV.

B&O may have a solution, but if there is one I don't know about it and I haven't seen much talk about it. Most of people talks about the Almando or the amplifier with preouts.

Dobly Atmos would be implemented if possible on a near future, and I would like if possible as its a step further in the 7.1 chanel traditional setup.

I have seen the MC-700, it seems it is no longer sold, I have also seen the Emotiva MC1 13.2, it seems to be the current version and it looks very good without being exorbitantly priced, it costs less than the Almando Multiplay Surround Decoder III and it offers Atmos. It will come out of standby automatically when receiving eArc? it will adjust the audio levels of its outputs according to the earc volume? I have read their website and it doesn't answer everything, do you know if it would meet my entire list of requirements?

On the other hand I like the Yamahas RX, they look very used and have preouts. I get the feeling that there will be a lot of support from user communities. For example a Yamaha RX-A4A has 7.2 preouts, I can afford it, but I don't know if it would meet the whole list of features..

Regards,
Albert

AV pre amps start at £1000, and go upto £20,000 or something like that.

The Emotiva MC-1 is basically the same unit as the Tonewinner AT-300. It's not a bad AV pre. But it's not a great one, either. It works, has a couple of niggles, but the auto EQ is crap. But it's affordable, has HDMI 2.0, Atmos, DTS:X, multiple sub out, XLR, and 16 channel. I'm using it in a 7.1.4 system (really it's 2 sub but I use a single output)

Since your speakers are active then it makes sense to buy a av pre. A AVR with full set of 7.1 pre outs isn't cheap, they used to be available on mid range models but now you're probably probably £1000+

ShanePJ

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
I have seen the MC-700, it seems it is no longer sold, I have also seen the Emotiva MC1 13.2, it seems to be the current version and it looks very good without being exorbitantly priced, it costs less than the Almando Multiplay Surround Decoder III and it offers Atmos. It will come out of standby automatically when receiving eArc? it will adjust the audio levels of its outputs according to the earc volume? I have read your website and it doesn't answer everything, do you know if it would meet my entire list of requirements?
For the most of this, I would expect it although I have asked the question to be asked for you. I expect I'll get a reply sometime tomorrow as its close to closing time.

As a rule, most people use the AV Remote for controlling volume levels, but due to the nature of ARC, the TV remote should work that way. This only issue you might find is if you are using a media box as that will not be linked into the TV (or shouldn't be) as this should be hooked up to the processor

As for all the outputs, you should be able to achieve a 9.2.4 unless the specs dictate otherwise for a second zone which it would most likely be a 7.2.4

One other thing would be the trigger-out as it only has one and if your speakers require multiple triggers to activate them from sleep, you may need an additional device to get it going plus I would contact B&O just be sure they haven't done anything which means the trigger out only works with their B&O products

ShanePJ

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
I’ve just had word back on the new entry level Emotiva isn’t available in the U.K. just yet, so if your not in any rush, it might be worth holding out

As for the release date, that’s still in discussion so I’m unable to give you anymore information as to when it lands

As for the eARC powering on the Emotiva, that will also depend upon the TV as not all TV models do what they say on the tin when using differing products (which they may not have tested)

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
I’ve just had word back on the new entry level Emotiva isn’t available in the U.K. just yet, so if your not in any rush, it might be worth holding out

As for the release date, that’s still in discussion so I’m unable to give you anymore information as to when it lands

As for the eARC powering on the Emotiva, that will also depend upon the TV as not all TV models do what they say on the tin when using differing products (which they may not have tested)

I'd expect the mc-1 to be around £800

ShanePJ

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Yeah, that’s what price it shows on the Emotiva website although it hasn’t been released here yet (so who knows if that will end up being the price)

amarti203

Novice Member

Have you checked with B&O to see if there is an option for your needs. It seems you system was designed to work with BeoVision TV's? They may have an alternative solution for you
The setup with preouts and any B&O works, with the Beolabs 6000 and 8000 you can use standard line input, with the Beolabs 7.2 or Beolab 2 you have to use Powerlink which is nothing more than analog signal with volume control and the triger, even without 12V triggers would work using the adapters, it really works and many people use it and there are specific adapters on the market such as those from

Even in eBay you will find adapters.

Last edited:

amarti203

Novice Member
Channel adjustment from microphone? U

AV pre amps start at £1000, and go upto £20,000 or something like that.

The Emotiva MC-1 is basically the same unit as the Tonewinner AT-300. It's not a bad AV pre. But it's not a great one, either. It works, has a couple of niggles, but the auto EQ is crap. But it's affordable, has HDMI 2.0, Atmos, DTS:X, multiple sub out, XLR, and 16 channel. I'm using it in a 7.1.4 system (really it's 2 sub but I use a single output)

Since your speakers are active then it makes sense to buy a av pre. A AVR with full set of 7.1 pre outs isn't cheap, they used to be available on mid range models but now you're probably probably £1000+

Channel adjustment from microphone and manual or at least manual.

The price is important but not definitive, I prefer to pay a little more if I have a more cured and standard setup.

The only question is which AV amp with preouts, or which AV pre. The Yamaha RX-A4A is more expensive than the MC1, but I am willing to pay a little more if the quality/support is worth it. I have a feeling that the Yamaha will have much more support and a much more curated product. Their Yamaha Parametric room Acoustic Optimizer (YPAO) looks great.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom