1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reccomendation for top end speaker cable for Tag McLaren 125M -> Dynaudio Contour?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by tjobbins, Aug 11, 2005.

1. tjobbins

tjobbins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

I have a pair of Dynaudio Contour 1.3 MKIIs, and am hopefully buying 2*Tag McLaren 125M monoblocs to power them.

As I will be using monoblocs (for the first time!) I plan to put the blocs right under the speakers, and thus have a speaker cable run of only 0.75M per speaker. As such I feel able to splash out on some really top quality cable.

Anyone got a recommendation in the region of £50-100/metre ?

Thanks

Tom

2. Troon

Troon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You're judging speaker cable quality on price per metre? If it were empirically determined that 30A solid core twin+earth mains cable gave the best electrical performance, would you ignore it because it's less than £50/m?

I do not believe you could tell the difference in a proper blind test between 2.5mm² T+E, QED 79-strand equivalent or the esoteric boutique cable of your choice.

My recommendation would be to spend about a tenner on some really thick generic multi-strand wire and decent terminations, and spend the rest of the budget on music.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    transferred to cable forum

4. tjobbins

tjobbins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oops, thanks, didn't see this forum!

I've never spent more than £5/m on speaker cable before, or more than £25 on a 2m phono cable. And yes I know that cable prices are vastly inflated, that pro audio engineers use cables much cheaper, that it's probably all snake oil. But I'm doing a big upgrade on my home theatre, and I feel like splashing out on something 'high-end' even if I can't necessarily pinpoint the exact benefit in a blind test. I only need 1.5m of the stuff.

Stupid? Perhaps. But I'm figuring that with so many audiophiles spending big bucks on cables, they can't all be wrong..

5. stebbo

stebbo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There really is one born every minute! :devil:

6. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    TJ.

Van Damme Blue Series 2 x 4mm2 loudspeaker cable. £2.99 per metre. Maplins.

If you want some interesting reading on £50/£100m loudspeaker cable go to page 3 of this thread :

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141489

And check out the £60/m QED Genesis Silver Spiral cables.£60/m remember.

Never in the history of hifi has so much crap and false marketing been written about plain old copper loudspeaker cables as we see these days. The movement against such tripe is very strong in audiophile circles TBH. Even cable believers are using the £2/3 a metre Van Damme over £50/100 a metre stuff. Save yourself some money dude and add it to your next box upgrade. Or buy some more CDs, take SWMBO out for a meal, just dont waste it on - plain copper sheathed cable that is marketed as being "fancy", the only way its fancy is when its sold to an audiophile willing to believe the changes claimed beforehand - even before they listen to the cable.

IMHO

7. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Just to show what I’m talking about the hype given to £100/m loudspeaker cables, check out the Kimber 8TC cable sold by Russ Andrews, this cable is £106/m so within your budget :

http://www.russandrews.com/product.asp?pf_id=3183&src=email051

But recently, the sheathing has changed from blue/black to the clear covwering above, same copper, same configuration but yep you have guessed it its gots better, a lot better in fact :

We know you'll love the great new look that Kimber have given their hugely popular 8TC speaker cables in this Special Edition model.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Using purer clear and white insulation means that you get a boost in performance over the standard blue and black 8TC speaker cable. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

But just like the award winning blue and black 8TC cable, Special Edition 8TC uses the same Hyper-pure copper for the conductors and the same unique Kimber weave to remove and reject interference. Your sound from your system will be crystal-clear, pure, natural and detailed

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

8. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Oh dear! However I did buy some reasonably expensive Kimber Speaker cable and I feel that it is better than what it replaced. The purchase made me happy and thats what matters in my book.

9. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    If you bought kimber speaker cable I doubt you deserve your user name! ;)

that is one of the funniest claims I have ever heard.

10. tjobbins

tjobbins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, I'm sold. It's CAT5 for me all the way!

You must forgive my moment of madness. I have always known that cables were overpriced and have never spent very much on them (http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1370433&highlight=cable#post1370433). I just got carried away thinking that if I was spending so much on new amps and speakers, I should get some decent cables too just so I couldn't have any niggling doubts as to whether they were a weak spot in my system :)

11. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Im not sure that my girlfriend would agree with you!

12. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    she's just jealous you spent it on cables rather than flowers!

13. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Bingo!

But on a serious note i think it would be worth trying out some better cables before deciding. If they make no difference then fair enough. Russ Andrews do a 60 day money back guarantee and im sure that a decent local dealer will be able to lend you some cable to test.

14. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Cheapskate please explain what constitutes "better cables" ? If it is mumbo jumbo made up by a cable manufacturer or the dealer selling them, well many of us have a problem with even calling these "expensive" and I mean £5+ on speaker cables as "better" than the ones we currently use. Its an implied superiority that simply is not there in speaker cables.

ATB

15. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Okay okay, so by "better" cables I meant more expensive but what I said still stands. Let tjobbins make his own mind up. Rather than simply listening to what people say, actually listen to different cables that may be more expensive and he may feel that they are justified.

I feel it is worth spending money on cables, its my decision and it makes me happy. I feel that the more expensive cables I have bought are better than cheaper ones I have had in the past.

16. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    I agree Cheapskate he should make his own mind up, but for example there is nothing wrong in discussing when/how/why speakers become classfied as “better”, ie at what level do you regard speakers cables as being expensive in the kit he is using above, its maybe worth mentioning that so he can demo cables at the levels you think.

PS very nice system you have there if I may say so.

17. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Obviously using some nice equipment so I think that it would be worth trying cables at up to £50 a metre because of the short runs involved but budget for decent termination. If it were me I dont think I would spend that much but there is no halm in having a demo, if you cant hear any difference by using an expensive cable in place of a £5pm cable then there is no difference!

Just to open another can of worms though I would budget for decent interconnects to the power amps because no doubt the runs there are probably fairly long. Again have a listen to different cables of the lengths you need - no point listening to shorter lengths because you may not appreciate the better shielding of a possibly more expensive cable over short runs.