Reavon UBR-X100 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player Review & Comments

Nice review Steve. Good to see a new UHD player hit the market!

Does the player auto-detect Dolby Vision like the Panasonic or does it need to be manually selected like the Sony players?

Can you set it to output specific audio formats such as multichannel PCM? For instance, for soundbars that support Dolby Atmos but not DTS-X/DTS-HD (read Sonos), can you set it to always output DTS tracks as multichannel PCM?

You've said "Of course, one player should be the same as another when outputting a digital signal – as long as the signal isn’t being manipulated.". Yet I've read reviews saying the Xbox Series X and PS5 UHD players (build, interface and lack of Dolby Vision aside) do not produce as good a picture as a stand alone player. How many UHD players are manipulating the signal?

Thank you for the review and good news to see something new in this market.

I don't think the wi-fi should be an issue. I'd think that people with £700 to spend on a player would have a setup proficient enough for direct cable network connections.

Even for my "very low end" AV setup, my £50 2nd hand 4k BR player is plugged in :)

Does this player auto-resume on all discs? My Panny 820 doesn't and it's rather annoying. Some discs auto-resume, but Game of Thrones for example didn't and involved a lot of faffing on a lot of discs!

Does this player auto-resume on all discs? My Panny 820 doesn't and it's rather annoying. Some discs auto-resume, but Game of Thrones for example didn't and involved a lot of faffing on a lot of discs!
Is this not a disc issue rather than a player issue? I've read that it's usually determined by how the disc is authored which is the decision of the studio releasing it.

The Reavon UHD players have an auto-resume disc function, even when the player is switched off.

Is this not a disc issue rather than a player issue? I've read that it's usually determined by how the disc is authored which is the decision of the studio releasing it.
It might be. Don't see why though. The player knows where it's up to when it stops. Daft decision either way, unless (conspiracy alert) a further nudge towards streaming.

Why do the X100 get a 10 in build quality? And the OPPO 203 got 9? could you specify why this super flimsy Reavon is better build than the OPPO please.

Blimey, what it is this rare beast? A new UHD player? It’s been a while! :eek:

Why do the X100 get a 10 in build quality? And the OPPO 203 got 9? could you specify why this super flimsy Reavon is better build than the OPPO please.
Oppo 203 review - The disc mechanism is smooth and despite some owners complaining that their players are noisy, our review sample was nearly silent in operation. The UDP-203 measures 430 x 311 x 79mm (WxDxH) and weighs in at 4.3kg.

Reavon X100 review - The 1.6mm-thick chassis base is reinforced with a 3mm-thick steel plate rigid under base to minimise the mechanical motion sound from the disc drive. The result is significantly lower noise, and a more rigid and stable chassis structure. The X100 measures 430 x 300 x 85mm (WxDxH) and weighs a hefty 6.2kg.

Not sure that qualifies the Reavon as super flimsy in comparison to the Oppo.

From Oppo 203 review - The disc mechanism is smooth and despite some owners complaining that their players are noisy, our review sample was nearly silent in operation. The UDP-203 measures 430 x 311 x 79mm (WxDxH) and weighs in at 4.3kg.
From Reavon X100 review - The 1.6mm-thick chassis base is reinforced with a 3mm-thick steel plate rigid under base to minimise the mechanical motion sound from the disc drive. The result is significantly lower noise, and a more rigid and stable chassis structure. The X100 measures 430 x 300 x 85mm (WxDxH) and weighs a hefty 6.2kg.
So what your saying is if you put a brig in a box the product gets better?

Reavon X100 Steve Wither give this a 10 in build quality
Reavon-UBR-X100-Analog.jpg

OPPO 203 Steve Wither give this a 9 in build quality
OPPO-UDP-203_2.png

Last edited:

Reavon X100View attachment 1582591

OPPO 203View attachment 1582592
Take the analogue connections out the Oppo and they'll look very similar. I think the steel plate and added mass makes the overall unit more rigid which helps with minimising vibrations/noise.

Looking at your signature, it's clear you enjoy an Oppo or two. I own neither so have no dog in the race but I think the answer to your question was in both reviews.

Last edited:
T

Take the analogue connections out the Oppo and they'll look very similar. I think the steel plate and added mass makes the overall unit more rigid which helps with minimising vibrations/noise.

Looking at your signature, it's clear you enjoy an Oppo or two. I own neither so have no dog in the race but I think the answer to your question was in both reviews.
I own Pioneer,Denon, XBOX, Sony, Panasonic, Cambridge, and OPPO player, so guess i have a leg in every camp.
Wonder what motivates the rating in a review like this.

Here is a player that got a 10 in build quality, how it possible to put the Reavon up there, seriously?
Reavon is using a cheap drive, and a super flimsy power supply, all it got going is the 3mm steel plate. its based on the same chipset as the OPPO but with less features, and a cheaper mainboard design.
The OPPO 203 is a flimsy player in comparison.
I think there is a general issue with the rating, if an empty tin can with a 3mm steel plate in the bottom can get a 10 what will you give a quality build player?

Last edited:

Reavon X100View attachment 1582591

OPPO 203View attachment 1582592

The Reavon UBR-X100 is a digital transport, the OPPO UDP-203 had analogue outputs, so this accounts for the absence of the 5.1 audio board and analogue audio power supply requirements compared to the Reavon.

The Reavon X100 motherboard multi-layer PCB design also allows a for smaller footprint, shorter power and signal paths.

The lack of support for SACD and, though to a lesser extent, HDR10+ is baffling to me. It's clear that Reavon have gone for exactly the niche vacated by Oppo, but the Oppo players were truly universal while this player clearly isn't. I appreciate that SACD is a niche market (though one that I still enjoy), and HDR10+ is (arguably) losing the HDR format war, but these technologies are still out there and as such should be supported by a product like this. Shame - I was really looking forward to being able to covet one of these...

The Reavon UBR-X100 is a digital transport, the OPPO UDP-203 had analogue outputs, so this accounts for the absence of the 5.1 audio board and analogue audio power supply requirements compared to the Reavon.

The Reavon X100 motherboard multi-layer PCB design also allows a for smaller footprint, shorter power and signal paths.
So the OPPO is not a multi layer pcb motherboard?

OPPO also used multi-layer PCB's, but it is unknown how many layers were used in the 203/205 design. The more layers used, the smaller the footprint of the PCB.
So your saying the reason the Reavon got a better rating is that it got more layers and shorter signal path? Do you have the pcb layout schematics, or are you guessing?
Wil that mean that the Reavon X200 is worse build quality then, as it got a bigger motherboard design?

So your saying the reason the Reavon got a better rating is that it got more layers and shorter signal path? Do you have the pcb layout schematics, or are you guessing?
Wil that mean that the Reavon X200 is worse build quality then, as it got a bigger motherboard design?
He/She/They aren't saying anything about the rating. Just responding with facts to your angst at the rating and review.

He/She/They aren't saying anything about the rating. Just responding with facts to your angst at the rating and review.
The fact is that it got a 3mm steel plate, and a smaller motherboard, the X200 got a bigger motherboard, more like the OPPO design, so how i see it the fact presented is that the smaller/ less the better, and the heavier chassis the better. Nobody seems to present anything but marketing bs, if we need to go into motherboard facts we need the schematics and domeasures to compare.

Im looking at the Reavons power supply, and even for transport only player that looks like the absolute cheapest design possible, the drive also seems like a very cheap option as well, i cant say about the specific motherboard details, as i have not compared, they are likely all mediatek build/ designs.

I assume the Reavon got a better rating than the OPPO, because the picture and sound quality is...better.

I don't have the schematics for either player, but some have experience in PCB design and layout so it is an educated guess.

The motherboard in the Reavon X200 is larger due to the additional circuitry for the the RS232, digital signal paths, etc., to the analogue audio board.

thanks for the review and anyone entering this market place is to be applauded

i guess the most natural competition for this player is a pre owned Oppo 203? you should get one for about the price of this new player

i have had mine new from the first batch of deliveries and can say that mine gets daily use as a disk player or for its excellent file playback over my wireless network

not sure there is ever a point in comparing minutiae of scoring in reviews of different products carried out several years apart - surely either a 9 or 10 on build quality signifies that both devices are very well made.

I assume the Reavon got a better rating than the OPPO, because the picture and sound quality is...better.

I don't have the schematics for either player, but some have experience in PCB design and layout so it is an educated guess.

The motherboard in the Reavon X200 is larger due to the additional circuitry for the the RS232, digital signal paths, etc., to the analogue audio board.
Ahh so maybe thats why the OPPO board is bigger as well? Do you think that the OPPO and Reavon boards are all Mediatek designs for different applications? And looking at build quality the difference might not be found on the motherboard, maybe we should look at the drive, and the power supply instead?
I dont see jitter measurements on the HDMI out, no resolution patterns, chroma handling/ upsampling test, so image better how?

If you look back at some older reviews you will find more objective testing, i know these days thats history, and a review is just advertising for yet another player, and no reviewer can truly make a in-dept review as that will mostly upset the sponsors of the forum, i find it sad that there is no headroom to grade a true quality build in the future, as the top score has been given to a empty tin can, meaning that now we can rate every empty tin can a 10 in build quality.

As I understand it the auto-resume depends on how the disc is encoded, rather than the specific player.

Ahh so maybe thats why the OPPO board is bigger as well? Do you think that the OPPO and Reavon boards are all Mediatek designs for different applications? And looking at build quality the difference might not be found on the motherboard, maybe we should look at the drive, and the power supply instead?
I dont see jitter measurements on the HDMI out, no resolution patterns, chroma handling/ upsampling test, so image better how?

If you look back at some older reviews you will find more objective testing, i know these days thats history, and a review is just advertising for yet another player, and no reviewer can truly make a in-dept review as that will mostly upset the sponsors of the forum, i find it sad that there is no headroom to grade a true quality build in the future, as the top score has been given to a empty tin can, meaning that now we can rate every empty tin can a 10 in build quality.
"Ahh so maybe thats why the OPPO board is bigger as well? Do you think that the OPPO and Reavon boards are all Mediatek designs for different applications? And looking at build quality the difference might not be found on the motherboard, maybe we should look at the drive, and the power supply instead?"

The Reavon's BD drive does not have the metal top plate, if you remove the metal top plate from the OPPO 203, the rest of the assembly is plastic. As previously mentioned, the Reavon's SMPS is smaller because it is only handling video/digital circuitry.

"I dont see jitter measurements on the HDMI out, no resolution patterns, chroma handling/ upsampling test, so image better how?"

The Reavon's playback of 1080p and 4k UHD content has better picture quality, it's that simple.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom