1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Receiver/amp? whats the difference?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by bradalax, Apr 7, 2005.

1. bradalax

bradalax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Greetings, I'l apologise right away for my questions, I'm just starting out in the Home theatre world!

I have a 42" rear projection Tv arriving on Sunday ( :D ) it's High Def ready so I am looking to replace my Panasonic DVD Home Theatre System SA-DM3. I think I'm going to go for a PIONEER DV575 DVD player, but will need something for the surround sound.

The speakers I have are already wired up and pretty much fixed into place, does anyone know if the either of these 2 systems will be able to use my existing speakers (they just have speaker wire so they need the Hi Fi type speaker clip connections)

YAMAHA RXV350 A/V RECEIVER
    PIONEER VSXD514s

Also what is the difference between an amp and a receiver? Am I looking for the right equipment here?

2. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    They are actually both receivers.

An amp + tuner = receiver. Worst case scenario is you will have a redundant radio.

Depending on the existing speaker, clips are not the preferred option of connection.

Better connection is made with banana plugs or spade connectors. But if the amp/receiver doesnt allow it, bare wire it is.

3. bradalax

bradalax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for that Harry.

My exisiting speakers are wall mounted and papered over, I can remove em if need be but I'd rather not! ;) They speaker wire is just bare, can I get something to attach to the wire to enable other connection do you know?

4. lee789

lee789

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The difference between an amp and a receiver is that a receiver has a radio tuner in built.

I don't know anything about your speakers, but guess they'l be small satelite speakers. I can't see any reason why the 514 won't work with these , I think this amp is fine for 6ohm to 16ohm speakers (it will say on the rear of your speakers). This amp has screw fastenings rather than clips, but bare wire goes in them just the same.

I have the 814 amp and 565 dvd and I am pleased with both.

[edit] crossed posting with harry (got sidetracked while typing)

5. lee789

lee789

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    You can get banana clips, but I wouldn't bother bare wire would be fine. Clips are great for convenience but don't add/detract to the signal being carried.

Edit - From reading the manual it only refers to bare wire connections so I'm not sure it takes banana clips (the manual can be downloaded from the pioneer website - its common for the 514,714 and 814 which is why I've got it)

6. bradalax

bradalax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Brill - thanks Lee.

I found both receivers on the Superfi website which is brilliant as it gives you really good pictures of the both the front and rear of the panels.

I wasn't sure about the binding posts, so thanks for that, but the Yamaha does have spring clips as well. So it looks as though both would be suitable! :D

I just need to decide between the 2 now, and as I will probably be getting the Pioneer DVD, I might go for the Pio amp as well.

I've got to say, I've posted a few questions in different topics over the past week, you guys are great! Very helpful.

:smashin:

7. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    If the amp/receiver only allow a bare wire connections, then connect this way. The most important thing is to ensure that there is a "good" connection between the wire and amp.

The disadvantage with clips, that if you use a heavier gauge wire, the clip will not accept it. (You will understand when/if you encounter the situation, but a gross exageration would be trying to fit a rope through the eye of a needle - with the clip being the eye)

<Edit Another cross post. I hope you have many hours of enjoyment out of whatever you end up buying>

8. Kier

Kier
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The Pioneer can definitely accept banana plugs, I'm not sure about the Yamaha though - but I don't recall ever seeing a Yamaha receiver that didn't have banana plug capability.

9. bradalax

bradalax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I really appreciate all the help you guys are giving someone who know nothing! ;)

I really want to get the Yamaha 450, but am waiting to find out if my exisiting sub-woofer will work with it. It's just a basic speaker by the looks of things, no power and it just has the normal speaker wire for it's connection.

10. Kier

Kier
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ah, check out your other thread for my advice on this :)