Reavon UBR-X100 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player Review & Comments

I'm struggling a bit too. In my mind it makes no sense to make the 100 DVD-A capable but not SACD capable. Any chance they can add that in the future, or is that a hardware thing?
I asked that question, and they told me it's a hardware limitation.

@Steve Withers Nice review. You might want to look deeper into DVD-Audio playback. There are a couple of guys over on avsforum who bought both the 100 and the 200 and experimented with their DVD-A discs. They all reported that they only play in the lossy DVD format and not the lossless DVD-A format. One guy got a reply saying this would be fixed in the 200 soon but no mention of the 100 getting the update. Any way you can check this?
Another poster has answered this, but it was fixed with a firmware update that I was using.

IIRC reading the SACD high definition layer requires a specific type of laser wavelength and focus. The X100 doesn't support SACD so presumably it doesn't have the right kind of drive. If the X200 CAN play the SACD high definition layer and has the same drive then that means Reavon would have had to disable SACD playback in the X100 which is why I am interested to see what's inside the X200.

Another poster has answered this, but it was fixed with a firmware update that I was using.
Steve how is chroma upsampling on this player, is it as bad as the OPPO 203, or have they managed to do a reference upsampling like in the XBOX? or is it a common chipset limitation?

All this talk of what is or isn't inside is immaterial isn't it? If the image you see is colour and picture accurate, then what does it matter how it's achieved.

I have the X100 and I can tell you, coming from a UB820, I am very happy with my investment and the upgrade. I wouldn't dream of opening it up to see what's inside as I couldn't give two hoots. I'm only concerned with what's presented before me when I hit play.

I do find myself fighting with my better 'arf nearly nightly as she tries to stick her Mamma Mia disc in "just to see how it compares to your last box". Sooner or later she will beat my resistance, if she has something I want, then the Reavon will be tainted forever by the experience of having to play James Bond (Brosnan) bloody singing.

Thank you for your review @Steve Withers .

All this talk of what is or isn't inside is immaterial isn't it? If the image you see is colour and picture accurate, then what does it matter how it's achieved.

I have the X100 and I can tell you, coming from a UB820, I am very happy with my investment and the upgrade. I wouldn't dream of opening it up to see what's inside as I couldn't give two hoots. I'm only concerned with what's presented before me when I hit play.

I do find myself fighting with my better 'arf nearly nightly as she tries to stick her Mamma Mia disc in "just to see how it compares to your last box". Sooner or later she will beat my resistance, if she has something I want, then the Reavon will be tainted forever by the experience of having to play James Bond (Brosnan) bloody singing.

Thank you for your review @Steve Withers .
Do you find the X100 gives your discs a step up visually over your previous UB820? I have the latter and always thought it had the same picture processing as the higher spec UB9000 which, in turn, was considered to have pretty much the same picture quality as the Oppo. So, I'm pretty intrigued! Cheers.

I don‘t get why people say this player doesnt support SACDs when it does actually play them but only in stereo. If you manage to get one of the very few SACDs that does play 5.1 surround sound who cares if it plays in stereo as long as it plays which they do on the Reavon X100!

I don‘t get why people say this player doesnt support SACDs when it does actually play them but only in stereo. If you manage to get one of the very few SACDs that does play 5.1 surround sound who cares if it plays in stereo as long as it plays which they do on the Reavon X100!
Speaking for myself I do. The 5.1 SACD surround is a pleasure, like Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds and Rick Wakeman's King Arthur. Amongst my favourite music experiences. Stereo or fake surround is just not the same.

Speaking for myself I do. The 5.1 SACD surround is a pleasure, like Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds and Rick Wakeman's King Arthur. Amongst my favourite music experiences. Stereo or fake surround is just not the same.
I get that Dire Straits on 5.1 is awesome but is the average Tom, Dick or Harry know what no SACDs support means, instead they should clearly state what it actually means.

If it cannot read the DSD layer of the SACD then you are listening to the CD layer on a hybrid disc. A hybrid disc will play on a standard CDP which is what the X100 is capable of. To listen to a stereo SACD layer then you'll have to wait for the X200.

I do too. About 3 years ago I discovered the world of true multi channel music. I've since collected about 45 discs and absolutely love them. I realize it's not for everybody but, wow, it's a wonderful experience.

This site is all about multi channel music. Take a look at the polls to see what discs are out there. This is mostly pop/rock, but there are also thousands of classical and jazz available. The format is still alive and kicking!

Crap the insides of the X100 looks so cheaply made, i m glad i got the CXUHD, which looks like some marvellous engineering from inside compare to the X100 lol.

Cambridge-CXUHD.jpg

Crap the insides of the X100 looks so cheaply made, i m glad i got the CXUHD, which looks like some marvellous engineering from inside compare to the X100 lol.

View attachment 1582978
Thats only a 8 in build quality, so based on the score you should want the new Reavon X100 instead, if you compare the pictures you will see that the Reavon has tape and zip ties, to hold cables in place, thats clearly missing in the Cambridge.

Last edited:
Hmm im watching movies on my Reavon and not the inside. Maybe somethings wrong with me since i dont really give a crap about how the insides of the players look. Thought it was important how the player performs and not how it looks inside, seriously this is an ridicolouss disscusion going on here. 😄

Thats only a 8 in build quality, so based on the score you should want the new Reavon X100 instead, if you compare the pictures you will see that the Reavon has tape and zip ties, to hold cables in place, thats clearly missing in the Cambridge.
Get over yourself, you're boring now.

Pictures of internals are nothing to do with the external build. The review doesn't show any pictures of the internals and makes no reference to them.

You have an agenda and you're obscuring the review to your own ends; why? Cos it appears you're trolling, going from thread to thread, repeating the same thing over and over.

I couldn't care if it was a mouse on a wheel inside, if the PQ and sound are as good as it is on the Reavon.

Taking the phrase "it's what's inside that counts" to a whole other level.

I'm actually intrigued by this player now. Think I'll get one for my cinema room when I get my house next year 😂. Good thing I'm shallow and love a pretty exterior.

I asked that question, and they told me it's a hardware limitation.
You have a factual error in this review: this player does not have DVD-Audio support, which means reading the MLP tracks. In fact it cannot, since MLP needs to be decoded by the player and output on analog, which the X100 doesn’t have.

Not even the X200 has DVD-Audio support, according to several US owners. The player does not in fact read the high-resolution MLP tracks and instead plays the “video” part of a DVD-A disc, the one with lossy DD or DTS sound.

Get over yourself, you're boring now.

Pictures of internals are nothing to do with the external build. The review doesn't show any pictures of the internals and makes no reference to them.

You have an agenda and you're obscuring the review to your own ends; why? Cos it appears you're trolling, going from thread to thread, repeating the same thing over and over.

I couldn't care if it was a mouse on a wheel inside, if the PQ and sound are as good as it is on the Reavon.
...& is that picture quality superior to your old Panasonic?

You have a factual error in this review: this player does not have DVD-Audio support, which means reading the MLP tracks. In fact it cannot, since MLP needs to be decoded by the player and output on analog, which the X100 doesn’t have.

Not even the X200 has DVD-Audio support, according to several US owners. The player does not in fact read the high-resolution MLP tracks and instead plays the “video” part of a DVD-A disc, the one with lossy DD or DTS sound.
I played various DVD-A discs, but it never occurred to me that it might not be reading the lossless tracks. I'll ask Reavon directly because if that's true then they are guilty of false advertising as they clearly state the player supports DVD-A in the marketing.

Last edited:
You don't have to have analogue outputs to benefit from DVD-A, my Oppo decodes the MLP tracks and outputs their lossless LPCM over HDMI.

so is my samsung ubd - k8500 player a 10 its full of stuff and still going strong plays all my divx collection:)
IMG_20211008_093024.jpg
i

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom