Question Receiver/amp for Wharfedale EVO 4.4

zorguz

Novice Member
Hello!
I have decided to get Wharfedale EVO 4.4 speakers and would like to know what receiver/amp should i get.
Can anyone explain me all the details about receivers, amp's, pre-amp's and other things i should know.
Should i bi-wire them or single wire?
I will use speakers for music and movies and have in plans in future get sub and rear speakers.

HardLemonade

Novice Member
I've been dealing with the same questions every day since I purchased them. I still haven't answer all of them. However for some inexplicable reason Evos 4.4 seem to sound better single-wired than bi-wired. I came across several opinions on this online ( referring to either 4.4s or 4.2s ) confirming my assumptions. Bi-wiring makes them sound more direct/mid-forward and gives more substance and weight to the midrange (which is a good thing in general) but at a cost of almost completely loosing the soundstage (which otherwise is really good, broad and spacious). It feels like bi-wring sucks all the air out of Evos. I still need to double-check it with other speaker cables as I only checked it with pure-OFC Chord Clearway X cables. Probably adding some silver-coating would improve that.

Another observation that I made is that 4.4s are quite unpredictable also in other regards. Maybe because of the sonically-challenging space of the room I have them put into. But in general if I were You I would take an effort to test and swap several amps before you make a decision which one to keep. Some reviewers mentioned that the better amp you connect to Evos the better sound you will get and the difference will be really prominent. I can confirm that even swapping two very similarly specced affordable class D amps (Sonos Amp vs Harman Kardon Citation Amp) can make a huge difference that would be barely noticeable with other speakers.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung HW-Q800A Soundbar & Rotel Michi X3 Reviews + TV show and Movie News & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom