Reavon UBR-X100 and UBR-X200 Ultra HD Blu-ray Players

k-spin

These popped up in passing in a "recommend me a UHD Blu-ray player" thread but thought they probably deserved one of their own.

There's currently not a lot of information on the manufacturer's website but you can sign up for notification of when they will be available: REAVON

Full specs for the UBR-X200 (can't find a page for the X100 atm): Reavon UBR-X200 | REAVON

Found some information on a German AV Shop's website. There are two models:

Reavon UBR-X100 for € 799.00

Reavon UBR-X200 for € 1,599.00

And they are stating they should be available in April 2021.

k-spin

They look identical from the front:

1614440206402.png

1614440224902.png

Rear view of the UBR-X200 shows the analogue connections:
1614440299660.png

gibbsy

Interesting. It looks as though they are going after the Pioneer LX500/800 range with SACD and DVD-A playback. Most welcome. No HDR10+ though. Perhaps they are rebranded Pioneers with different DACs as they have been waiting for over two years now for a 10+ firmware upgrade. Weight is not far off.

Interesting. It looks as though they are going after the Pioneer LX500/800 range with SACD and DVD-A playback. Most welcome. No HDR10+ though. Perhaps they are rebranded Pioneers with different DACs as they have been waiting for over two years now for a 10+ firmware upgrade. Weight is not far off.
I still think they look more like the Panasonic UB9000 :p

TarPot

Add a multi-region mod for Blu-Ray and we're onto a winner by the looks of it.

kungfuman

I would consider it if it has force DV LLDV mapping and also stretch zoom mode for use with anamorphic lens. The Oppo's are the only players that have both of these I believe.

Stridsvognen

Will be exiting to see if its based on the same Mediatek platform as the OPPO and Pioneer, or if its all its own, lets hope for the later, would be a bit boring with yet a player with chroma alignment issues and poor chroma upsampling.

oniiz86

Will be exiting to see if its based on the same Mediatek platform as the OPPO and Pioneer, or if its all its own, lets hope for the later, would be a bit boring with yet a player with chroma alignment issues and poor chroma upsampling.

It looks to be based on the Pioneer LX500/LX800 players judging by the Media & HDR information screens, could be utilising the MediaTek MT8581 SoC chipset but hopefully Reavon will support it well enough with firmware updates into the future & hopefully will not suffer from a couple of annoying Pioneer player bugs like flagging 4K SDR BT709 incorrectly at 8bit instead of 10bit, the OPPO 203/205 players suffered from this initially upon release but thankfully they rectified this quirk later on during the first year of its life cycle.

Last edited:

Stridsvognen

It looks to be based on the Pioneer LX500/LX800 players judging by the Media & HDR information screens, could be utlising the MediaTek MT8551 SoC chipset but hopefully Reavon will support it well enough with firmware updates into the future & hopefully will not suffer from a couple of annoying Pioneer player bugs like flagging 4K SDR BT709 incorrectly at 8bit instead of 10bit, the OPPO 203/205 players suffered from this initially upon release but thankfully they rectified this quirk later on during the first year of its life cycle.
The Pioneer players Mediatek chipset/ platform is the same as the OPPOjust poorly implemented, nobody need more of that, also that Mediatek platform has some obvious limitations that would be nice to put behind us, i just think the problem is there is no demand for new chipsets, so nobody want to develope them, its just scary that the chipset used in a old OPPO 83 is significantly better at 1080P playback than all the other players that followed, non of the 4K UHD players have the same high quality 1080P capabilities, there is always something like chroma allignmant, bandwidth or upsampling issues of some sort in all the players on the market today.

thedude

Distinguished Member
I was just coming to post about this as I saw this, this morning. They look like oppo rip offs or clones.
Probably get more traction if they said they were

Stridsvognen

I was just coming to post about this as I saw this, this morning. They look like oppo rip offs or clones.
Probably get more traction if they said they were
I dont think you can look at it like that, OPPO is oppo, they build players based on a Mediatek platform, so did many others, what defined OPPO was the firmware and continued support, right untill they pulled the plug.

So OPPO was just another Mediatek ripoff, Cambridge was another, Pionner the last one as far as i know, now its likely that the Reavon is joining.

thedude

Distinguished Member
Im sure i can look it at like that

stblob

Sounds like another Oppo in the making, sell so called high end player and then end all support. Hilarious.

thedude

Distinguished Member
St least the big boys are still around. Where's Oppo? That's right, in the graveyard. Come and go.
Oppo are still about. They didn't die.

Stridsvognen

I think OPPO made a smart move, they realized they would have to spent significant recourses keeping up with the HDR format flux for many years to come, still today there is no player that properly play all formats, the interaction between players and displays are getting significantly more complex, HDMI EDIT, HDCP, DTM and so on.

I would love a proper, no BS UHD player, both the OPPO 203, Panasonic UB 9000 and Pioneer LX500 are medium to low quality players with different strengths and weaknesses. The OPPO 203 was likely the best considering its flexibility, dual HDMI in and external HDD file playback capabilities, the Player i would chose for 4K or 1080P upscaled to 4K playback, but not if i need a player to feed a 1080P projector with 1080P blu ray source material.

So lets see what Reavon is going to bring to the table before we shoot them down.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Netflix UK for November 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
PrimaLuna debuts Evo 300 Hybrid integrated amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Astell&Kern announces AK ZERO1 in ear monitor
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
McIntosh launches MI1250 power amplifier