Question Rebuilding Seperates system / NAD D3020 or Yamaha WXA50

Soundwave

Distinguished Member
So guys after the longest time now without a proper system I have decided it's time to start looking at rebuilding a Separates system.

For the last god knows how long I had been making do with my AV Amp & speakers to play music which was ok (Pioneer Amp & Monitor Audio MASS) but since we moved & SWMBO declared no more cables & umpteen speakers we downgraded to the Yamaha YSP2700 Soundbar which is pretty terrible for music (only just about useful for movies) & I rediscovered my CD collection recently which demands more use.

Anyway I need things to be small form factor as space will be an issue.
As such I have been looking at either...

NAD D3020
Yamaha Musicast WXA-50

Both do what I need but the Yam has the benefit of being Muscast same as my Soundbar (and eventually same as my Portable Garden speakers)
Both seem to be around the same price point

They will be fed a mixture of a CD player which in the interim will be my Toshiba HD-DVD Player fed by optical feed (this will be replaced by a dedicated CD Player eventually but as yet is still to be decided...possibly look to an old Cyrus to help with the small foot print) & Spotify/Musicast which will be fed from the wifes old LG G4 & eventually my LG G5 when I take my upgrade

Budget for the Amp will be around £400 which is why the NAD & YAM both fit the bill

Speakers are undecided & still need a lot of investigation due to potential space available

Sadly demo for me isn't really an option as I have nowhere local that sells both amps so I'm working on reviews & recommendations rather than my own ears...which admittedly are shot to all hell anyway ;) lol

So I'm just looking for advice from anyone who has any experience of them in daily use

Thanks in advance for any assistance it's greatly appreciated

Neil

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
If it helps the budget then I would stick with the DVD player for music seeing as you are using the optical output. Unless you are going to revert back to an analogue output from the disc reader then most CD/DVD/Blueray players used as a transport into the amp dac via optical will all perform pretty much the same at this level of hifi.

Also note Spotify on the Yamaha kit uses the Spotify connect system (need a premium account) and therefore is not "fed" by your phone, the phone effectively acts as a remote for the app inside the Yamaha amp that sucks the music directly from the internet. Therefore, there will be no difference in sound using the Yamaha Spotify app with different phones. Casting to the amps via Bluetooth is a different matter (which may be the case for the Nad).

There was a mention in another thread that the WXA50 may be being to be phased out as a number of shops have it on special at the moment, no idea if this is true but worth thinking about.

Hope this helps.

Soundwave

Distinguished Member
If it helps the budget then I would stick with the DVD player for music seeing as you are using the optical output. Unless you are going to revert back to an analogue output from the disc reader then most CD/DVD/Blueray players used as a transport into the amp dac via optical will all perform pretty much the same at this level of hifi.

Also note Spotify on the Yamaha kit uses the Spotify connect system (need a premium account) and therefore is not "fed" by your phone, the phone effectively acts as a remote for the app inside the Yamaha amp that sucks the music directly from the internet. Therefore, there will be no difference in sound using the Yamaha Spotify app with different phones. Casting to the amps via Bluetooth is a different matter (which may be the case for the Nad).

There was a mention in another thread that the WXA50 may be being to be phased out as a number of shops have it on special at the moment, no idea if this is true but worth thinking about.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the advice
Well the CD Player was only ever going to be fed by the Optical so if you think the DVD player will suffice then I'm more than happy to stick with that

Ah didn't realise that about spotify, I think I was assuming it took the feed from the Phone via Bluetooth which is why I thought the switch to my G5 would be better as it features APT X Bluetooth
Might be more for the NAD then because from what I read I think it only connects via Bluetooth for streaming duties

Thanks for the info on the WXA50 as I wasn't aware but might explain why many have it down around the £330 mark at the moment

Definitely a bit more food for thought, thanks again :)

Neil

xmb

You can still connect your phone via Bluetooth to the Yamaha. Given you already have a MusicCast speaker it makes sense to buy the Yamaha. Even if a new model is due soon the old one at the current discount makes it a great buy.

Sam Vimes

The suggestion that the WXA-50 is being discontinued is forum speculation. It may be correct, it may not be. So far, I've not seen any hint of it from Yamaha or anyone in the treade. However, I bought mine at £329 about a year ago, so the price means little in this regard.

As far as spotify goes I don't subscribe to it, but I can still use it. I use a PC on a bluetooth connection. I've never tried, but I'm sure that a phone or tablet could be used instead of a PC.

Soundwave

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the extra advice guys I appreciate it.

Think I'll definitely go for it...now to decide on the actual speakers to go with it ;)

Thanks again all

Neil

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
Does the compact size of the Yamaha WXA-50 appeal to you? Is that necessary?

With a £400 budget you can get a full-size full-features amp.

Yamaha RN602 Network Receiver, 80w/ch, DAC, Network Streaming, Bluetooth, Phono, Sub-Out, ... - £320 -

Yamaha R-N602

MusicCast R-N602 - Overview - Yamaha - UK and Ireland

This has 2xOptical, 2xCoaxial, and 1xUSB-Media DAC connections, Phono In, Sub Out, wired and wireless connections.

Just a thought.

Steve/bluewizard

Soundwave

Distinguished Member
Does the compact size of the Yamaha WXA-50 appeal to you? Is that necessary?

With a £400 budget you can get a full-size full-features amp.

Yamaha RN602 Network Receiver, 80w/ch, DAC, Network Streaming, Bluetooth, Phono, Sub-Out, ... - £320 -

Yamaha R-N602

MusicCast R-N602 - Overview - Yamaha - UK and Ireland

This has 2xOptical, 2xCoaxial, and 1xUSB-Media DAC connections, Phono In, Sub Out, wired and wireless connections.

Just a thought.

Steve/bluewizard
Sadly yes the size is the main factor & why I had selected either the Yamaha or the NAD as this is my current setup & amp has to fit on stand so size is important

Neil

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom