Question Reasonably priced music storage solution

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by Chris4891, Apr 25, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Chris4891

Chris4891

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Someone posted a picture if their horn cinema build which had an Imerge device they managed buy for c.£50.

Looking for something that I can use to rip all my cd's to and then use to connect to my AV reveiver. Would be for approx 200 cd's (20,000-25,000 tracks)

Any such devices (new or secondhand) in the £50-100 price bracket.

Can't find an Imerge under £100 however I'm a but uneasy with one of these as it appears if it fails the only option is to send it to the States at a starting cost of $375

Perhaps just buy a large capacity iPod?

2. paulrw

paulrw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Why not upload to google play music 50,000tracks for free, and then chromecast audio £30 to your a/v receiver with an optical lead, as long as your wifi is upto it and unlimited.

3. Chris4891

Chris4891

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    What a splendid idea although I'm a tad old school and like the presence of yet another electrical box :)

4. larkone

larkone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +878
    A old PC (Pentuim 4 onwards, 1 or 2 GB RAM, 1TB would be enough disk for your collection) with the free Vortexbox software loaded will rip to flac and mirror to MP3, catalogue and serve out your files either directly or over a network.

Downloads - VortexBox user forum

Good support as well from the forum, and your files are in the best possible format. I would avoid old Imerge boxes because I think they use a proprietary storage format so when they fail you loose access to music and hard work. With a VB you can back up all of your music onto an external USB hard drive using the inbuilt utility and that can be used by many other software as it is in a industry standard format. I have used the backup drive to plug into a router to serve files on a network as well as mounting on a windows PC

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  5. Chris4891

Chris4891

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Wow that sounds complicated and quite expensive vs my given budget. I appreciate the advice.

I do already have a chromecast audio so am thinking the obvious choice is the google play one - it seems odd that they would offer it free or do you get bombarded with advertising "between tracks"?

6. larkone

larkone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +878
    No advertising and you simply download the the free software, burn it to a disc or USB stick and boot the PC to load it. Old PCs are usually free. Ripping just involves putting the CD in the drive and it rips automatically and catalogues the disc with album art.

Google Play will only store your music at 320kbps MP3 so you will be loosing 60% of the original CD data, whereas ripping to flac maintains the original CD quality.

7. Chris4891

Chris4891

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Thanks - if I can get my head around the tech that sounds good. When you say 1TB I'm guessing you mean a 1TB external hdd connected to the pc?

8. larkone

larkone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +878
    You install a 1TB in the machine (or more if you need it). 200 CDs will not fill the drive as in flac format a 1 hour CD is around 450-500MB max. After going through the process of ripping all of your CDs it is worth protecting your investment in time by having an external USB drive to backup to, though if you are not bothered then take the risk.

Check these links for more info.
    about - VortexBox user forum
    what_is_vortexbox [VortexBox Wiki]

9. paulrw

paulrw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    No advertising with google play music, but obviously it is easy then to get hooked into paying £9.99/month for subscription to stream every track google holds. GPM really opens up music and your tastes, introducing new/similar artists you may like, radio stations(playlists) playing your favourite artists etc.
    If you rip cds to iTunes first, then download & run google play manager, it will synchronise both automatically.
    If your not an audiophile, I don't think you will notice a difference in mp3 files.
    Why not give it a go...its free plus works great with GCA

10. Chris4891

Chris4891

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Was thinking of a seagate cloud and access the music via iPhone app but how would I then connect and play it through the receiver (TX-NR609) - would the chromecast audio work with it?

11. ZeroOneTwo

ZeroOneTwo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You need a NAS. There's nothing else more practical. Or if your computer is always on (which if you were a smart shopper is something that runs silent and low-power) you can run a DLNA server on it. Then you can browse your files directly on the receiver and upload new files on the computer without replugging anything.

12. Chris4891

Chris4891

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Unfortunately I've only got a netbook which is quite slow. Since getting an iPad I've not really used a computer

13. ZeroOneTwo

ZeroOneTwo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1