Question Reccomendation, sound quality, between new Onkyo TX-SR494 vs Denon AVR-X2500H vs Denon AVR-X1500H

cyranoidy

Novice Member
Good morning guys,

i am new in the forum, and i am excited in having the opportunity to buy my very first AV reciever, but beeing overwhelmed in the quantity of information that i can find arround. i was searching for a reciever that i can get for arround 250 € to up 380€ , i can get info an all specs, but not the sound quality, i mean, i know how important internal components are for the sound quality, and future proof... but seems that Onkio makes a bad job on launchiong new products, as i cannot find any proper review, or any proper info about the quality of the internal components, in the oher hand, denon , has even pics of the internals, showing all the "guts"....

i had the opportunity to buy the newly launched tx-SR494, for 250 euros, from amazon , refurbished, also the x2500H second hand in amazon for 280 €, and i can find the denond x1500H new for arround 270 €.

VS

VS

i was late in buying the 2500H as it was sold when i realised but i can wait a little if it comes out again (it will be a hard one to get at thsi price point that i have, i now, but looking at the price history there is a lot of second hand and amazon flash offers, so i might get lucky again) , so i found the offer of the onkyo and i bought it, its gona come in a week or two , but, wondering about the sound qualitym of the components.... i am a heavy spotify user, and i found that the onkyo lacks of wifi streaming services.... a big no no, for a newly launched 2019 reciever.... so i am wondering to return it for that simple reason, but also i want to know if it has other benefits that the other two denons don't have, as i can not see a big hype on that receiver, even beeing a newly released one... and they announced in a press release, that they will be launching airplay, (i'm a google home user if i tell you the truth) but not on this models: Onkyo | Onkyo Launches Apple AirPlay 2 Support in Spring 2019. ... onkyo WTF?

my most interest on the av recievers are, compatibility with music services as spotify (not having my phone on bluetooth transmitting all time, or my tv on, for playing the spotify app in it) and the sound quality , and of course Dolby ATMOS (that is why i am buying a new reciever) but that last point i assume it, as all of the recievers exposed are Atmos, not interested in power, as i live in a flat, and i dont neeed power, i just need quality in low volume.

Thanks for your expertise guys, and if by the way you can recoomend me a good value quality speaker set will be awesome (i actually looked at the JBL HKTS 5 or JBL HKTS16) any good? any better same pricepoint?

i leave the links of all the specs of them 3:

ONKYO

Onkyo | TX-SR494

DENON 2500H
https://usa.denon.com/us/product/hometheater/receivers/avrx2500h

DENON 1500H
https://usa.denon.com/us/product/hometheater/receivers/avrx1500h

Thanks guys for all the expertise that you have on that area, as new people like me, we can start to experience this thrilling experience of that "other level" of sound quality.

big hugs from spain.

dante01

Distinguished Member
I'd avoid the Onkyo based upon its room EQ correction. Onkyo implement their own proprietary AccuEQ room EQ correction whhile the Denon models you mention use Audyssey's MultEQ XT system. The AccuEQ system is heavilly criticised and even said to be not fit for purpose.

When it comes to speakers, you'd be advised to spend more than you've budgetted for. The speakers effect the sound more than the AV receiver powering them does. One rule of thumb suggests that you should spend at least double and preferably treble the cost of the AV receiver on a 5.1 speaker package to get the best from both.

If wanting Atmos then it should also be noted that you'll need additional speakers. You'll need an additional 2 height, upward firing or ceiling mounted speakers as well as the 5.1 package to give you the minimum 5.1.2 speaker configuration required for Atmos.

Unless you need the additional video processing abilities associated with the AVRX2500 then you'd not be able to differentiate the difference between it and the AVRX1500. The AVRX2500 may perform better at higher volumes though die to it being a slighly more powerful receiver. This gives it more headroom before distortion becomes apparent. This will be more noticable the larger the room you intend using it in is.

Last edited:

Whitters1uk

I can't really comment on direct comparisons as I haven't tried all 3, but I recently bought a 2500h largely off the back of good reviews, the streaming services I needed (Alexa integration for example), Atmos, full 4k, hdr & dolby vision on each hdmi, and having the much needed more hdmi inputs than the 1500h.

I'm very happy with it and the sound quality is a marked improvement over my previous 12 year old amp.

cyranoidy

Novice Member
I'd avoid the Onkyo based upon its room EQ correction. Onkyo implement their own proprietary AccuEQ room EQ correction whhile the Denon models you mention use Audyssey's MultEQ XT system. The AccuEQ system is heavilly criticised and even said to be not fit for purpose.

When it comes to speakers, you'd be advised to spend more than you've budgetted for. The speakers effect the sound more than the AV receiver powering them does. One rule of thumb suggests that you should spend at least double and preferably treble the cost of the AV receiver on a 5.1 speaker package to get the best from both.

If wanting Atmos then it should also be noted that you'll need additional speakers. You'll need an additional 2 height, upward firing or ceiling mounted speakers as well as the 5.1 package to give you the minimum 5.1.2 speaker configuration required for Atmos.

Unless you need the additional video processing abilities associated with the AVRX2500 then you'd not be able to differentiate the difference between it and the AVRX1500. The AVRX2500 may perform better at higher volumes though die to it being a slighly more powerful receiver. This gives it more headroom before distortion becomes apparent. This will be more noticable the larger the room you intend using it in is.
mmm Thanks a million dante, so its best for the same price to get the 1500H NEW than the second hand 2500H... the sound quality won't be noticeable then between one and the other as i see ... so talking about speakers, i have been looking ... and i cannot make my mind, i dont have avery big room, i am 4 m away from the tv and back where i am there is a wall, straight ceiling for placing the atmos speakers. (3,5 m heght more or less) .. i dont need very powerful speakers i only want them to sound good.. i had been looking and i found a good offer for this ones:

Klipsch RP 160M

for 260 € the pair

But .. i dont need all the output power they provide, and the bass they provide, as i was p`lanning to put an extra subwoffer into the system, wouldn't be a better approach to get a smaller less powerful ones, and add a subwoffer,? or is better to have this big fellas do the job?

i had a look also at this models :

Elac Debut 2.0 B6.2 120W

and this ones:

Q Acoustics 3010i

I see that 3 contenders as a good ones, but i therms of not wanting to oevrpass the 35% of the power of the system, (living in a flat, and not willing to make my neighbours angry) wich you consider they can deliver the most out of it, (i will also have to know what types of speakers are good for the different channels atmos setup, so , tose models are good for the front left, front right , and back left , and back righ, but are they good for the center front channel ? i know that i will have to get a more flat ones for the ceiling for the atmos setup....

Thanks guys for helping me out here i much appreciate all the fast answers that you provided i hope that in a future can be sort of a axperienced user and help others out like you do! :)

cyranoidy

Novice Member
I can't really comment on direct comparisons as I haven't tried all 3, but I recently bought a 2500h largely off the back of good reviews, the streaming services I needed (Alexa integration for example), Atmos, full 4k, hdr & dolby vision on each hdmi, and having the much needed more hdmi inputs than the 1500h.

I'm very happy with it and the sound quality is a marked improvement over my previous 12 year old amp.
thanks for your answer i also think the alexa integration is very useful, for a modern individuals like us , that everyday we want everything more "connected" thanks for your feedback witters!!! :D much appreciated

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming to Netflix in November 2020: Tom's Thumbs.
Top Bottom