Reasons to not buy a Sony KDL-47W805A

fiddy-pence

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I went to peek at Sony TVs and came across the KDL-47W805A, it looks great.

I have a trusty 6 year-old Sony KDL40-V3000 and was about to upgrade to a Samsung F8000, they are highly rated on Amazon. Then I went to Selfridges (bad idea when you feel like buying a new gadget) and I happened across the LG 47LA690V, another great looking TV, again highly rated on Amazon.

I'm a light TV user. I currently run my TV with a PS3, only watch Freeview, don't have Sky etc. Watch iPlayer through the PS3. Rarely play games, sometimes watch Blu-Rays, movies etc.

Is there anything about the KDL-47W805A I should consider before buying?

Thanks.

Apparently the W653 has better picture quality than the W8. Well better black levels anyway so better contrast. You can get the 50" version; W656 from Richer Sounds for £699.

"Right away the Sony KDL-42W653A 's pictures make a hugely positive impression by delivering a much more convincing black level response than the 47W805 model higher up Sony’s current range. In fact, its ability to deliver a black colour during dark scenes that’s barely besmirched at all by low-contrast grey misting is really outstanding for a sub-£600 42-inch TV, even humbling the black level response of many much costlier rivals from a variety of brands this year."

Full article at Trusted Reviews;
Sony KDL-42W653A - Performance and Picture Quality

My experience with LG TV's are they look amazing under bright lights but terrible with the lights dimmed. Really, really poor black levels.

Thank you. Just the reply I was looking for. I don't need 3D, so the 653 looks great. Will I notice the 200hz / 400hz difference?

I'm not sure about that. You should check the threads to see if any address your question. The 50" version of the 653 is the 656.

I'm debating over whether to get the 55W805 over the 50W656/50W685......I've just recently bought the 42W653 for an upstairs room and it's a great tv for the price. However, after buying it and getting involved in the W6 owners thread....it appears the Motionflow 200hz that the W6 series supposedly has...is disabled and doesn't exist in the menu system. So essentially it is being false advertised and I'm reluctant to buy another W6 set for downstairs based on this.....but reading reviews saying that black levels on the W8 are worse than the W6 is really putting me off that series too.....I've got to be honest though, when I looked at at W8 in store, the black levels seemed good and better than the W6 they had. I didn't really want to go up to W9 due to budget, and many people complaining about panel issues with them also......so confused right now.

All LED's will have great looking black levels under the bright lights of the showroom. Its only when you get them home and dim the lights that you can tell which has the darkest.
If you want an awesome TV for your front room that has the deepest of deep black levels, flawless motion handling, off the charts contrast and wide viewing angles then how about this;

Panasonic VIERA TXP50ST60B | 50 inch 3D Plasma Smart TV 1080p HD Freeview HD | Richer Sounds

The only thing putting me off getting a plasma is the screen burn issue....how bad is the burn nowadays? Also, I'd like to go to 55" as I have a 50" plasma right now....and swapping it for same size plasma would not feel a big enough jump I think....also, input lag on the pana's is not great right? I'm only going to be casually gaming but don't want to be able to 'feel' lag.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom