1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Received Sharp’s XV-Z9000E

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Technophobe, Jan 3, 2002.

1. Technophobe

Technophobe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Finally received Sharp’s XV-Z9000E yesterday afternoon.
    This was dispatched on ANC’s next day delivery two weeks ago!

It quite a large projector, it seems larger in the flesh than the specs portray.
    With it’s 1280X720 resolution the image is very smooth and film like with no artifacts that I could see.
    If there were any they probably would be very small anyway as with this resolution I suspect you wouldn’t see them at normal viewing distance.
    I was impressed with the level of detail even with my cheap DVD player but found the blacks a little disappointing, I think the quoted 1100:1 contrast ratio as rather optimistic as I thought the SIM2 HT200 looked at least as good if not better. Could be because it’s a dimmer picture overall perhaps.

Is it worth 5,800 quid?
    Compared to Sim’s Ht200DM which seems to be the bench mark often referred to here I think it probably is at the moment but how will it compare in terms of performance / pound with imminent arrivals such as Toshiba’s MT5 at 2,722 + Vat and Dreamvision’s CineXone at < 2000 quid.
    I know these are lower res machines, but higher res doesn’t necessarily mean better pictures as many have said on this forum.

Just for record I was using Toshiba’s SD210E on component on a screen with zero gain.
    The picture size was about 5FT

Kevin

2. meva

meva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Cheers for the review, where did you order from again?
    thanks

3. Technophobe

Technophobe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I purchased the Sharp XV-Z9000E ( European Model with warrantee) for 5,800 pounds from:

SHAHSONIC MEGASTORE.
    42 TOTTENHAM COURT ROAD
    LONDON
    W1P 9RD
    TEL 020 7323 0333

Kevin

4. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. LostInUK

LostInUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And what about getting it ISF calibrated? I bet it would get the best out of it. Just a thought.

6. Technophobe

Technophobe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the link Gary.

Does the red filter trick really work I wonder?
    Why don't the manufacturers fit them?

Kevin

7. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Kevin

Good question! I'm open minded, but it does seem like a load of guff!

I quite fancied the Sharp to replace my crt as I prefer the even focus and brightness of panel projectors not to mention the lack of convergence issues but I don't think it's viable. I bought an NEC LT150 to get a feel for DLP and found out that I'm very sensitive to the 'rainbow' effect and get a headache after a couple of minutes viewing. I also discovered 'screen door' for the first time and that DLP projectors have a colour missing, black! So on balance, after running the two projectors side by side for a while I'm going flog my LT150 and see how the technology matures, pity really because the picture is stonking! Still might try and get a look at the Sharp to see if the faster colour wheel stops me getting a headache and seeing 'rainbows'.

Keep us up to date with how you're getting on with it

8. Technophobe

Technophobe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Gary,

Don’t give up on DLP’s until you have seen the Sharp 9000 as I also suffer from the rainbow problem on single speed DLP’s as I found when I borrowed a Sim2 Ht200 for an evening. Not only was it very distracting but I also found it gave me a dreadful headache after an hour or so.
    The sharp is the first PJ I’ve seen that uses the high speed colour wheel solution which for me entirely eliminates the problem. I also find it to have a much more detailed and smoother image than the HT200, more CRT like you might say. I have now played a number of my DVD’s on it and can find no sign of any artifacts, the limiting factor seems to be either my player or the DVD format itself. If you really blow the picture up to around 8FT-9FT you start to see the MPEG limitations on rapid movements.
    Since my last posting I’ve managed to improve the blacks by careful setup of the contrast and brightness to the point where the limiting factor seems to be room it’s in. I think the problem is that the white walls and ceiling are reflecting the light from brighter parts of the image which are washing out the darker parts.
    Scenes that are entirely dark such as the start of Gladiator (Battle scene) are very detailed and the blacks look pretty good to me. But even so I’m still not convinced it has the quoted 1100:1 contrast ratio.
    I guess I really need to see a properly setup CRT projector for a fair comparison, as all the ones I’ve seen to date either have convergence errors and are very dim and washed out. How bright are they normally compared to a typical DLP with 800 lumens for example?

Just getting the black paint out now…

Best Regards

Kevin

9. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,019
    Just in case you really are considering painting the room black... don't use black - use Dulux 6000N mix which is the colour match for a Kodak Grey card. :)

I'm using it on my upper walls and ceiling to reduce reflections and not have the 'dungeon' look that black can give.

Any reflections are neutral and don't affect the screen image. My ht room is my loft, and the screen is very close to the sloping ceiling at the top corners. Bright scenes do show some reflection on the walls there, but the image isn't affected by it.

I figured you were joking, but just in case....

:D

Gary

10. Technophobe

Technophobe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep only joking, I’d never get away with it!
    But I will suggest to her indoors that we should consider using more appropriate colours for the décor.

Now I’ve seen the almost pixel less images the SXGA sharp produces, I’m wondering if I should use a larger screen to get the full benefit. Screens seem to be ridiculously priced for some reason, can you recommend any cheap (sorry I mean cost effective) roll down 16:9 screens that are 72-79 inches wide?
    The pictures are pretty bright, so don’t think I will need much if any gain.

Best Regards

Kevin

P.S. Had some good news this afternoon . The sharp had gone missing in the post so had received a refund. When I contacted Shahsonic to tell them it had turned up and wanted to pay again, they said the sharp was now a SALE item and been reduced by 500 pounds to 5,300 pounds.
    Pretty good compared to SIM’s HT200DM SVGA model at 5,500 pounds don’t you think!:D

11. LostInUK

LostInUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Considering the Sharp is a machine to battler against the HT300 and the Marantz 12, I would said it is a bargain!!!!!!!!!!

12. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can vouch for the 'Dungeon' look! I painted the top half of my converted garage flat matte black and carpeted the lower half below the dado rail with a charcoal grey carpet (to absorb some of the echo) and I get to watch all the films by myself, my wife wont come near the place. Actually, coming to think about it, perhaps it wasn't such a bad idea after all;)

Kevin

I'll take your advice and try and get a look at the Sharp, I would want to use it with a HTPC which seems to be a bit of a problem with it at the moment, have you tried a PC?

Edit:

Kevin, I just read the rest of your post about the price drop!!! That really is an unbelievable bargain!

Re: the screen. Are you only interested in pull-down screens? I've just bought a custom made Da-Lite High Power wall screen 80"x 34" 2.35:1 if you're interested, I'm going to be selling it along with my LT150.

13. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kevin,

Forgive my suspicious nature but what on earth made you phone the supplier up and offer to pay for the Sharp again once you received the refund? My maths is none too good but last time I looked £5800 was a bigger saving than £500;) ;) ;)

14. Technophobe

Technophobe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry I didn't tell the whole story because it's rather complicated, but here goes...

The original purchase price was 5,800 but it never arrived so demanded a refund.

The supplier didn't have any more, so I started phoning other sharp dealers to see if I could find another one.

I phoned a company called Unique TCR LTD who as it turns out are a sister company of the original supplier. They said they had one and it was being discounted in the sale to 5,500. But when they checked the stock they found it had been sold to a man on the south cost i.e. me via the original supplier Shahsonics.
    So that was it, no more in the country that I could find.

Two weeks later the bloody thing turned up at the door on the back of a puffing ANC man.
    So being an honest chap and knowing that ANC would inform the supplier that I had received and signed for it I phoned the supplier and said I would still like to buy it, but wanted it at the SALE price of 5,300. They said their sister company was nothing to with them and that I would have to pay the original price of 5,800.

Being a bit narked by all this I told them to collect the PJ and thought that was the end of it.
    Then yesterday they phoned me and said they had spoken to the store manager who said I could have it at the sister companies sale price after all.
    So the deal was done, one XV-Z9000E for 5,300 inc vat and delivered.

If anyone wants one they do expect more of these in the next month or two at the same price. But I expect if you twist their arm you may get one for the same price I did, as I doubt if many people would be prepared to spend that sort of money on a PJ.

I told you it was a long story.

Kevin

15. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With Regard to the contrast ratio on the Sharp,it has been measured at just over 740:1 by one of the techies on AVS.
    Most manufacturers tend to quote ludicrous figures with regards to how their projectors perform-especially with regard to ansi lumens put out.(a good guide is to half what the manufacturer quotes and your in the right ballpark!)
    A notable exception seems to be the NEC LT150-which with a bit of tweaking can EXCEED the quoted figures.KBK on AVS has managed to tweak one up to 1000:1 contrast ratio.(probably why this little projector is so popular!!)
    Having said this,I have also read that over 400:1 it is very difficult to notice in perceived blackness to something registering at 600:1-for instance. Doug

16. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,130
    I personally think all these contrast ratio figures are rubbish.

What does it mean exactly: for example you could have a contrast range of 1000:1 ie peak white 1000 time brighter than first intensity above black ( if you measure it from black point its like asking how long is a bit of string) but your display device might only resolve 100 intensity levels between your black point and white point.

For example say you set your black point by eye and your white point to ( for arguments sake) 19ftLamberts : call your pedestal black level 1 for arguments sake does that mean your contrast range is 1-19 cause that what everyone else seems to think it is ie the difference between peak white and first level above black as said before: How are they measuring it what units are they using what value are the source patterns they are using to test with ? Incidentally those above figures are pretty normal on a well calibrated CRT monitor which will resolve an intensity scale in the region of 1000 levels ( 1000 measurable/visible changes from off to peak white) ie well up for displaying video images.

Next week : why I get annoyed at the people who say that CRT projecters fed dvd based material are better than film because dmin ( black level) on film is not totally black.