• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Received my wireless router (Netgear WGR614) do I need a cable mobem also

Brendetta

Standard Member
Hi my virgin media 20mb broadband gets installed on the 30th. They have sent me my wireless router but I don't understand how the broadband gets to it. There is a power port and 5 ethernet ports on the back. Isn't there supposed to be a cable port so my internet reaches the router.

At the moment I'm with BT and have a adsl BT voyager 2110 router. I just connect it to the power supply, then and ethernet cable to my pc, ps3, 360 and the laptop connect wirelessly then another cable goes to my phone line. Simple as that. I'm hoping I can do the same method with virgins router to.

With virgin there installing a new cable to my house so arn't I supposed to connect this cable to my new router but there is no port on the router for any other cable to go to it. I've seen my mates cable modem from virgin and on the back of that there is a port on the back for his cable that screws into it, am I supposed to be receiving a cable modem also.

bsuttie

Yes, Virgin will supply a cable modem which will then connect to the WAN port on your router, leaving you with four LAN ports (plus wireless)

regards

Brian

Brendetta

Standard Member
Ah that clears things up then. So will the engineer bring the cable modem when he installs the cables to our house.

I only really need to use the wireless for the laptop but would prefer using a cable for my pc and games consoles. With all this modem and wireless router should I be expecting to open some ports or should p2p and games consoles work fine.

bsuttie

Yes I think that's the way it normally works. Only note of caution is that the coax cable they run is quite large and you don't want it tacked half way round the house round every doorway like my neighbour.

I got them to put the cable modem in the cupboard next to the TV then ran my own Cat5 to where I put the router in the study.

I have my own Linksys cable router, haven't had to manually change anything on that (except setting up security).

regards

Brian

mikeeastgate

It was a while ago, and they may not be as helpful now. Here's what I had. The cable modem is inside the TV cabinet with dvd etc etc. The installation engineer put a wall socket behind the TV, and drilled through the wall, then ran a cable round the outside of the house to the study, drilled through and put in another wall socket. Then he connected the cable modem to the socket behind the TV, and I connected my WGR614 to the socket behind the PC. So my main desktop PC is cabled, Wii uses wireless, and laptop is wireless.

Perhaps you can get similar service,

ME

Brendetta

Standard Member
Thanks. Well is the internet cable the same cable used for the virgin media tv services also. Well we don't plan on getting the virgin tv just yet but I might see if they can put a wall socket downstairs behind the tv for when we get the virgin media tv box. Then I'd like a cable put outside of the house to my room upstairs so I can use that for the internet. The cable modem and wireless router will both be upstairs in my room.

If they can only put one cable and one socket to my house for the internet upstairs I assume its a simple installation in the future for another cable for the tv downstairs.

Brendetta

Standard Member
Its a bit daft how I need two modem/router devices because right now I have a wireless router with BT and it works fine I don't need two of anything. Why don't virgin just get a router that can connect directly to its cable instead of going through the modem first.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom