Rebuilding PC, it's been a while, advice needed.

KhalJimbo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey, so I'm about to embark on a rebuild of my PC from what is currently in my signature.

I built this rig 8 years ago and have only updated my graphics card since then 3 years ago. On some of the later games I am starting to see a lot of bottle necking now, for instance on Assassins Creed Origins on Ultra settings at 1080p I'm only getting a smidge over 30fps and my CPU\Memory utilisation is sitting at about 95% while my GPU is only clocking in at about 35% utilisation. I should be getting a lot more than that.

Anyway, so it's high time I embark on a rebuild. I'm going to keep my GPU as that is still fine to get me to 1440p gaming (will run an ultrawide 34" 1440p monitor, covers both working from home and gaming).

Will be looking to purchase bits hopefully during black friday sales.

This is what I have in my basket in the meantime:

Any other advice? On the main parts including cooling I don't want to spend more than about £650 - £700.

I was originally looking at one of these EK Waterblock cooling kits, specifically this one:

I thought a setup like that cooling kit might be a bit overkill since I only do light gaming nowadays a few nights a week now so I thought the Corsair cooler above is a good compromise.

On the coolers though, I'm guessing I still need a heat compound to apply between the water block and the CPU? Is a water cooling kit like the EK kit a better choice as I could eventually look at cooling my cards? Anything else I should maybe swap out and consider instead?

Any advice is appreciated.

Similar to my recent upgrade, I was on an Ivy i5 which was showing its age.

The Ryzen 3600 is a good choice. I'd pair it with something like the Tomahawk MAX if you wanted to save pennies (I have one myself). What storage do you have? SSDs?

As for cooling, the CPU will come with a free one (with thermal compound already applied). Up to you if you wanted to go with this, otherwise the Corsair above comes with compound too.

Yes, I have SSD's. A 256gb for the boot partition and the current installed game and then some spinning disks for the rest of the storage. I'll actually be getting two more 500gb SSD's one for a Steam partition and the other for Ubisoft\Origin. I'll take a look at the Tomahawk Max too.

Just added the Tomahawk Max board and it has dropped the price quite nicely!

I see that Tomahawk board supports the M2 storage which I've been hearing good things about recently.

Get a new PSU too , if that's 8 years old too , it's by time that gets changed ,

is the new rig , just going to be for gaming ?
the B450 MAX mobo as the OP has said , will be a better spend
nearly all mobo now come with M.2 storage .

Yeah, it's solely for gaming, it's been doing pretty well until the games from the last two years or so its been starting to creak.

Water cooling seems a bit overkill for the level of the system IMO. The temps will be down but you don't get much more performance out of the new Ryzen chips. I'd be using that money on a new GPU. If you use an air cooler instead of the AIO and sell your current gpu you could upgrade to a used vega 64, 1070(ti) or even go all out for a new RX 5700.

So I've been buying bits for this over black Friday. So far I've gone for

Corsair H100i RGB
Corsair Vengence 16gb (2x8gb) 3200mhz
Corsair MP510 240gb NVMe M.2
Corsair RM850 PSU
Corsair iCUE 465X RGB Case

Still to order is a:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600
MSI X570 Gaming Pro Carbon

Went with the X570 board instead since I wanted to get a latest gen for once, future proof a bit more really.

In terms of GPU I am stuck. I currently run a Sapphire RX480 Nitro+ 8GB and I'm tempted to get a second one to run in XFire mode. Has anyone else run stuff in XFire or should I just wait until bonus time and get a Radeon VII?

In terms of GPU I am stuck. I currently run a Sapphire RX480 Nitro+ 8GB and I'm tempted to get a second one to run in XFire mode. Has anyone else run stuff in XFire or should I just wait until bonus time and get a Radeon VII?

Very few games support XFire these days so I wouldn't go down that route. The 5700XT is almost as good as the Radeon VII for gaming for way less money. Pick up a nice Red Devil or Sapphire Nitro if you want to splash the cash :smashin:

Water cooling seems a bit overkill for the level of the system IMO. The temps will be down but you don't get much more performance out of the new Ryzen chips. I'd be using that money on a new GPU. If you use an air cooler instead of the AIO and sell your current gpu you could upgrade to a used vega 64, 1070(ti) or even go all out for a new RX 5700.
My Ryzen is water cooled. No extra performance but zero noise as it doesn't hit the temps to kick in the fans. Same with the GPU
However, my whole setup cost about £40. I used my old pump, radiator and resevoir. My block was £17 from Amazon. The rest was new tubing and compression fittings.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom