Reccomend HTPC Case

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by jaymz, Nov 2, 2005.

1. jaymz

jaymz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Can somebody reccomend a HTPC case with the following features;

Full size AV width
    External volume control (right hand side)
    VFD display
    Internal IR reciever
    Front panel AV (or under flap)
    Front panel media card reader and USB (or under flap)
    DVD drive (NOT under flap)

I have looked at silverstone LC16M (does not have media card reader or front AV) or Ahanix MCE302 (does not have external volume).

My current thoughts are to build a Pentium-M cpu ~1.8GHz 1GB RAM and a AOpen i915GMm-HFS motherboard its 7.1 audio and component out or similar motherboard.

2. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The LC16m has a 3 1/2 drive bay under the flap - you can remove the provided USB/firewire header and replace it with whatever you want - I have a 2xUSB+Card reader in mine

There's only one case I know of that has provision for (but no connectors supplied with the case), but this is mATX, and doesn't have voluem control

3. jaymz

jaymz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Thanks, thats good to know about the card reader.

I am correct LC16m has volume control?

What was the other case ( i have found a DFI 855 m'board which is mATX so i may go for that)?

4. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17,350
    Yes it has volume control through the knob on the front....It both turns with nice little nodges in it to do one bit at the time and also clicks to quickly mute....

As Skunkpipe said, the FP32 is just an 3.5" unit and easily replaced...You are probably after something like this iApp 10-in-1 USB2, Firewire, Audio-in, Audio-out, and all 8 media formats for a reader....The advantage compared to the included FP32 is that it only requires 2 USB headers, 1 Firewire header and 1 Front Audio port header....The FP32 has got a seperate cable for each of the ports which makes it a bit of a nightmare to hide the cables AND find enough headers as the VFD and volume knob also each need a header....

5. OneEleven

OneEleven

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I assume he's talking abouit the mediaPC.tv / CTL case. I have one, and it has the mounting for s-video, composite and left/right. These are blanked out though (see top left picture) , but if you supply the connectors youself they should fit fine.
    How are you going to connect to your TV/cature card - I see the Hauppauge has a connector on the top of the card - would this provide the necessary connections?