Recc's for DVD player - £300 budget

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Biccy, Dec 9, 2004.

1. Biccy

Biccy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After moving my Tosh dvdr upstairs im looking for a new DVD player. Its to go with a panny 32pm1 CRT telly which is not prog scan so will be using RGB scart only. Are there any DVD players about for £300..may stretch to £400...that excel in picture quality. Not too worried about SACD or DVD-A as its solely for watching DVD's, surround sound quality will obviously be important too. Can get the Sony DVP-NS930 from a Sony retailer for £240 but wondered if anything else available would be better? Build quality important too for that price & admittely I like the look of a larger unit rather than the thin models about. Any help appreciated, thanks.

2. jtf

jtf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    i've got a pioneer 575a with my 28pm1 and it is more than enough for this tv. I also have none of the probs that you normally get with a pioneer/panasonic combo

3. Edt

Edt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Very happy with my Camb Audio Azur 540D. Does a few things you dont need (P scan, audio) but picture very good, sound great, easy interface, good styling, nice remote
    Ed

4. Loada

Loada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    How about the new Panasonic S97EBS? Multi-region for around £250ish. Standout feature being HDMI (720p/1080i upscaling) - handy to have.

5. jtf

jtf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    i had the azur 540d and it was nothing but trouble hence why i now have a pioneer. imo the pioneer offers better sound and picture for a lot less cash

6. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I have Pioneer players and think they are great BUT be careful using RGB scart and Panasonic TV's as there are reported "banding" problems with some sets.

7. Biccy

Biccy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the replies, just got in & read them all. had a look at the cambridge azur's in rs yesterday, might get them to hook 1 up. also thinking about the pioneer 575's, they just seem alot of player for the money, didn't know if there was a catch with them ie.build quality.

8. jtf

jtf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    i did have the azur 540d but wasn,t very happy with it. as i said above i have the 28pm1 and found that when watching a widescreen movie the picture was moved upwards so that the top bar was very narrow compared to the bottom, more annoying than anything else, it would never remember where it was in the movie if you turned the player off, would take forever to turn itself on and also when the disc was playing you could hear a clicking noise as if the disc was loose. i though that it may just be a dodgy player but looking at a few posts on the forum there were a few people having the same fault. yes the azur does look very nice and the build quility is better than the pioneer but for picture and sound the 575a comes out on top for me. its also £80 cheaper

9. Edt

Edt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I'm still very happy with my 540D. Have been using it a LOT over the last week & it plays everything well (audio too) plus gives me control to trim the rear speaker levels, which my system needs (out dog seems a bit perplexed by the rears though)
    Ed