Reavon UBR-X100 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player Review & Comments

There's another player out now, or coming out, that looks like a Pioneer LX500 clone, as well...

Edit: I see it's being discussed in its own thread here.

Steve, thanks for taking the time to do such reviews.
I love the fact that the Reavon UBR-X100 is about as close to the Oppo UDP-203 as one can get. I'm trilled that they incorporated the A-B Repeat and Zoom function into this unit, few do these days. This unit may very well be the replacement for my problematic Oppo's if I can just find out a couple more details.
I'm assuming that you no longer have access to the unit, that it was just a loaner to do a review???
Well, maybe you can still help me. I read all the info I could find, but I'm still missing the little details. I have five questions that would best be asked of someone who actually used the equipment.
(1) Do you remember if the OSD can be completely turned off (as was possible with the Oppo)? In other words, when viewing a A-B repeat loop, are the letters AB stuck on the screen and on the persons face like a tattoo.
(2) Do you remember if Zooming can be shifted by using the up/down and right/left arrow keys to center the subject (as was possible with Oppo)?
(3) This one you probably never even thought of trying, but I'll ask. It's an easy way to learn guitar solos which are usually happening pretty fast. You just setup a loop of a live guitar solo on video, set the slow motion rate and let it play over and over again while you watch which notes are being played and play along with it. Eventually, your playing it at normal speed. So, do you know if A-B Repeat and Slow Motion work together in tandem? What I mean is will the unit hold the slow motion speed when the A-B Repeat loop ends and then starts over again from Point (A) or will it automatically revert back to normal speed. If it doesn't hold slow motion it's a real pain in the A becasue your holding the guitar with two hands and you have to keep grabbing the remote to set the slow motion rate all over again. This was possible with the Oppo, but only with two file types, MKV and Webm which worked out perfectly because when downloading videos from Youtube they are in the MKV format.
(4) Do you know what the HDD size limit is for connecting by USB? I used a 3TB MYBOOK drive with the Oppo, but some players support 4TB and some only 2TB.
(5) Last, but not least. You mentioned some of the supported formats, but where can I find the complete list, they are not listed in specs or anywhere else that I was able to find?

Thanks for all your time Steve,

Bruce

Last edited:
Steve, thanks for taking the time to do such reviews.
I own two of the Oppo UDP-203 and both are somehow broken. After installing firmware update UDP20X-60-0625 and or UDP20X-56-0224 they are somehow sending out a bad HDMI signal that is tripping the circuits in the HDMI input on every TV that I connect them to. (another member here explained it as a illegal HDMI format that trips the HDMI circuit in the TV preventing it from excepting any further signals correctly) I still get a picture, but it looks like the 4K TV's are displaying in washed out, 1080 resolution with the sharpness turned all the way down. I had to return the last four new TV's that I bought. I called support about the last TV and they sent me a firmware update which brought the TV back to life. However, as soon as I connected the Oppo and used it for about a half hour everything turned to crap again. When this happens the TV stays in this condition even though I disconnect the Oppo and throw it in the closet in disgust. I was told by a member to fix it all I had to do was turn off the power, unplug the TV from the outlet and then press and hold in the power button for a couple seconds to drain any residual energy and that would reset the HDMI circuits, but it didn't seem to work for me so I returned the TV. I think it has something to do with whenever I'm watching 50i or 60i content I always change the resolution to match. This always gave me better picture quality instead of leaving it set to auto and letting it be upscaled to 2160 Progressive. I also though it might be from changing the resolution during playback, but Oppo CS said it's okay to do.
I've been reading a lot of 4K player user manuals in search of a new player and sometimes come across this statement, "When this unit is connected to a TV that supports Dolby Vision, the resolution can only be set to [Auto] or [2160p]" Auto and 2160p are the same thing on the Oppo. This leads me to believe that there is some compatibility issue between interlace and Dolby Vision and maybe firmware update UDP20X-56-0224 or UDP20X-60-0625 which were focused on Dolby Vision is causing the problem.
Anyyyyyyyway, back to finding a new player. I love the fact that the Reavon UBR-X100 is about as close to the Oppo UDP-203 as one can get. I'm trilled that they incorporated the A-B Repeat and Zoom function into this unit, few do these days. This unit may very well be the replacement for my Oppo's if I can just find out a couple more details before pulling the trigger.
I'm assuming that you no longer have access to the unit, that it was just a loaner to do a review???
Well, maybe you can still help me. I read all the info I could find, but I'm still missing the little details. I have five questions that would best be asked of someone who actually used the equipment.
(1) Do you remember if the OSD can be completely turned off (as was possible with the Oppo)? In other words, when viewing a A-B repeat loop, are the letters AB stuck on the screen and on the persons face like a tattoo.
(2) Do you remember if Zooming can be shifted by using the up/down and right/left arrow keys to center the subject (as was possible with Oppo)?
(3) This one you probably never even thought of trying, but I'll ask. It's an easy way to learn guitar solos which are usually happening pretty fast. You just setup a loop of a live guitar solo on video, set the slow motion rate and let it play over and over again while you watch which notes are being played and play along with it. Eventually, your playing it at normal speed. So, do you know if A-B Repeat and Slow Motion work together in tandem? What I mean is will the unit hold the slow motion speed when the A-B Repeat loop ends and then starts over again from Point (A) or will it automatically revert back to normal speed. If it doesn't hold it's a real pain in the A becasue your holding the guitar with two hands and you have to keep grabbing the remote to set the slow motion rate all over again. This was possible with the Oppo, but only with two file types, MKV and Webm which worked out perfectly because when downloading videos from Youtube they are in the MKV format.
(4) Do you know what the HDD size limit is for connecting by USB? I used a 3TB MYBOOK drive with the Oppo, but some players support 4TB and some only 2TB.
(5) Last, but not least. You mentioned some of the supported formats, but where can I find the complete list, they are not listed in specs or anywhere else that I was able to find?

Sorry, I know it was a lot to read and by all means take your time getting back to me or you can just direct me to someone else that might know.
Thanks for your time Steve,

Bruce

Bruce,

You are using old firmware. The latest UK / European production firmware for the Oppo 203/205 is:

UPD20XEU-65-0131 (22 February 2019):

In the US, the latest production firmware is the same level:

I don't know if there are any actual differences between the US and UK / European firmware. I would advise you to use the version from the correct territory.

Please try:

1) Factory reset your Oppos.

2) Apply the latest firmware

3) Factory reset your Oppos

Note: You MUST do a full reset after applying new firmware.

If you Oppo won't update over the Internet, use the Thumb Drive method - you can download .BIN files directly for the Oppo sites.

If you have any problem applying the latest firmware, Oppo recommends installing UDP20XEU-42-0329 first. Oppo still provides support for the 203 and 205.

Regards,
James.

Last edited:
I love the fact that the Reavon UBR-X100 is about as close to the Oppo UDP-203 as one can get.
Maybe right at this very second (though some would argue the Panasonic DP-UB9000, aside from missing functionality features compared to the Oppos, are as close as you're gonna get right now based on build quality, aesthetics and internals), but in reality, THIS was as close to the 203 that you could get...
g779CXUHD-F.jpg

1638388222911.jpeg

I love the fact that the Reavon UBR-X100 is about as close to the Oppo UDP-203 as one can get.
.............but in reality, THIS was as close to the 203 that you could get...
g779CXUHD-F.jpg
Given that the Reavon UBR-X100 and the Cambridge CXUHD are both 'digital output' only players, they have more in common with each other than the OPPO UDP-203, which offers multi-channel analogue outputs!

Out of interest... Have Reavon got 'lossless' DVD-Audio disc playback working yet?

Given that the Reavon UBR-X100 and the Cambridge CXUHD are both 'digital output' only players, they have more in common with each other than the OPPO UDP-203, which offers multi-channel analogue outputs!
Yes -- from that perspective, they are similar (just being transports, for all intents and purposes). But the CXUHD is almost literally a 203 -- the menus are the same, the features are the same (save for some analog adjustments that can be made in the Oppo) and performance is similar (from what I have been told by 203 owners; I have a CXUHD and used it for some time, so I have experience with it....I compared notes shared with me by Oppo owners). The remotes are distinctly different, however, with the Cambridge's remote not being able to hold a candle to the excellent UDP-203's clicker.

image.php

image.php

In all fairness, to my eyes at least, the 203's remote is actually closer to the look and feel of Panasonic's UB9000...

s-l400.jpg

They even share the same white backlight scheme.

Out of interest... Have Reavon got 'lossless' DVD-Audio disc playback working yet?
No, Reavon's latest firmware that was meant to enable the lossless "mlp" side of DVD-A has proven to be problematic & not functioning properly at all, the firmware was first released on the X100 than around 2 weeks later on the X200 but now both players suffer from some instability due to this update, it's disappointing indeed that Reavon seem to be having a difficult time trying to get a handle on this with effective results.

Thinking of ordering the Reavon UBR-X100 tomorrow to replace my ub820.
The ub820 has started freezing when playing movies and this player is the next one up.
I’ve thought about Sony’s but having to enable Dolby vision every time I watch something would annoy me.
Have many people bought the x100 yet?

Thinking of ordering the Reavon UBR-X100 tomorrow to replace my ub820.
The ub820 has started freezing when playing movies and this player is the next one up.
I’ve thought about Sony’s but having to enable Dolby vision every time I watch something would annoy me.
Have many people bought the x100 yet?
Have you considered a UB9000, or are you completely over Panasonic?

Don't know if this has been asked but will the reavon ubr-x100 play 4k MKV files with DD+ atmos just like the oppo.

All this talk of what is or isn't inside is immaterial isn't it? If the image you see is colour and picture accurate, then what does it matter how it's achieved.

I have the X100 and I can tell you, coming from a UB820, I am very happy with my investment and the upgrade. I wouldn't dream of opening it up to see what's inside as I couldn't give two hoots. I'm only concerned with what's presented before me when I hit play.

I do find myself fighting with my better 'arf nearly nightly as she tries to stick her Mamma Mia disc in "just to see how it compares to your last box". Sooner or later she will beat my resistance, if she has something I want, then the Reavon will be tainted forever by the experience of having to play James Bond (Brosnan) bloody singing.

Thank you for your review @Steve Withers .
I have the Pana 820, how do they compare, my only gripe with the 820 is I sometimes have to reset the player because it leaves the menus on when I’ve paused the disc.

I have the Pana 820, how do they compare

I've the same Panasonic player, better performance than these "chinese" players and not any issues until now.
I also had and sold, many years ago, the most famous Oppo UDP-203.

Apparently, this "new" model from Reavon will differ from the other models only by offering SACD playback...
That... And it will cost between 150 to 200 Euros more than the existing UBR-X100!

Oh... And lets not forget that (at the time of writing), 'lossless' DVD-Audio disc playback is still not working on the current players!

Last edited:
That... And it will cost between 150 to 200 Euros more than the existing UBR-X100!

Oh... And lets not forget that 'lossless' DVD-Audio disc playback is still not working on the current players!
So is this essentially supposed to bridge the gap between the 100 and 200?

What is this new X110 all about? did they find a way to reduce the size of the power supply?
20220303_184553.jpg

It has SACD support, previous version didn't. Which is why they are highlighting that.

What is this new X110 all about? did they find a way to reduce the size of the power supply?View attachment 1662493
This is the first you're hearing about this model?

At any rate, yeah, it's a real head-scratcher; maybe a gap-filler that adds some features, like tenga mentioned...

Does anyone happen to know if any of these Reavon players play DVD-A discs created at home by burning onto DVD+/-R media? I have a fair few of these that I've created from hi-res FLAC downloads as I prefer the DAC in my old Oppo BDP-83 to that inside my Denon AVR. My Sony x800, which is one of the few 'normal' players out there that support DVD-A at all, doesn't recognise my home-burned discs - another reason why I'm keeping the Oppo on at the moment!

Hi how do you enable multi region blu ray on the x100?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom