Rebellion in Hong Kong

Trollslayer

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
I'd like to think that democracy and self determination will prevail, but it won't. Those protesters are ****ed.

Hong Kong is now no longer economically important enough to China for them to look the other way and pay lip service to the two systems.

This only ends one way and it's whichever way the CPC wants it to.

I wish I could disagree :confused:

Hopefully she doesn’t end up being disappeared by Chinese authorities, like the Tank Man of Tiananmen Square.

isabella steger on Twitter
an old woman placed herself between protesters and police in Yuen Long yesterday and told the protesters to leave, and said that she wouldn't leave if they didn't leave h/t @charlesmok hk01.com/18%E5%8D%80%E6…
upload_2019-7-28_23-49-56.png

Laurel Chor on Twitter
I got this shot of her yesterday. She was furious and fearless. (@GettyImages)
upload_2019-7-28_23-50-34.jpeg

It's not looking good for Hong Kong at the moment :(

The attack by the white tops was pretty abhorrent, and a blatant stand down by the police whilst it happened too. With the media there more interested in criticising some bits of paint on a wall also.

Wonder what the CPC end game is here.

Obviously they can press the nuclear button and call in the troops but that's doesn't play well from a PR point of view. Failing that, I'm not sure how they put the lid back on this.

If you're authoritarian, you can only solve problems with more control. They can't back off and allow more democracy, so I think it's just a matter of time until the Chinese army are mobilised.

At that point, the whole two systems thing is over. The UK will roll over and say nothing, and the people of Hong Kong will be hung out to dry by the international community.

Yeah I don't feel it's going to end well at all, especially if as being reported the protestors are planning on ramping up their action for the next protests. It's kind of playing into their hands and giving them the authority to then come down hard.

Plus given where we are right now, no chance we'll be intervening.

I think you're right. China is biding its time waiting for frustration to boil over into overt violence at which point they can point to the Croydon Riots or the St Louis riots and say, "well the West does the same", and get a pass on shutting down the riots.

It's an impossible situation because the CPC have already demonstrated to the people of Hong Kong that neither voting or peaceful protest achieves anything, so what other option is open to them?

They don't have any options, that's the cruelty of it.

They could keep to the agreements made in the past.

I am sure most people have seen the news and are aware of the stepping up of the protests.

Sadly it now looks like this will only end one way. And it's not going to be very pretty, especially with the Chinese labelling the protests as terrorism. It's clear they believe they are now justified to act with whatever force they deem necessary.

I suspect this was the objective.
Any Hong Kong citizen arrested and taken to mainland China is unlikely to be seen again. Not alive anyway.

Yup, with this massive convoy of troop carriers heading towards Hong Kong it looks like the Communist Party aren’t going to tolerate dissent for much longer.

The only tiny positive thing to come from this is that Taiwan will see that China's promises of compromise and concession are bull-shine and cannot be trusted. This makes future Taiwanese integration far less likely. That's good for Taiwan.

I think at this point all the UK can do is offer British Nationality to Hong Kong citizens and the protections that all British citizens enjoy.

Hong Kong as we know it and its citizens know it is over. This is a fight they cannot win. It will be thoroughly depressing watching many of them fight to their deaths.

Last edited:
Look at what China has done to the Uigurs, they are simply being deleted.
Then there is the takeover of the South China Sea.

They are destroying their own country and attacking anyone that have different views. Have you seen the videos of them attacking old people or anyone that disagrees with them or tells them to stop vandalising property?

All Western media do is report about Police brutality, but the reality is, it isn't a peaceful protest anymore and this rebellion deserves everything they get.

They need to be put down like a rabid dog.

And anyone who is extradited to the mainland won't be seen again.

They are destroying their own country and attacking anyone that have different views. Have you seen the videos of them attacking old people or anyone that disagrees with them or tells them to stop vandalising property?

All Western media do is report about Police brutality, but the reality is, it isn't a peaceful protest anymore and this rebellion deserves everything they get.

They need to be put down like a rabid dog

You were close to making a fair point, then spouted this.

What you're seeing is also what the media are reporting on now, the most sensationalist element. As that's what the media does.

There are still plenty peacefully protesting and not attacking anyone. As with many a protest, sooner or later a more extreme fringe will infiltrate.

I certainly wouldn't condone the attacking of anyone innocent from either side.

You were close to making a fair point, then spouted this.

What you're seeing is also what the media are reporting on now, the most sensationalist element. As that's what the media does.

There are still plenty peacefully protesting and not attacking anyone. As with many a protest, sooner or later a more extreme fringe will infiltrate.

I certainly wouldn't condone the attacking of anyone innocent from either side.

So why do the Western
media not show videos of the violent protesters attacking innocents?

Peaceful protesting is fine, but when they are dressed up in riot gear and actively looking for people to attack I have no sympathy if they get put down and these are the protesters I'm referring to.

It's laughable that they want democracy, but if anyone disagrees with them they beat the crap out of them.

And anyone who is extradited to the mainland won't be seen again.

Bill or no bill. China do that already. It's not right, but what can we do, but does that mean you can go round trashing the country and beating up anyone with opposing views?

They need to be put down like a rabid dog.
There is no non violent means of change available.

They cannot vote for change

They cannot legislate or use the law to bring about change

Peaceful protest has done nothing for months.

Do you suggest they just go home and accept their fate?

The violence is necessary because there is no means of non violent self determination left.

It is now a fight to the death for Hong Kong as it is, and for the way of life than Hong Kong citizens have enjoyed their whole lives.

I can't help but feel that the protesters are walking a tightrope that's getting thinner. If it wasn't for the fact that Hong Kong is a financial and tourist centre, China would be coming down harder.

If and when China tighten its grip, HKers will need outside support. I hope they get it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom