Reccomended speakers for 3.5m x 4.5 m room.

Grimreaper1232

Standard Member
Reaction score
Really, as the title says, will be playing a mix if films, music, and sounds from computer games (not sure what that is classed as really). Input wise, going into the amp (Model not decided, help appreciated) will be my HTCP, Xbox 360, possibly xbox 360, ipod dock, and a bluray player. What can people recommend for both speakers and amp. Budget for speakers is around £500, amp, really the lowest I can get away with without compromising on either features or quality if you know what I mean.

I would prefer instead of getting a full set for £500, maybe getting a couple of speakers now for a good price, with potential to add more on later, instead of having to start again if I want to upgrade in the future.

Thanks in advance.

Is your ultimate goal to have a complete 5.1 system?

Personally, I think for £500, you are better off forgetting about surround sound, though I know some will disagree, and instead concentrating on a good stereo.

For £500, you can get a marginal surround sound, but for that same price you can get a pretty good stereo system.

Steve/bluewizard

I would prefer to spend the £500 on part of a surround sound system. Correct me if I am wrong but would I not be able buy a couple of good speakers, mabye some floorstanders or a couple of bookshelf speakers and a centre speaker, which could be used by themselves, then add more on later?

why not spend £500 on an Av amp and ask around friends etc for some speakers? maybe shop at car boot sales or ask on freecycle. That is assuming you can then save for some better speakers? A long term plan for a better system maybe

I think buying them bit by bit is a good idea but I would buy the fronts AND the centre at the same time and from the same range, That way, you will ensure tonal matching across the front soundstage. If when you later buy the surrounds, the range has changed, buying surrounds that aren't exactly from the same speaker range, isn't a problem.

why not spend £500 on an Av amp and ask around friends etc for some speakers? maybe shop at car boot sales or ask on freecycle. That is assuming you can then save for some better speakers? A long term plan for a better system maybe

I would not be spending £500 on EITHER speakerrs or amp, I have some other money for an amp put aside.

BlueWizard: That sounds like the kind of thing I was planning, can anybody reccomend a good line/brand for me, dont mind if I is a bit over £500 as long as its worth it.

So, let me make sure I understand, the £500 is just for speakers; you have other money set aside for an amp?

Is that correct?

How much money for the amp?

In this case, while cutting it close, you can probably get a nice AV system, or at least, a nice start on an AV system.

And yes, you can do well to start with the front three. Rear surrounds aren't that much money, so you can add them very quickly, perhaps even to start with. It is the Sub that cost the big money. For that, you need minimum £200; and preferably £300 or more.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:
£500 just for speakers correct, with seperate money for amp. Would prefer to make a start on a good AV speaker setup than have a complete avarage one.

Is a sub a fundemental starting point of a speaker setup, or if I start with floorstanders can I add a sub later?

I think most people on here would agree that the front three speakers are the most important. If you're looking to build your system slowly I would spend the £500 on a pair of floorstanders and a centre speaker (from the same range as Bluewizard has suggested)

Do you have an amp in mind? It will help the guys with speaker suggestions (some match better than others).

I think most people on here would agree that the front three speakers are the most important. If you're looking to build your system slowly I would spend the £500 on a pair of floorstanders and a centre speaker (from the same range as Bluewizard has suggested)

Do you have an amp in mind? It will help the guys with speaker suggestions (some match better than others).

That sounds like what I was planning.

Amp wise was looking at RX-V1065 for £510, again, a bit expensive but so I do not have to upgrade in a year or so if I wanted to.

Last edited:
I've no first hand experience of the RX-1065 but from what I've read on these boards it comes well recommended :smashin:

It's a warm sounding amp so will complement bright sounding speakers. One example is Monitor Audio, there are lots of people picking up bargains on the RS (Silver series) speakers because they have just been replaced by a newer model.

I believe most retailers are selling them at half the price quoted online if you call the store directly. This means you should be able to get a pair of RS6 floorstanders for £330 and a RSLCR centre for about £140.

The MS Silver Series speakers and Yammy amp should make an excellent match but it's always advisable to go and demo the combo in a showroom before buying.

I have branches of sevenoaks and richer sounds near where I live so I can have a look and a test of the amp with variety of different speakers.

Are there any other speakers that I could ask to test, just to give me a comparison betweem different ones?

Last edited:
I would not be spending £500 on EITHER speakerrs or amp, I have some other money for an amp put aside.

Your original post wasnt very clear hence my suggestion.

£500 for speakers - 2nd hand will get you hellav lot more for your money. Lots of people on here selling speakers that are practically brand new just because they find they dont like them after living with them. You could do much worse than searching the classifieds.

I like m&k speakers

Great idea, only problem is I am 16, 18 years of age to purchase anything. Might pop into sevenoaks and see if they have any Monitor Audio rs speakers discounted.

I've no first hand experience of the RX-1065 but from what I've read on these boards it comes well recommended :smashin:

It's a warm sounding amp so will complement bright sounding speakers. One example is Monitor Audio, there are lots of people picking up bargains on the RS (Silver series) speakers because they have just been replaced by a newer model.

I believe most retailers are selling them at half the price quoted online if you call the store directly. This means you should be able to get a pair of RS6 floorstanders for £330 and a RSLCR centre for about £140.

The MS Silver Series speakers and Yammy amp should make an excellent match but it's always advisable to go and demo the combo in a showroom before buying.

I don't suppose you have any links please?

Ryan

Went into Sevenoaks in Brighton today to have a look around. Unfortunatly, they did not have any Monitor Audio RS, neither did Richer Sounds.

Basically what he said was to have a look at the Dennon denon 1910 instead of the Yamaha RX - 1065 due to the amount I am planning on spending on speakers. From people's experience, how good is the denon compared to the yamaha or other recievers in that price range?

There's a lot of love for the Denon 1910 on here so that would be another good option. Maybe post in the AV Receiver thread for advice on the Denon vs Yammy.

Did you demo any speakers/av receivers at Sevenoaks?

Try calling Audio T for a demo of the RS Series. They haven't discounted them to the same degree as many of the other retailers (online store says £500) but you might be able to get them to price match :smashin:

Audio T
Tel: 01273 609431
69 London Road
Brighton, BN1 4JE
www.audio-t.co.uk

Will post in there in a sec, good idea, thanks.

Did not demo anything, he seemed reluctant to get specific about any speakers for some reason, or maybe I am imagining it.

Seeing if they would price match is a good idea, but where could I show them a lower price from, most places seem to have sold out.

Not sure where to price match. Have you tried Frank Harvey/hifix? They were selling the RS series super cheap a few weeks back but don't know if they have any left.

Will post in there in a sec, good idea, thanks.

Did not demo anything, he seemed reluctant to get specific about any speakers for some reason, or maybe I am imagining it.

You probably wernt imaging it. That happens when you arent spending gajillions of £££££ Welcome to the world of hifi/av snobbery :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom