Rebuilding Tubes

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by tryingtimes, May 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    I understand that Barco 808 tubes can be rebuilt in the US.
    Has anyone here had any experience of this?

How much does it cost and how long am I without my picture :(

Do I swap my tubes for rebuilt ones or do I send them off to get rebuilt.

Thanks in advance
    Alex

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,059
    As I understand it the deal is a form of exchange.They keep yours to re-work and you get someone elses rebuilt.

Roalnd is talking to VDC in the UK about this service. You may want to speak with him.

Gordon

3. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    From the 808 range Every thing but the Barcographics 808s tube can be rebuilt. (BD/BG808 and BD808s) the BG808s uses sony tubes.

Mostly they are on an exchange basis and just about all but Sony based tubes can be done. On the bigger 9" tubes you will almost certainly get your own tube back.

I have a lorry load on their way back from USA as we speak. I get through an average of 9 CRT tubes a week at the moment so I was pretty excited when this started up.

Price is about half the cost of new and the reports I have are good.

However there are a few danger areas.
    These tubes take longer to bed in than brand new ones. They are not quite as sharp and if they go wrong they have to go back to the states.

Replacing CRT's is fairly straight forwards but every so often you get a misbehaving one that screws everything up. When the vaccum is created in the tube somtimes tiny bits of "stuff" get loose and can cause an arc inside. The arc it self normally blasts the particle to kingdom come but it can take a while to settle completly. This arc normally cause the projector to shut down the EHT circuits momentatily or for bad ones completely. this is what is known as a "flashover". depending on how bad the flash is depends on what circuits get protected.

I have a projector currently with new tubes soaking. First the convergence board (list £1300) got fried, then the powersupply (£list 900) a day later.

There are 35,000volts on the end so I don't suggest its a DIY jobbie. Becasue of the above it's not really a task that can be done with the projector on the ceiling.

A new tube needs to soak for about 50-100hrs and I always make sure they have done 48hrs without a flash before I'm prepared to let them out the door.

I'm hoping to be able to keep the comon ones in stock.

4. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Thanks for the info guys.
    I had no idea it would be a 'pj off the ceiling job'.
    Just for reference whats the price of Brand New Barco Graphics 808 tubes?

5. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alex,

Do you need new tubes, or is this just a general enquiry for the future.

I sometimes get the idea it's almost as cheap to replace the pj than get 3 new tubes!

I think I read that 808 tubes were £1800 each or something, so £900 for the rebuilt ones brings them down to 7" prices!

Obviously if tubes go after 5 or 6 years of use then I'll be spending my pennies on a 1209! Or the latest DLP if they're any good by then!

Nick

6. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    It's just general info, Nick
    I'm having a baby in the next week or so and we're just deciding on a few things moneywise.
    I reckon at current usage I'll need to do something about the pj in 30 more months or so (we don't have a telly so tv and games also use the pj).
    I was just thinking out loud really!
    £2700 is still a lot of money.
    I wonder how good the fixed panel devices will be in 30 months?

7. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Barco's list price for BD808/BG808/BD808s is £1597.46 for just the tube.
    Same price for each colour.

8. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you're having a sprog you won't have much time for TV!
    It's be cheaper to buy a cheap TV and save the PJ for movies though.

I probably watch one or two films a week, 5 or 6 hours maximum usage, so if I have 4000 hours plus left I'm looking at a long time until I need a replacement.

I do want to get HC completely sorted though, Liz is starting to talk about babies and I want a 'refuge' if it does actually happen.

9. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Telly = clutter. Just say no
    I'll never have a surface-standing tv ever again.

I think you're right about not watching as much with a sprog though. At the moment it's on approx 15 hours a week.

Unfortunately our house doesn't allow for a 'refuge'. It's all so thin-walled and the stairs are in the living room.:rolleyes:

10. Matinee

Matinee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Oh, you'll still be watching 15 hours a week Alex, it's just that after the baby 7.5 hours of that will be teletubbies :)

7 foot lala? eh oh!

PK

11. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Actualy, that's another reason we got rid of the telly.
    We're not allowing our son/daughter to be entertained. They will have to entertain themselves with things around them and us.

No toys. No telly. No mobiles. No painted nursery. None of it.
    Really!
    Unfortunately I was brought up by being entertained all the time hence I have no self-motivation and need to have sevenfootfilm.:rolleyes:

12. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No painted nursery sounds a bit tight! Just plaster board?

An idea would be white walls and a load of felt tips, get the child to creat their own surroundings. Over the years things should evolve upwards and artistically!

No toys? You need toys to help create hand - eye coordination etc, also construction toys stimulate the mind. Playing is learning after all!

I have all this to come, I can't say I'm ready for parenthood and I'm 35 already!

I'll need a lock for the HC room door if we do get one!

Nick

13. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    This is soooo off topic but I'm sure nobody is reading except us two now so I don't suppose it matters.

Like it:D
    We're actually co-sleeping so our bedroom is thier bedroom :)

The thing with toys is their classification as toys. Obviously they'll (yes we're planning on more) be playing and no doubt with objects but we hope to distinguish between things that entertain and things that teach/interest.

Babies will play with anything. When they throw food on the floor, they're really learning gravity. Instead of telling them off we're going to show them something else that fits or expands on the same rules. eg. bounce a ball.

It actually makes potential parenthood a lot less of a nightmare. Eg The co-sleeping is meant to increase the childs comfort (no crying) therefore lessen a need for attention-seeking AND give us more sleep (no need to get up and no crying to wake up me :D)

I'm getting quite excited by the whole thing!

14. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well as a father of a two year old boy and thinking about a little brother or sister to keep him company all I can say is that reality is waiting for you just around the corner. I give you 12 months and you'll have a TV/Video combo in every room and a Early Learning Centre store card :D

But seriously, being a Dad is the most amazing thing that has ever happened to me and I cherish every moment with my son but being able to put a Teletubbies video on for 30 minutes while I get the washing up done is a Godsend. Books and magazines come up with all these grand ideas and philosophies but they fall to pieces in the real world. Toy's are a crucial part of a babies/childs first few years. From watching them gain hand/eye coordination by playing with mobiles to seeing my son make up whole new worlds when playing with his Lego it's all great stuff.

My son stopped in our bedroom until he was about 6-7 months old and then he went into his own room which he loves. He takes great pride in showing people his room and all the pictures/paintings he has done that are now stuck over ever available surface. He even has his own little PC that he likes to open up MS Word on and type in letters and numbers.

You mentioned that you would like more than one child. This is going to be very interesting when you have a pair of little eyes peering over the duvet asking "Daddy. What are you doing to Mummy? Is she cold and your trying to warm her up?" :D Having his own room has a lot of advantages.

But I'm sure it will all work itself out when you have your baby and I wish you all the happiness in the world. Just make sure you make the most of it because they really do grow up as fast as people say they do.

All the best

Dave

15. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Er going a bit off topic here perhaps.

16. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Cheers Dave
    I know that some of the ideas are probably unrealistic. But I'm all for learning as we go along.
    As Roland knows, Sara and I aren't exactly passive when it comes to big life decisions. E.g. we are vegan and don't cook our food (stands back and waits for the barrage of 'What!'s).
    Raw fruit and raw salad is our diet and magnificent it is too!

Anyway, as Roland says there are other bits of the forum for threads like this so maybe I'll start one up after the baby is here.

Take care
    Alex

17. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good one. Hope it all goes well.

I already have a baby, it's 70kg's and over a metre long and I only got it in November. It particularly likes hanging from the ceiling!

Alex, Do you not have an oven or microwave then? I find it quite intriguing.

Nick

18. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    We just junked the microwave.
    We've still got an oven but when the kitchen gets re-done it'll be out. We'll leave an oven-sized hole for the next occupants but we'll fill it with storage.
    Occasionally we have people 'round for a bbq and I sometimes have a bit of food from that but mostly we just create loads of salads and other raw recipies.

I'm trying to think of some websites but good ones are few and far between. My wife, Sara is working on one at the moment but the section that answers 'why raw' isn't live yet.

After the baby, I might start a couple of threads in off topic if anyone's interested.
    Have fun
    Alex

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.