Rebuilding my setup from nearly scratch - need advice

JGav

Novice Member
So I've got a media unit built into my lounge and the largest screen it will take is 50" yes I know it's small compared to most of you.

Current setup
46" HD LED Samsung which I was given a year ago.
Receiver 10 year old Yamaha HTR3063
Fronts Q Acoustic Q3010
Centre Q3090c
Rears the small Yamaha speakers which came with my amp

Looking for
4k TV
Suitable receiver
I use a 4k Firestick as my main source and want to future proof.

My biggest decision is if I get the media unit altered by taking out a row of cupboards. That will dictate the biggest size screen. Also need to think about control because stuff is underneath behind doors.

Need advice and where to start. I've read about height speakers and can't decide if they're a fad or if it's worth putting a couple of ceiling speakers in. Are my fronts worth keeping, no idea about rears, though at least the wires are already there.

20210812_193804.jpg

Dodgexander

Someone posted a deal the other day for the 48" LG CX OLED for less than 1k. That's your best bet if you want to future proof the most.
Otherwise there's the Sony XH9505 at 49", it unlike the LG doesn't have HDMI 2.1 ports. That doesn't really matter though if you aren't a gamer.

I don't know much about which receivers are best, but you can buy ones with 5.1.2 or 5.1.4 configurations depending on how many atmos ceiling or height speakers you want. Its definitely worth thinking about ceiling speakers...but I will say it does depend a lot on what you watch. If you watch many films and have plans to also watch UHD Blu-Rays then you'll get the most out of an atmos setup. Not so much if you are streaming where a lot of content is still 5.1, and if it does have atmos audio its lower quality.

JGav

Novice Member
Thanks and good point about the sources not having the full sound tracks built in, hadn't realised that. Couldn't find that deal thread you mentioned but I do like the look of that TV so will hunt around.

I'm looking at the space and now trying to persuade my wife that because we like the media unit that we could keep it and a smaller TV but with a projector and screen to come down in front for movie nights. Things to think about.

Given that at this point, I could hold off on adding extra speakers, and/or get a PS5 needing 4k/120 I could go down the ebay route and get a receiver a couple of years ago and it would be a decent upgrade. As long as it can pass through 4k/60 and has ARC I'd be pretty pleased.

vickster

Distinguished Member
Thanks and good point about the sources not having the full sound tracks built in, hadn't realised that. Couldn't find that deal thread you mentioned but I do like the look of that TV so will hunt around.

I'm looking at the space and now trying to persuade my wife that because we like the media unit that we could keep it and a smaller TV but with a projector and screen to come down in front for movie nights. Things to think about.

Given that at this point, I could hold off on adding extra speakers, and/or get a PS5 needing 4k/120 I could go down the ebay route and get a receiver a couple of years ago and it would be a decent upgrade. As long as it can pass through 4k/60 and has ARC I'd be pretty pleased.
There’s a Richer Sounds deal for VIP members (free membership), just call their telesales team to ask. This from the email I got the other day.

Attachments

• E71BAC8D-471B-4F75-A4EA-D5649386F5FC.jpeg
    E71BAC8D-471B-4F75-A4EA-D5649386F5FC.jpeg
    681.8 KB · Views: 43

Dodgexander

Here's the CX:

Between 2020 and 2021 models the lineup compares a bit like this:

LG A1 = New model, lower spec with 60hz panel.
LG B1 = The new BX.
LG C1 = The new CX.

So its normal, because of heightened release prices to see 2021 models more expensive. Although I'd say the deal selling the CX for less than a thousand is rare, snap it up while you still can.

JGav

Novice Member
There’s a Richer Sounds deal for VIP members (free membership), just call their telesales team to ask. This from the email I got the other day.
Thanks, can see that one on their website now.

I've heard that they are price matching some other websites on the CX (2020 model) bringing it under £950 and now considering ordering it asap or whether I should hold out to Black Friday in a couple of month.

vickster

Distinguished Member
Not if you want that TV at that price. Stocks of new will sell out before and the new models won’t be that low that soon in all probability.

Costco do 3 months no quibble returns if you wait until September. I don’t know whether they do BF deals tho

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom