1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

reccomend female vocalists?

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by Pack Dude, Jan 6, 2003.

1. Pack Dude

Pack Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Hi,
    I am looking for some songs with a strong female vocal and simple music.
    Here are three examples of what i'm after.

Sarah McLaughlin In The Arms of an Angel
    Trisha Yearwood To Make You Feel My Love
    Shelby Lynne Tell Me I'm Crazy

Let me know if you can think of any others, it does not matter how old or what type.

thanks

BTW those three songs are worth a DL.

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. Pack Dude

Pack Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Thanks for the link I had missed that post.

I can think of many female vocalists but I am looking for good SONGS similar to those ones above.

Strong vocal simple music.

4. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't see the point of recommending specific songs.

If you like one song by an artist, then it makes sense to download other songs by the same artist as you'll probably like them, particularly songs from the same album as the one you've already heard.

You should look at what albums are available from the artists on somewhere like Amazon.co.uk or Amazon.com and then you can get track listings so you know what to download.

If you want similar artists so that you can then check out some songs by them, then the thread I posted is a good start, e.g. I recommended Tara McLean for those who like Sarah McLachlan.

Sounds like you just want to download a few best songs of each artist and burn these to CD, rather than downloading just to sample an artist's music to see if the album is worth buying. The former is very naughty.

5. Pack Dude

Pack Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Its hard to find a whole albums by mixed artists with say just piano and vocals similar to McLaughlin's song In The Arms of an Angel. I was hoping to find about 30 songs or so to chill out too.
    If I could afford to buy 300 CD'S for just 30 songs I would.

Thanks for thread link I am having a good look through it :)

6. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I see where you're coming from, but most of the tracks on Sarah McLachlan's "Surfacing" album are very much like that. It's a really fantastic album. Her "Fumbling Towards Ecstasy" album is another treat.

BTW, the song is just called "Angel" ;)

Try some stuff by Beverly Craven, some nice piano tracks and great female vocals there too.

Also, you might like Anita Baker's "Sweet Love" (it's a song, not an album). Lovely mellowness (though there are drums) and great for late nights. Oh, pianos feature prominently too :D

Mary Beth is another superb artist. Beautifully mellow and lovely piano work. Sadly, her CDs are hard to obtain so I had to buy some from Amazon.com (which always costs more than I would've liked) and one out of print one from eBay in the US. But you can download some of her MP3s for free from here:

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/260/mary_beth_maziarz.html

(It's legal too because the record company put them there :)).

Let me know what you think of them :)

7. Sgt.Colon

Sgt.Colon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is she still about? Last I knew of her was she went and got all pregenant and then never did anything else. I thought she was really good too.

8. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    She got pregnant, then released a 2nd album that was just as good as the first. I've not heard anything after that, though as soon as she releases something, I'll buy it 'cause she's great :) Did you mean after her 2nd album or did you not know about the 2nd album?

I used to fancy her something rotten, but she got a bit manky since popping the sprog :D

I just tried to search for her CDs at Amazon.co.uk and they're no listed so they must now be out of print. That's a real shame :( Good news for me though as it means mine are worth a bob or two :D

9. Sgt.Colon

Sgt.Colon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ROFLMAO. Yeah she was nice wasn't she. Lets hope she brings another album out.

10. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,267
  11. Pack Dude

Pack Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    thanks all
    i did downloaded the Mary Beth Maziarz stuff and out of all of them i liked "A More Perfect World" best, nice little song.

12. ukpete

ukpete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    here's another one.

try the last track on Lene Marlin's 'playing my game' album. I think the track is called 'a place nearby'. The only problem is that when I turn the volume up the bass makes my windows rattle,,,try it, you'll hear what I mean :)

13. cdm22

cdm22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Could always try Aimee Mann, probably most famous for the soundtrack from Magnolia. Anyway, the album Batchelor No2 is very good indeed!