1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Received my Sony KV32FX68 today... one word... fantastic!

Discussion in 'TVs' started by JohnnyDangerous, Nov 15, 2003.

1. JohnnyDangerous

JohnnyDangerous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :clap:

No buzzing.
    No bleeding.
    No slant.

I was worried for a whole week because of all the horror stories I heard in here.

Ordered my from JL in Bristol for £808.00, which includes delivery, set it up and tune it.

The TV crew came on time. In fact, they came 15 minutes earlier and were very friendly.

The setup:

Sony KV32FX68
    DVD Player
    NTL cable TV
    2 Thor scarts

Plugged both DVD and NTL to the RGB scart ports. Turned the 'auto format' off so that it stays at widescreen at all time.

Tested it out with several DVD movies and watched the rugby world cup, which would have reveals any flaws with it.

Flaws: None

My mate who lives a block from me has a 28" version of Sony, but he uses SkyTV and to be honest... it looks crap.

He realise now that it wasn't his TV that was faulty... it was Sky all along!

Back to watching Matrix: Reloaded.
    :smashin:

2. cosaw

cosaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Yep have heard similar reports about sky. The only really way to test a telly is with a decent source like dvd. Some tellys are judged on their analogue tuner and get bad picture reports. Put a dvd on and you'll see it's not the display device but the input source which is rubish.

cosaw

3. mewho

mewho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i had bad picture problems with ntl using the same telly (kv32fx68u). i had feint vertical lines every 1 1/2 inches across the screen, horrible pixellation on colourful/action packed scenes and just generally awful viewing. so i got NTL to swap the box and that cleared up most of the problems, then i got a profigold scart lead and now the picture is stunning, apart from this weird fizzing/ghosting that happens on bright backgrounds with for example sharp lettering. another example of this is the frank skinner show. the background is like an electric blue and the edges of his face have this horrible fizzing/ghosting and i cant get rid of it no matter what i do. it does do this on dvd but no where near as bad.

anyway, most of the time things are fine so im going to stick with it for now as i think the telly is excellent :)

cheers for now.

4. mansell

mansell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    nice to hear Johnny is another happy Sony owner

5. mdma

mdma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mine arrived on friday (at last!)

generally happy with the tv, but i suffer from the bright backgound problem, and pixelisation too on sky.

i have my pace box since the beginning of sky digital, so would a new box help cure these problems?

i have changed my settings etc in personal and this has helped, but not cured the problem.

i also thought that the display seemed to lack sharpness (like viewing though glass if you know what i mean), but again, this as partially been cured by changing the settings.

i have connected the sky though a thor scart on rgb. this used to give a perfect picture on my jvc 28", but now i suffer with the above.

btw nobody else has noticed the lack of sharpness, so it could just be me looking for it!

overall i am happy :D

6. mewho

mewho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    crickey! i almost signed up to sky in the quest for that perfect picture. im glad i stuck with cable.

by the way, no probs with sharpness on mine, but sometimes it does look like the screen is dirty on the inside, but only with the cable box feeding it. does yours still look dull with the dvd feeding it?

cheers :)

7. mdma

mdma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    re the dvd :

i put attack of the clones in when setting it up and, only played it for a min which looked ok.

last night, 28 days later, it did look "dirty", but granted the film is dark in places and that it wasnt necessarily on the best setting then i wouldnt like to say this was the norm.

now i am gonna put it to the test : a vcd of this weeks friends!

i even went into a store today, and the one on show did also looked "out of focus", so i think it must just be me looking for it!

i shall report back.

sadly, theres no cable where i live, so sky is the only option. also gas isnt available in some of the area. not that will bother the sharpness of my new tv!

8. mewho

mewho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    another thing i forgot to mention is that i have a freeview box (panasonic tuct20) and the picture from that is miles better than the cable box. aparently ntl are switching over to samsung cable boxes in the new year so hopefully that will rectify things.

p.s. im quite proud of my "gas" hehe :)

9. JohnnyDangerous

JohnnyDangerous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mewho, tell me more about the new cable box...

Also, I heard this from a cable guy who installed my NTL cable saying that you could call NTL and have them boost your signal.

The cable guy was saying that the cable signal rate goes like this: - 8 to +8

My signal at the moment is: +4

The closer to zero the better the signal.

10. mewho

mewho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok heres what happened. when you are on NTL broadband through the set top box, you deal with 2 different depts. my broadband (1meg service) was dropping the connection many times and especially late at night. so i got an engineer out who told me that at this time of year the "box on the corner of the street" constricted with the cold and thus the signal needed adjusting. i thought ok that sounds plausible....and the ****e picture quality kept coming...it got worse!. in the midst of this situation i was trying to buy a new telly (kv32fx68u), and then they came out again and told me again about the constricting cables at the street corner terminal. this time though, the engineer, who was very helpful, told me that i needed a seperate broadband modem and a new set top box. ok a couple of weeks passed and they came and installed a new box. in the usual rushed style, they cocked it up. when i eventually got it working the picture was better, but i could still see these feint vertical lines. i thought grrrrrrrrrrr, im gonna cancel ntl and get sky. anyway the engineer left me a mobile number of his boss who was conveniently on holiday. on the boss's answerphone there was a number for the team leader, so i rang that....i spoke to him and he seemed like a decent bloke and he promised to get things sorted by tuesday. friday came and went....so did the friday after so i rang him and he had forgot all about it. so i rang ntl customer "services" again...spoke to a really arrogant idiot and so i hung up. next day i tried again and spoke to a most lovely woman who arranged for another engineer to come out, and she gave me a free family pack for a month (which incidentally i had just cancelled because it is crap)..........anyway, the engineer comes round with another new box (this time a pace 2000 series as opposed to a 4000 series) and he set it up....set it up wrong (yawn)....anyway 2 days later i get my tv channels and internet back....the internet is still dropping the signal so i ring to ask where my seperate cable modem is, and they then tell me that i cant have one unless i pay by direct debit. they knew i cant pay by direct debit in the first place, and now i have this new box, and the internet still drops off regularly. so it looks like im going to have to wait for the samsung boxes to appear in the new year.

sorry for the long rant, but you did ask :)

11. mewho

mewho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my apologies again for doing this in this thread......does anyone notice that there is a distinct lack of bass on this telly?...even with the bass cranked up?. the general sound is ok and i do use it through an amp....but when using it as a standalone telly, it is pretty tinny for such a big set.

any thoughts anyone?

cheers for tonight :)

12. Ivor_Biggern

Ivor_Biggern

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    I have the KV28FX68 and i don`t have any of the probs mentioned above, the picture quality is fantastic and the sound is unbelievable especially when playing a dvd. I watched Terminator 2 again the other night and the sound where the robots foot stamps on a skull at the beining shudders the room.

I`m now looking at the Sony reciever and speaker packages for even better sounds!

My set up is all Sony:

TV-KV28FX68

DVP-NS705V

VHS- SLV-SE830

Sony Free View box

Thor Scart leads:

Sony gets my vote! :clap:

13. mewho

mewho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi evo, im glad you dont have the probs that we have. reading the review of the 32" now. not really a good review. a bit too quick and easy for me. but saying that, i have yet to find any other review of it. it does however mention the fizzing/ghosting.

hmmmm

p.s. i say not a good review. what i meant was that the review wasnt very good and not the review of the telly. that still doesnt make any sense does it?

it was a quicky review is what i mean. yes thats what i meant!

14. mdma

mdma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dont know whats happened, but since coming home from work on mon (the tv had been on a few hours by then!) and the picture quality had improved.

i now watch it with pride! sounds daft i know, but it would appear that the tube needed some warming up!

the sound i can not fault :D

i am beginning to like it after all!

15. JohnnyDangerous

JohnnyDangerous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You have to remember that during 6pm is where all the 'live' news and certain shows, which use poor signal transmission.

If you watch the news again at 9pm or so... ever notice the quality is vastly superior?

It is because it is recorded.

16. dr_mabuse

dr_mabuse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Johnny
    Can I ask you about your comment "Turned the 'auto format' off so that it stays at widescreen at all time."

I have seen loads of much more modern sets than my ageing Thomson WS but it drives me nuts when the format jumps around between channels (and even sometimes the adverts). My old set allows me to "force" format on every channel to 16:9, so that everything that is actually transmitted 16:9 such as Sky Sports footie, Golf, Sky Movies etc is perfect, and the rest is on a "best guess" zoom.

Does this Sony retain the same format whichever cable channel you select? What is the zoom of 4:3 material like - has it got that hideous "goldfish bowl" effect at the edges?

I have Sky and they are moving over (slowly mind) to more and more 16:9 programming, but my mate has a 2 yr old Sony (don't know which model) but that one looks crap when 4:3 material is zoomed. Course I don't know how he's set it.

Cheers - and thanks in advance

dr_m

17. JohnnyDangerous

JohnnyDangerous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes. Sony KV32FX68 retains the same format no matter what. In the Sony TV menu, it is set to full (16:9) and also in NTL TV cable, it is set to full too.

If there is a special movie that is in letterbox format it will switch to that. Same thing with DVD movies.

Nope. No goldfish bowl in sight when viewing in 4:3 ratio.

KV32FX68 is awesome! :smashin: