1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

reccommend a cheap turntable please

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Desticado, Apr 18, 2004.

1. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi there

A friend of mine is after a new cheap turntable (about £200-£250) to go with his pioneer system. Was wondering if anyone could reccommend something for him as I dont have a clue on decks.

Thanks for looking.

2. VirusKiller

VirusKiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    From what I've read in various mags (Hifi Choice, What Hifi, Hifi News), the Pro-ject, Rega and Goldring ranges are the ones to go for at this level (but see my comments regarding Goldring below).

Possibilities are:

Pro-ject Debut Phono SB including arm, cartridge and built-in phono section for £170 - basically the same as the highly rated budget Pro-ject Debut, but with electronic rather than manual (move the belt!) speed switching.

Pro-ject 1 Xpression including including arm and cartridge for £210. Add £40 for a Pro-ject Phono Box phone section if the Pioneer amp doesn't have a dedicated phono input.

Rega P2 including arm, but not cartridge for £170. So you'd need to add a cartridge and, again, a phone input section if required.

Goldring GR1 including arm and cartridge for £140. This is a current WHF budget favourite, but I read a bad review on this elsewhere saying that the manufacturing quality was dodgy (they tried 4 different units and were still not happy).

3. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    thanks for that.
    Sounds like the project Debut Phono SB will do him. Got any suggestions on where is the best place to get it? I used to use hifijunkies but they've gone down the pan.

Regards

4. VirusKiller

VirusKiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    The Sevenoaks chain stock them I think. I used them once to buy my first separates system, but that was 14 years ago(!) so I can't comment on them as a retailer....

Pricewise, new turntables (unlike mass-produced hifi) are pretty difficult to find below the recommended retail price, unless they are end-of-line.

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
  6. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,821
    I have a Technics 1210 Mk2 with a Shure M97 cartrdige. It sounds very pleasant.

They can be got for £200-£250 second hand.

7. SOUNDSTYLE

SOUNDSTYLE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I have the Project Debut. For the money, your friend can't go wrong. Very good sound.

8. ollie501

ollie501

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Project Debut II SB phono owner here, and very pleased with it.
    Thanks to the advice received here, I upgraded the cartridge to an Ortofon 520, and the sound is superb. For the money, your caqn't go far wrong, and I definately recommend a cartridge update - the fitted 5e is great, but an upgrade will give you much better definition.

HTH!
    Ollie

9. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Another vote for the Project Debut Phono Ive bought 2 for friends and all I can say is that at £120 i paid for them, they are IMHO the best pound per pound hifi components Ive ever heard in my life, I replaced my LP12 (and my amps half decent MM/MC stage) with one for a week to see if I could live with it and the answer was a resounding yes. The £170 SB just adds 33/45 electronically I believe.

Also consider the Rega P2 @ £198 as well, aint heard one but good reports about them, the £140 Goldring was reviewed in HFN recently and the review sample was knackered IIRC - not a good sign due to build quality.

HTHs

10. Jimmysil

Jimmysil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree, the project debut turntable is a great bit of kit for the price.

It sounds so good, that I had to upgrade my cd player because it made my cds sound very bright in comparison.

11. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,821
    Vinyl will always sound better than CD. CD has perfect sound regarding hiss and crackle but, vinyl sound is much more real. Also the bass is often much better.

I have been into records a long time and no CD (or SACD) is better than vinyl.

I recently got the vinyl version of Pink Floyd's Division Bell. I have been listening to the cD for the last 10 years. The record blew it away after listening to it for about 2 minutes.

Those with a project, what cartridge does it have, They normally come with a ortofon one, my Dad has the Debut II and upgraded to a Ortofon OM5E (about £70).

He has a review here on his site -

http://www.apah69.dsl.pipex.com/keith_g/debut/debut.htm

For anyone who like Project generally, he has a Project RPM9 as well (with a Shure V15 cartridge).

http://www.apah69.dsl.pipex.com/keith_g/project rpm9/projectrpm9.htm

12. Jimmysil

Jimmysil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My debut came with a Ortofon OM5E fitted.

I agree with you about the vinyl sound, but a my rega planet does a good job at making cds sound more vinyl.

13. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,821
    It must come with the OM5E as standard then. I should remember which one as I bought it.

I think it was the OM30. He also has the Ortofon 520 mkII.

14. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    The project and Rega turntables are sound buys. It's also worth scouring ebay for the odd surprise. Manticore mantras occasionaly turn up and sell for around £180-250, as do the Linn Axis. Turntables are a fairly safe second hand bet as they're built to last and can be easily serviced.

Cartridges................... hmmmm. Regas own are pretty good, as are the cheaper Denons. Not that keen on cheaper Ortofons as they err on the dull side of neutral.

15. Magic

Magic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I think the Audio Technica AT110E is the best value MM around at £30. It's been around for years without any major revisions (with good reason) & works extremely well in budget turntables & with budget phono stages. Sounds superb on a Rega P2 & really shows its virtues on a Systemdek/Audio Note with a RB250/300.

Not all the cheaper Ortofons are awful (although the OM variants generally are). The 510/II for £40 is very good & especially suits ultra low mass tonearms (like the semi auto Dual/Thorens brigade).

The £70 Goldring 1042 is a real step up, but I'm not sure what these are like in the more basic Project decks, but can turbo charge their mid range offerings. This is a bit of a waste in a sub £300 phono stage though, so save your money.

A word of caution about 2nd hand turnatbles. The main bearing & motor & gimbal bearings in the arm can be worn out on older decks, so be aware of this. They are generally not economic to repair in budget decks. The Linn Basik/Plus & Akito arms are not great in this area. The Rega arms fair better (which is why they usually make more). You can pick up a decent Systemdek IIX/900 & RB250 for around £200 which will comfortably outperform all the sub LP12/Xerxes competition.

16. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,821
    I have one of those (as well as the cheaper 95). I like to use the AT for rock music such as Queen, Pink Floyd and music like Yello. It has nice sound bass.

I then use a Shure V97 for instrumental music such as Vangelis which requires better clarity and soundstaging.

I also had a 1042 Goldring but the sound was too noisy (on a Pink Triangle deck). I never got happy with either the deck or the cartridge.

The 520 Ortofon is a big upgrade from the 510 hence the more expensive price.

17. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    They can, but I must admit we didn't come across many, including some quite old Garrards, where they had. Something fairly recent such as the Manticore shouldn't suffer from that problem. They also came armed with a REGA 250/300 or moth. Having said that I have friends with Heybrooks TT2's and Thorens 280's and they are problem free as well. Despite their age.

The Systemdeks also a sound buy.

The 510 is a reasonable cartridge as is the AT110. I just never found the 500 series that exciting.............. The old nagaokas had them beat for detail and clarity.

18. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,821
    I have had one of them as well. I can't remember the model. I had it on a fancy Aiwa automatic turntable (that was programmeable track order and had a remote!).

I think this was the cartridge (on my Technics 1210). It doesn't seem to be working at the moment (blame Pipex).

www.apah20.dsl.pipex.com/music/deck.jpg

19. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I have a goldring gr1 decka nd am very happy :) with the deck ,the build quality and the sound of it. I have been advised to upgrade to a rega cartridge to get the best from it.

20. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :( I really want a turntable, but if I got one I think my life would end. My CD buying habits are bad enough. I was tempted by the new Keane album on vinyl tonight, and I don't even have a record deck, and I've been telling myself not to get one til I have a proper income!

21. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Im just glad I had a turntable in my youth so I have a large collection of records to play. Still doesnt match my cd collection though :devil:

You can never earn enough for this hobby mate :D