1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reccomend me a Receiver (Please)

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by reidy, Aug 5, 2003.

1. reidy

reidy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I'm on the look out for a home cinema receiver (my first one!). This will be connected to both my DVD player (LG4950) and the CD Player (Phillips 753) so I'm looking for one that is suited to both film and music.

I'd also like DD, DTS, Pro-Logic II and ideally it will be black.

Budget is between £150 and £200 (I know I'm asking a lot for that price range...).

Can anyone give me some reccomendations?

TIA

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Have to put the Marantz 4200 at the top of your demo list. Try Richer Sounds for a good deal right now.

3. joust

joust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
  4. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    Hyperfi is some good deals on mostly ex display models.

Marantz SR-4300 (col not known) ex display - £150 (has 6channel amp, 10w more on each channel, DTS-ES, Neo6, DDEX and CSII, 192/24bit D/A conversion on all channels and a HDCD decoder compared with 4200) Have heard that members have found new 4300 from Richersounds for £199 as they are probably selling out their stocks.

Marantz SR-4200 black ex display - £150 (a 5channel amp, excellent with music and film, plenty of power, but has had bug problems) Richersounds probably do a similar deal here.

Yamaha RX-V440 black ex display - £150 (see further down)

Yamaha RX-V530 black ex display - £120 (like 430 but with a touch more inputs and a touch more power)

Yamaha RX-V630 black ex display - £200 (like 530 but with 6channel amp, more power, and some more DSP's and a touch more inputs)

Yamaha RX-V430 black £130 (5 channel amp, but pretty basic inputs, has won all mag tests in its class and many owners praises it for both film and music)

But the new Yamaha RX-V440RDS which is well specced for £227 at unbeatable.co.uk is IMO well worth the extra £48 over 430 (or if u don't mind the ex display mod for only £150), I know a touch over your budget. But you get 6channel amp for future expansion so you can enjoy DTS-ES and DDEX, A/B speaker selection, 2 sets of component inputs (again good for future use if you change your dvd player), lots of S-video inputs, proper speaker plugs for all channels, Yamaha's famous Cinema DSP programs, quality components, and the most important very good sound in films and a very good audio performer in the budget A/V level.

Finally Joust's SR5200 is also a great buy if you don't mind second hand.

Lots of choices here.

Wasabi.

5. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Trouble with hyperfi is it's hit and miss as to whether they've actually got anything in stock...

And it's even more hit & miss as to what condition the things they sell you are in...

My friend bought a sub/sat system from them which they assured him was brand-new, and when it arrived it was anything but.

I'd rather pay the extra than risk Hyperfi to be honest.

6. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    IC dimmy,

Well I hope then TIA considers a new Yammy 440 or check his local RS for any new amp deals.

Wasabi,