Rebuilding HTPC-Advice Needed

newcomers

Hey,

I currently have an antec fusion with a Gigabyte GA-F2A75M-HD2 A75 motherboard and a AMD A6 5400K CPU. Currently has 4gb ram.

The HTPC has 2 hdd (1tb + 2tb) which has all of our Blu rays / tv shows / pics etc and these are both now 90%+ full. Originally we only ran XBMC (connected to my denon av receiver), but now it also runs plex which servers 2 ipads, 2 phones and a 2 tv's (1 of which is on a remote network from the server).

Im not sure whether its the hdd's that are shot or whether its the strain on the system because of plex, but the whole system is getting real slow, so ive decided to upgrade.

Would the below components be ok? I would still need the htpc to playback 1080p as it is connected to the denon receiver which then connects to the tv. Would the below spec be up to supporting plex transcodes and also be ok playing 1080p 5.1 HD surround sound?

MSI H87M-E33 Socket 1150 VGA HDMI 8 Channel Audio mATX Motherboard

Intel Core i5 4570S 2.90GHz Socket 1150 6MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor

Crucial CT51264BA160BJ 4GB DDR3 1600 MT/s (PC3-12800) CL11 Unbuffered UDIMM 240pin Single Ranked x 2

JonMace

what happens if you just use it as a server and not try to use it as a player at the same time?

i.e. watch from an ipad.

if that works fine then it may be cheaper and easier to leave the pc as it is and get a Pi2 to be the player

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B Update, B&W Panorama 3 & Q Acoustics Reviews, HDR PQ EOTF/Gamma Calibration Discussion
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom